Canadian Tire, A n W

Just because some stations will be broadcasting in HDTV… doesn’t mean people with regular tv’s won’t be able to watch. There will still be the 300 channels on satellite with the exact same thing on at any moment.

It’s not like there will be a flick of the switch and people MUST go out and buy an HDTV or else they won’t be able to watch tv anymore.

you are right smartass, but in the near future it will only be HDTV like Japan and china, and all of european. My firend who lives in Britain told me you cant buy a TV there, and ask Sonny, RCA if they make a regular TV …They dont … they dont make TV’s anymore…lol

“The FCC has mandated that all broadcasters broadcast DTV signals by May 2006. This pertains to Over-the-Air transmissions, and does not mean anything about DTV through Cable or Satellite companies. HDTV takes up a lot of bandwidth, and it is up to the Cable and Satellite companies to move from sending you regular Analog to true DTV signals. This also means that broadcasters can send DTV signals that are of lower resolution then that of true HDTV. FOX, for instance, is currently broadcasting 480p in many areas and this meets the FCCs regulations.”

we are seeing the trend now I can get a HDTV reciever for my satalite, but need a HDTV to view it.

easy solution to the problem is to invest $70 on a tv tuner card for your computer.

Back on track for this topic - The property to the left of the BC Hydro lot has been purchased by a numbered company. From what I’ve heard, its a 38 acre chunck of land, and there are plans for an 8 arce building to be built on it. Anyway, it suppose to be a big distribution facility, with a store attached to it. Also, has anyone heard whats going in the lot next to the government agent… It’s apparently been bought up, but everything seems to be hush hush about who it is. Also, theres renovations to the inside of the old DQ building as well. Ford is opening up here, and it’s to be called Port City Ford. It’s suppose to be open for mid month. Renovation to the Safeway are on hold at this time, but they are putting in an overpriced bucks in with the deli, sorta like the Wal-mart McDonalds deal, Safeway has plans to add star bucks to all their stores.

[quote=“Delirious”]easy solution to the problem is to invest $70 on a tv tuner card for your computer.

Back on track for this topic - The property to the left of the BC Hydro lot has been purchased by a numbered company. From what I’ve heard, its a 38 acre chunck of land, and there are plans for an 8 arce building to be built on it. Anyway, it suppose to be a big distribution facility, with a store attached to it. Also, has anyone heard whats going in the lot next to the government agent… It’s apparently been bought up, but everything seems to be hush hush about who it is. Also, theres renovations to the inside of the old DQ building as well. Ford is opening up here, and it’s to be called Port City Ford. It’s suppose to be open for mid month. Renovation to the Safeway are on hold at this time, but they are putting in an overpriced bucks in with the deli, sorta like the Wal-mart McDonalds deal, Safeway has plans to add star bucks to all their stores.[/quote]

the guys who own the DQ building are doing nothing to it ! they were asked by cityhall to fix the outside of the building as it was an eye sore to the cruise ship people. there has been nothing on the inside since they stripped everything out. As for everything else Seeing is beleiving and yes I do have an HDTV card in my computer but it only does over the air transmissions no cable or satalite feeds will work with it… Its the card from ATI. for the lots being bought up out side of town …interesting… and to the land beside the goverment building every few years they do something to it, does it mean anything no…

Astro, I believe his point was that just recently they have been working on the INSIDE of the old DQ building again. I too was wondering whats up with that. As for the lot next to the GA’s office… take this rumour for what it’s worth:

A friend of mine’s husband has a friend who is supposedly involved with that lot. The rumour is that they are negotiating a deal to bring A&W in there. We’ve heard talk of them going in there long ago, but this is something I just heard last week.

Like I said… take that rumour for what it’s worth which is not much…lol

Mike

Yeah i heard the same thing, from a friend of a friend’s mothers cousins, brothers, dog.

As for your comment astro, they are doing stuff on the inside of the old DQ building, they had a dumpter in front for 2 days, and a few work trucks. I work across the street and i watched them haul a bunch of drywall, and lumber as well as paint inside.

well wounders will never cease, I hope something does come of it, the old DQ builing is in a great location.

Safeway’s renos won’t be starting until late 2005, if not early 2006… they were pushed back almost an entire year from when they were supposed to start.

When I was in Edmonton, I visited one of the “new concept” Safeway’s and DAMN was it a nice store. It had a HUGE deli that included made to order sushi, chinese food, and pasta, a HUGE organic/health food section that was by the rest of the fruits and veggies, a much bigger meat section that had a lot more of a variety of frozen food as well, and a bakery that had pretty much everything you would see in an independant bakery (I’m not taking Baker Boy small time, I’m talking a REAL bakery.) They also had the Starbucks that actually had everything on the menu, not like those small mini-bucks that are in other stores.

If they are going to make our Safeway like that one… BRING IT ON!

This is what I know. A friend who works for PNG saw plans of the site where BC Hydro is. There is a plan (tentative as it may be) to put a Canadian Tire and some form of a Wal Mart (whether it be a distribution facility or an actual store).

As far as A&W goes, I had heard that it was going in the space across from the Credit Union, but the deal between them and the Marogna’s (that own the land) fell through. A&W was demanding way too much.

Is there another site that someone has heard of A&W going to?

the thing in the paper is for ford and not A and W… if you look in todays paper it looks more like this http://www.ghostintheshell.ca/ford.jpgand not like this http://www.ghostintheshell.ca/a.jpg

[quote=“MiG”]Amburgers and Wootbeer.

Yeah, was in Smithers yesterday – how come they have all those great stores, and we can’t even have an A & W?[/quote]

Does it really mean that?

Do we really need a Canadian Tire? I dont really think so. and i think that the terrace one got OWNED by Wal-Mart. and Wal-Mart people are straight-up a-holes. didnt they lock in their employees at nighttime or something like that? About that thing in the paper, if it IS Ford, a whole crapload of people are gonna be dissapointed. I know i will be. and about HDTV, we dont need to buy a new tv that urgently, it’s like switching from VHS to DVD. that transition took a couple years.

I don’t get the paper, but if there is still any speculation, Ford is a reality.

They have already started moving into 970 Saskatoon Ave.

Indeed, when I helped Chrysler move to the new building, we were taking all the ford stuff from the new building, back down to the old Chrysler building, since the new ford dealership needs all the files, catalogues and manuals. Congrats to the new Port City Ford for opening!

As for HDTV, again its a bit off topic here, but it’s been out for a few years already, I think something like 3 or 4 years, so the cutoff is gunna be pretty soon… I remember when DVD players first came out they were like $700, now you can pick one up at The Source or Zellars for less than $100, and they are far more advanced, then the ones you could buy 6 years ago for $700. On another side note, there was an artical on BCTV news last night that said that flat pannel screens are really dropping in price. In fact in my store we have a bunch of 17" viewsonics that are less than $400, and an ACER thats $380 all 1200 X 1024. Way down from even a coupe years ago when the 17" flat panels were hovering just under a grand.

its a ford…lol… A&W …in about 4 years time

Ironically, 4 years is about the time a brand new ford breaks down.

My best friend, mother’s husband was talking to the mayor’s secretary best friend.
Our Mayor (Hollywood Herb) has reported that yes there is gold at the end of the rainbow and that Prince Rupert will get 25 % of all gold recovered. I think this is the most awesome news of all. Just think of all those people coming to Rupert to search for gold.
But there is some concern though as Prince Rupert has less the half the rainbows as we once did. But our Mayor has been all over the world searching for and asking for help in attracting more rainbows, well the Chinese have come to our aid again with a new device that will be used at the former pulp mill plant that will put more water molecules into the air. These water molecules will be super charged with a high yield electrical field that will make the clouds over the pacific be drawn over our city, thus providing the much needed rainbows.
It is in first stages, I think as we have not seen so much rain in the last 2 weeks

Happy days are here again.

Rain and more rain

This much sarcasm coming from the guy who posts that we won’t be able to use our regular TV’s by the end of the year? :unamused:

I don’t buy into all the rumors either, but lighten up a bit.

Mike

lmao

[quote=“Optimus Prime”]

Besides what local businesses do people really go to often? Cowpucinnos? “WOOO Over-priced coffee”. Extra Foods? Sorry that’s a corporation, The Source? Who wouldn’t wanna punch half of the employees their?

The last time I checked a local business is one that is in only one city, and to
be honest the ones that are local don’t offer a whole lot. At least that you
can live on of course. Bigger businesses might just help Prince Rupert, cause unless if you can get over-priced peice of shit coffee at Wal-Mart you havn’t much to complain about.[/quote]

i dont think you understand the concept of a coffee shop, do you…

Neither does Cowpuccino’s.

What kind of coffee shop is closed at 6pm?