Campotex

Sounds like it is all over but the finger pointing…

To all,

In case I did not speak with you tonight, the continued lack of tangible deliverables combined with the increasing inaccurate, uncontrolled and attacking media coverage of our project, the fact our industry does not need immediate new terminal capacity and we have other viable long term location options such as Vancouver and Portland has lead Canpotex to issue the following commercial ultimatum:

WE ALL HAVE UNTIL THE END OF CLOSE FRIDAY OCTOBER 30, 2009 TO DELIVER THE FOLLOWING:

1.      OFFICIAL RECOGNITION OF THE COAST’S WITHDRAWAL OF THEIR LEGAL APPLICATION FOR JUDICIAL REVIEW OF OUR PROJECT
2.      CONFIRMATION FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE THAT CEAA AND THE REGULATORY AGENCIES CAN UNCONDITIONALLY CARRY OUT ALL REQUIRED EA ACTIVITIES INVOLVING CANPOTEX AND ANY/OR ALL OF THE INVOLVED TSIMSHIAN BANDS IMMEDIATELY
3.      DAY-TO-DAY WORKING LEVEL ENGAGEMENT WITH KITKALA AND/OR THE COAST LEADING TO EXECUTION OF ALL OR SOME OF THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS: EA MOU, FRAMEWORK NEGOTIATIONS AGREEMENT, IMPACT BENEFITS AGREEMENT ETC.

IF WE DO NOT OBTAIN THE ABOVE, ON NOVEMBER 2, 2009 WE PLAN TO ISSUE A RECOMMENDATION TO OUR BOARD TO NOTSELECT PRINCE RUPERT AND ONLY CONSIDER REVISITING IT WHEN THE FIRST NATIONS AND REGULATORY CLIMATES ARE 100% SUPPORTIVE.  WE WILL ASLO BE ISSUING A VERY CLEAR PUBLIC/MEDIA STATEMENT EXPLAINING EXACTLY WHY WE CHOSE NOT TO PROCEED.

Please do not hesitate to pass this message on to anyone who may be able to influence this process. 

I am available 24 hours a day for the next four days (Holly, Tom and Ted are also options, as required), to do whatever it takes to facilitate the above deliverables.  Please do not hesitate to contact me, at any time.

“Where this is a will, there is a way.â€

Saltybear, are you the author of the above post?

Can you clarify where you got it – ie: link?  Who is JON?  AND WHY IS HE SHOUTING?  IS THIS A TELEGRAM?  Why can’t he spell properly, or compose a decent sentence?  “Where this is a will, there is a way.”  Seriously?

Also, you should correct the spelling of the topic – if you don’t know how, let me know and I will do it.

This thing may turn out to be real, but it sure reads like a Nigerian scammer email…lol

How does one facilitate a deliverable?

Sheesh the company just lost close to a billion dollars in one quarter, and has any number of market concerns and layoffs to deal with.

leaderpost.com/health/Potash … story.html

I’m pretty sure that the possibility of a review is the least of their worries at the moment, if nothing else it could be their chance to have a second thought about expenditures in a stagnant market and put any expansion plans on hold til things improve. 

But should they decide not to go ahead now, this latest development will sure be the talk of the coffee shops for the forseeable future.

I know who can tell us if the statement is true or not…

http://menino.com/temp/pond-crystal.gif

LOL, oh great wizard reveal our fate, show us how we all will relate…

so here we go again, land claims and all attached issues should have been dealt with a long time ago. This recent application by the respective bands can only be an added hurdle to this potential project and any other potential investment opportunities that the north may never see, due these concerns of native bands that come out in the final hour, so to speak. 

We always seem to blame City Council for our lack of progress on different opportunities but I guess we have other factors to blame also.  I suppose our Council will never be able to override the concerns of the native bands on any issue. Unfortunate as unless they get what they ask for, nothing will happen for the good of anyone here.

I tend to think this is a bogus letter. I doubt it is in Campotex interests to issue make a statement like that. This is a major project for them and I do not see them putting a 2 week timeline on an ultimatum or they will choose another option.
I believe this is a misguided effort of a local person to fear monger and get local native leaders to change their mind on proceeding with a proper environmental review.
The local media and a few local residents I am sure will be calling Cantopex trying to get to the bottom of this. At some point we are going to come across as a bunch of whiners because every time someone makes a statement or post we feel like  we are not gonna get the project, and need to call them to reassure us things are ok.

Long time listener, first time caller.

Why is he shouting?  Who cares. Who is Jon?  A little research tells me that Jon is the Vice President of Planning and Development for Canpotex.

canpqlx.sasktelwebhosting.com/co … utives.htm

It also explains who Ted is as well.

The letter also states to pass it on to anyone who can influence this issue. My guess is that it was posted by a local stakeholder, perhaps a port corp. employee?

I wish that the local natives would try and work with developers rather than try and pull this 11th hour BS. They are taking oppotunities away from their grandchildren. Why don’t you think about that Harold?

[quote=“Uncle Cracker”]
Why is he shouting?  Who cares. Who is Jon?  A little research tells me that Jon is the Vice President of Planning and Development for Canpotex.[/quote]

I call bullshit.  There’s no way a Vice President of Planning and Development would write such a sloppy press release.  Professionals don’t put out public releases (commercial ultimatum?  really?) with bad spelling, horrible grammar, and ALL CAPS like that.

Saltybear, you should let us know where you got this letter.  You should also know that you’re not really as anonymous as you think you are.  Time to read the FAQ on anonymity:

hackingthemainframe.com/smf/inde … #msg120056

They also wouldn’t make the kind of veiled threats that were outlined in the posted offering. It would be a PR nightmare, and doesn’t seem to jive with the presentation that they made in September. 

In fact the decision by the First Nations to ask for a larger review could work out in their favour. If the Canpotex financials (hit hard in the last quarter) were such that they might be having second thoughts on the prospects at the moment. You would think that when it comes time to make their announcement, they could use the change in the review dynamic as part of their reasoning. Suggesting that they will hold off until all reviews are done and financial prospects improve.

It would be kind of dumb to blow that optic out of the water now and especially in the way it was presented in the post earlier.

Why did someone author this thread while drunk? It doesn’t make sense. The media THE MEDIAAAAAAAAAA!!!

I refer to the Chewbacca:

This is Chewbacca (. Chewbacca is a wookie. That does not make sense. Chewbacca being a wookie does not make sense at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLrvL4Vi9FM)

I can assure all of you this is for real!It is from a very frustrated person with Canpotex,and who can blame him?Just look at some of the posts here.It is NOT up to a company looking to invest in our province to settle land disputes with local natives!

The fact that JON makes the same language mistakes you do is a mere coincidence.

Hmmm, interesting, CFTK is reporting that the document we have been discussing is apparently an internal canpotex communication, which “fell” into the public’s hands.

cftktv.com/news/565/1012984

Yikes, if so, the folks at Canpotex might be advised to take up some communication courses… :astonished:

Be nice if someone could provide us with the copy of this thing as it has been “circulated”, it would  make for an interesting comparison to the online version that we’ve been looking at.

What you are looking at is the original…just a few names that are not included and it was not an internal message…how going to court with the natives can be looked at as a positive is crazy!!Get real.

Perhaps it is about time Prince Rupert businesses brainstormed to flesh out “Rural community generated ramifications” that could be imposed on certain parties that effect the communities overall wellness?

Not a nice thought is it? But really, how long can our communities ignore the threat of business-road blocks and people who are awefully cavalier with the regions economic well-being yet proceed with their misdirected bullying of business to force the government to negotiate? Really, it’s so transparent it is repugnant.

And where exactly is the money coming from that is used to launch this type of litigation? Federal or private monies? I have a hard time imagining it’s the latter.

Maybe we should do the same thing with the new ferry dock at Seal Cove…see how they like that!

There are places that will bend over backwards to bring in new business. Just yesterday Charlston NC got a huge Boeing contract over Washington State. There is likely many reasons for this, with one of the larger resons being that Washington State workers did not have a no strike clause, while North Carolina Carolina has right to work legislation and Boeing can be assured planes will not be stopped being worked on due to a work stoppage.
Cantopex does not need Prince Rupert. If we toss up roadblocks other jurisdictaions dont they will choose other options. I do not see a lot of other bright options on the horizon for our area. This does not mean that Cantopex can sidetrack the proper steps either. I doubt many of us know the details of how this project is proceeding as far as environmental concerns go.
My hope there is a big of give and take and things get resolved quickly and Cantopex chooses us as their new expansion.
The tone of that letter does not seem promising. Sounds like another generation of kids will be flocking to Vancouver and other locations in search of a bright future. Maybe one day there will be a bright future and the sons and daughters of everyone will have the option of living and thriving in Prince Rupert.  One of these chiefs does not need reminding of this because his son moved to Van to work for a few years, and his daughter and grandchildren are now living in Van. He is a very fair and honest man who I am sure is weighing everything involved.
Lets cross our fingers and toes and hope for the best!