Canadian Tire, A n W

are they even in the summer? i thought it was 9. im usually rocking it in the AM.

Yeah, but unlike Tim Horton’s, Cowpuccino’s isn’t open early either. Opens at 8 or 9?

So if you want to grab a coffee before or after work, Cowpuccino’s isn’t the place for you.

Cowpuccino’s is closed early on the weekends, but it’s open until 10 on weekdays.

I really like the free wifi there, thanks to the yacht club!

moooore rumours…This one is about Taco Bell. I heard somewhere, although i don’t excalty remember the source, that the old KFC is going to become a Taco Bell because they’re owned by the same company. I dont really believe it though…just another rumour…?

That one was from a while ago, when KFC was still open. That’s the trend almost everywhere else… Taco Bell and KFC run out of the same place. There was also rumor of a Taco Bell, KFC and Pizza Hut take-out combo place in the works, but apparently we aren’t going to get that AND A&W, just one or the other. But yeah, that’s all old news… who knows if that’s still on the agenda or not, I just remember reading that in the Daily News sometime last year.

Well they are owned by the same company. Thats why the one in Smithers is a combination TacoBell and KFC. Who knows if we’ll see one here any time soon. That rumour is pretty damn old.

Mike

Alot of rumours are swirling around town thats for sure. I don’t think any of us really know exactly what is coming to town but I think that it’s safe to say that there will be some new stores setting up shop in the next few years. Alot of commercial property has been sold. The old KFC has a sold sign up, Lings the Tailors building and Pauls Auto/Oahn convenience store building has also been snapped up.

My next comment is truly a “my best-friends, mothers, brothers, girlfriends, uncle said” comment but I’ll throw it out there anyways.

I have a friend whose mother is a good friend of a city councillor who said that Canadian Tire is a “done deal” . I guess we’ll see.

I have thought all along that one of these bigbox stores is gonna want to be the first to set up shop here. It’s only a matter of time.

Mike

Who’s ever heard of a “mini” Wal-Mart?

ahh canadian tire

where the employees lurk behind the counters and will bolt like startled deer if approached too loudly

Honestly, while we’re playing in the land of make believe, I’d like to have an Arby’s and a Taco TIME put somewhere. Taco bell is gross.

So get cracking on that.

[quote=“Soggy”]

Who’s ever heard of a “mini” Wal-Mart?[/quote]

Mini walmart as in the size of safeway, instead of the size of Costco.

I don’t want any size Wal-Mart… having one in Terrace is close enough… and truthfully… that’s still too close. Bring on a Costco… at least that would bring people into Prince Rupert, instead of driving all the way to PG to go there.

Oh oh oh, I heard Terrace is getting a Staples and it’s going to go into the old Saan store. I dunno if that’s true or not… but yet another thing I heard today.

Staples will have a quick effect. When it opened in Prince George two print shop stationers in FSJames failed (mine was one), quickly followed by all the ones in Vanderhoof and a little guy in Fraser Lake. Several stores in PG failed.
Now you can drive all the way to PG to get something laminated. Or buy a laminator at Staples and find out the 2nd time you use it it won’t laminate big stuff. Or to buy a pen or bale of paper.
It will happen. Within 2 years of one opening. And people will even say to their kid who has no more job how happy they are to save a nickel on an eraser.
I had someone call this week to see if I could make 2,000 memorial cards, color, with prayer inserts cut and inserted in each one. They told me Staples was 20 cents each cheaper. (Staples does not fold, cut or hand collate, the people just used the figure to lowball). I kind of lost it and told them if they had five hours to spare during a funeral and $50 worth of gas they could go ahead and ‘save’ the $40 and hung up on them.
Sure enough they showed up at 5:00 pm with an inkjetted p.o.s. and asked if they’d be ready by 9 am next day for the service…

That’s why there’s a banner over the big Xerox that says
FAST - GOOD - CHEAP. PICK ANY TWO.

It’s really a shame that big box stores have had such a negative effect on small business. I have to admit though that I am torn between getting what I need as quickly and as cheap as possible and supporting the small business owner who may not have exactly what I need or have it at a higher cost.

The downtown in Smithers has all but dried up after Canadian Tire moved in.

Terrace though I think has benefited more because so many more people come there to shop and in turn spend money at restaurants, buy gas, etc that it has more of a positive effect on the town.

Rupert has managed to maintain their small business core downtown but I think that this will come to an end and council will allow bigger chains in with the inevitable population growth that will happen here. I do hope though that some of these stores will set up shop at one of the many empty lots in the downtown core which will help keep other small businesses afloat.

The Staples rumour has been alive and well ever since the Co-op store in Terrace shut down several years ago. There also was a long running Costco rumour long before Canadian Tire ever came to Terrace. It was supposed to go to Thornhill. Some of the rumours have legs, others don’t.

I just keep wondering what will happen to our city cores when more people discover, as I have, that online purchasing has very good economic advantages.

… and I can get free delivery, and I have my merchandise within two days or at most a week.

ooh… a week. just like the 1930s Eatons catalogue. progress…
I’m a realist, I want to see the thing in my hand, to see it work. Then I consider buying it…
the lady yesterday who brought her compaq from Costco in: the modem was dead out of box. the tech help told her that ‘no dial tone’ was an error 670 and charged her $40. I told her to take it back, so she drove 5 hours and returned raving “they just took a brand new boxed one and gave it to me. You can’t beat that for service”.
Stupid bitch drove 10 hours to ‘save’ and avoid shopping locally and got another shitty Compaq without even knowing if it works. I hope her kid comes in with a resume so I can tell him to apply to Costco an Mom can drive you after school…
That’s the worst thing about FSjames, the hicks are so stunned they think the Radio Shack in PG sells better stuff at lower prices than the Radio Shack here (sorry The Source), and keep electing themselves onto the Chamber of commerce!

Well I don’t know how long it’s been there, but I was in Terrace today and when I drove past the old SAAN store building there was a poster in the window:

“Coming Soon. Staples Business Depot”.

There were also workers doing work on the building.

Mike

They’ve been working in that DQ building for ages. And if they were to put an A&W in there, it would really suck ass cuz there is no drive-thru capability and it is next to a bank, so it would be really hard to get in and out of the place when busy. Personally, i don’t think a restaurant should go in there with the current structure layout.

no worries nothing is going in there…lol.