Campotex

i am in agreement wih you CodyBear, perhaps it is fear tactics to some point, i can say one thing, that if I were to blockade a road, make statements that threatened the freedom of our citizens or even started a sports tournament whose teams were made up solely of one race i am sure that i would be regarded as a racist even perhaps a skinhead, im trying not to let emotions get in the way here, however it is difficult, you are absolutely right when you say the feds need to stop wooing votes from some, while ignoring the fact of  what is really occuring here, we are becoming more and more divided, this is not a recipe for a forward looking approach to solving issues that have and are continuing to plague this country, no i dont have any answers to this, just an ordinary tax paying citizen ranting.

I know I can not change opinions on here, but the First Nations aren’t doing anything illegal, and are only doing what is well within their constitutional rights.
Much of what the FN"s are fighting for is local jobs and educational and training opportunities which will benefit the region as a whole.
It seems to me that the FN’s are in a position which yields a lot of power, and instead of simply calling it racist and not really understanding what the FN’s are trying to accomplish, why not learn about our concerns and try to work with the FN"s instead of just calling the Constitutionally backed process down.
We have much of the same concerns, and it is ,IMO,the lack of a coordinated effort amongst our leaders that is hindering business, not just the First Nations.

I have no issues with paying for land claims, except not sure as to why we have to keep on paying!! Several people live and work in town, yet have their mailing address as Metlakatla or Port Simpson and don’t have to pay taxes … WTH?

How long must we be on the hook for??

Not sure about you’re tax concern, but it sounds as though a few people can be in trouble if Revenue Canada finds out about it.
As for being on the hook, much of what the FN’s are fighting for through consultation and accommodation, is the beginning to an end, educational and training opportunities, shares in revenue, jobs and real input into how development should take place on the North Coast.
The process which everybody seems to be against is the means to the end of much of the concerns put forward here.

I agree with you on that point git er done…When I first came to Rupert 10 years ago was basically just in time for the All Native Basketball Tournie and I couldn’t believe that it was so blatantly discriminatory, in my view anyway and then I can’t tell you how often the race card is pulled on me at my job if someone does not feel they are being served what they deserve…Suddenly, I am the f----g white girl running the operation and that is why they felt they didn’t get what they wanted.  It is BS and I have put in another day of having overheard the same comment. I am sickened by it all but where I work, I have to turn the other cheek and yet I have wonderful FN volunteers working with me who valiantly try to defend me. Appreciated but it falls on deaf ears.  They don’t take any responsibility for their lives so lets blame it on everyone else, providing they are of a different race.  I have Jewish ancestry, should I start regaling the woes of my family heritage and what I deserve for all THEY endured, I think NOT…

That’s the problem, it’s not illegal, but it does, and they know it, damage Prince Rupert’s ability to attract business (big and small). The outlying communities are attacking those bringing opportunities (of many different types) into the region.

They could have very easily threatened litigation to the governing bodies to gain action because as we well know, it’s the bargaining over the lands that is the real motivation here. Where are the opportunities to be developed when Canpotex doesn’t want to deal with more red-tape and say “Buh-bye to the unstable, red-tape Capital Of Canada (Rupert)???”

I am First Nations.  I am by-and-far tired of this pathetic economic climate up here and especially the purpatrating parties that keep it that way. Tell me I’m not alone.

This is not right what is going on right now on HTMF, you people should know this is no cultures fault, soon we will be blaming every race in town. These things such as what may happen to the Campotex situation is the fault of our city council and the chamber boys and girls, they should be promoting the city and selling it, inviting these operations into our community. I believe that we are feeding into what our BC. Liberals want either we vote in some liberal suit into this area or they will not listen to us. Just like what is happening to Kitamat now with 500 jobs taken away, Gordo does not give a shit, so what are we going to blame the First Nations for that one as well. We are stronger if we work as one and call on our local government to task and demand that they begin doing what we put the assholes there for. This blaming him or her for what is not ours to work with at this level. We are being screwed not by some people who are doing or saying things to be voted in within the next few months but by the idiots who should be sitting at the table with Campotex and keeping us informed as to where we are at. So please stop, next we will be blaming some other culture for the bad year of fishing when we know it is the Feds who screwed that one up.

i think regardless of whatever laws are in place they shouldnt be there anyways. get on with live get out there apply for jobs and live like anyone else . get over it look to the future not the past.

I really wish it was that easy! We have a culture which is seriously under threat of extinction or of being assimilated. Asa Tsimshian I think we have to do whatever is in our power to not let that happen.

Justin Case i agree with you on the point that our government is not doing enough, your absolutely right, however what we dont need here is a (for lack of a better word) bogus black tape that does nothing for the good of all, but furthers the prospects for someones agenda.

im sorry Chief Dave i must have missed something please explain to me how your culture is in threat of extinction,  i havent seen any scientific data that tells me so, also please explain by what you mean when you say everything in your power to not let that happen, do you think that there is some sort of conspiracy to exterminate first nations peoples?

give me a break lots of you out there you arent dying.culture dying ? write a book you can still read about aztecs , incans and mayans and read about their culture. its up to your youth to keep the culture alive not the government.you want to keep the culture going stop building houses on reserves and build teepees again and stop using power etc.  :unamused:

I think the youths are keeping the culture going just fine don’t you? They don’t call it a pecker cheque for nothing, do they?  Again, if the government didn’t pay for every child a woman has, maybe the incentive would die, but not until then .

funny…but not really  :unamused:

There may be some news that the situation has been worked out and Rupert is on the same "playing field’ as Vancouver as far as the project is concened…more to come later. Leaders got together,worked hard and we will see.

the sky is falling! I SAID THE SKY IS FALLING!
The same ignorant remarks were said when the much anticipated Super Port was coming to town, that did go through did it not? Look what happened there, all the job’s that spun off of that, this town is BOOMING! We’re lucky Home Hardware, Fields and Pizza Hut were fortunate enough to find a spot to set up shop. Did you see that long line of buisness people in their fancy schmansy suits at City Hall, hoping, or shall I say begging, to get a permit to set up their shop?

This is all S-P-E-C-U-L-A-T-I-O-N, some of you people have you’re panties all knotted up and wedged in between your cheeks, you’re becoming delirious. You’re all acting as though this company made it’s decision to choose Prince Rupert then pulled out due to the FN.

I’ve supported another poster who said they should have an All White tournament…I fully support it…got for it…except don’t use All White, it sounds too Ariyan or KKKish, I’m sure you’re not wanting to be affiliated with such rubbish…use All European or All Non-Minority Tournament…something along those line’s. With all sincerity I hope you succeed. Speaking of “The Tournament”, I really wish they would move it out of town, it’s such an inconvenience having all “those people” walking around town and in the mall, (especially the restaraunts.I like eating in peace when I go out) taking away space from all the “podunkians” who spend their hard earned dollars here and not go shopping in Walmart or Canadian Tire. We don’t need “those peoples” money!

Wan’t to protest the Ferry landing, by all means do it,it’s your constitutional right to do so…I just find it ironic that Lax kw’ alaams had to do a CEA for a ferry landing but this company get’s off scot free? things that make you go hmmmm

hopefully the leaders read htmf to see the people are annoyed

I never said I wanted to protest the Ferry Landing construction…I said that I wasn’t “consulted” before they began construction… :neutral_face:

If there has been no public consultation, the most likely explanation would be that the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency required an environmental screening rather than a comprehensive study. Both provide for consultation with pertinent government agencies and the latter also provides opportunities for public comment.

There is no lower standard, exemption or more favourable treatment that pertains to band projects - even relatively small construction projects, eg a house or public works building, require an EA. 

PitterPatter,

Theyre not getting off without doing an EA, the Coast Tsimshian are lobbyig for more strict EA than the current one, which Chiefdave says is a way of makig sure that jobs and training stay local.

A for the port, I understand your point, but there was no alternative location… So everyone kept on trucking til things were fixed. In his situation, Canpotex has another suitable location, and right now the major difference between the two is that Vancouver doesn’t have a few people from the local First Nation starting litigation.