Boycott Cow Bay Merchants

hey mcsash did you say the cruse ships are NOT returning or am i reading that wrong?

I want to add that I don’t think a boycott is a good idea, since most of the merchants we’ve talked to had no problem with a school in the area.  As someone else has pointed out, there’s an art gallery and another school nearby, and that hasn’t really had a negative effect on the area.

If you don’t want to spend your money at stores that said no to this school, here’s a good idea:  ask them about it just before you hand over your cash.  Don’t like the answer?  Walk away.  Vote with your cash.

I notice a bunch of merchants have been quoted in the paper with very positive remarks, and distancing themselves from the others. 

Well they havent completely left…we used to have 2 a week.
Down to one this upcoming year.  Its like a bath tub vortex…a downward spiral…and other stuff gets sucked in.
Cruiseships are pretty much done in Rupert…poilitical postering by Business and the Port have sunk it.  Ketchikan has upwards of 10 ships a DAY!!!..we cant even maintain 2 a week.  The gloabal recession will make things that much tougher.
Adios Cruiseships…

I have it on pretty good authority that most merchants did not sign the petition, that most of the names were employees of certain businesses.  Which still has me wondering if Mr. Saunders was speaking as president of the merchant association or on behalf of the merchants association.  The difference is significant.  Was the decision to oppose the rezoning done at an actual meeting with a motion, discussion and vote, or over coffee or beer (presumably not at Breakers or Cowpuccino’s) with a couple of buddies.

I actually did a reverse boycott.  After a long, exhausting shopping expedition with my wife, she asked if there were any stores we had missed.  Normally I would have said no just to get home, but remembering David Smook’s comments in the paper, I suggested Homework.  She found three gifts.

LOL, what no welding scraps from Certified for Chirstmas stocking stuffers this year?

[quote=“DWhite”]
Normally I would have said no just to get home, but remembering David Smook’s comments in the paper, I suggested Homework.  She found three gifts.[/quote]

I made a point of buying a couple of things at Homework today just because of his comments in the paper. 

Awesome!  I love the reverse boycott - it sounds so much more positive.  :astonished:)  I feel like forwarding this thread to Glen Saunders: evidence that his narrow little world view might not be good for business.  We’d probably be able to hear him grinding his teeth all the way from Nanaimo.

And Cowpuccino’s - didja see his letter to the editor?

This may have been covered already and my apologies if it has but it is my understanding that there are a couple of reasons that this location is desirable for the school. First of all, teh location is semi-industrial with retail and hospitality.  The semi-industrial would have been a fit with career planning and the learning which would be occuring.  It is also a much more mature setting than other areas which could be beneficial to teh students.

Secondly, the school district had looked at other vacant locations in town which may have been suitable as well.  The problem being is that the rent, in some cases, swelled signifigantly when the prospective landlords found out that the new tenant would be the school district.  Also, some renters did not want an alternate school in their location.  Seasport was willing to provide and affordable and suitable location which was something that no one else was willing or able to do. 

That is my understanding and perhaps those that are closer to the situation can correct me if I’m wrong.

I shop proudly at Seasport, Cowpuccino’s and Homework. 

It was chosen for those reasons, for sure.

As well, the model we’re following calls for a location that is not like a traditional school, but is in a mixed-use area.  Most similar schools are in the busy downtown core of cities.  This works for a bunch of reasons – for both the community and the students.

The neighbourhood in Cow Bay fits the model, since it was a mixed zone, with restaurants, retail shops, a church, community park, an art gallery, another school, water access, as well as the light industrial area.

We are now looking for alternative sites, and we should have some more news in January.

Again, just to repeat that I don’t speak for the school district in any official capacity.  So anything I write here is just rumour and gossip :wink:

Only after the first choice(s) were ruled out, right? Cow Bay, despite its apparently massive educational appeal, was not originally the most “ideal” spot for the school.

People here might not know this–but is the SD looking into the original site(s) again–or sticking with Cow Bay?

[quote=“eccentric”]
Only after the first choice(s) were ruled out, right? Cow Bay, despite its apparently massive educational appeal, was not originally the most “ideal” spot for the school.

Dude - the reason they ended up with the Cow Bay location is because the rent at the first few potential places was tripled by landlords hoping to make a shwack of cash.  Not only was the Cow Bay building in a great spot suitable for the new school, but it didn’t have a landlord with the desire to gouge his tenants. [/quote]

FIXKED

Dude - the reason they ended up with the Cow Bay location is because the rent at the first few potential places was tripled by landlords hoping to make a shwack of cash.  Not only was the Cow Bay building in a great spot suitable for the new school, but it didn’t have a landlord with the desire to gouge his tenants. 

Fanks.  I iz not a pro at this interweb thing.

Awww…I really felt like I was dicriminating against the cow bay bunch…
So I said …ruperts shopping is brutal anyway, I am an equal opportunity boycotter,…So I bought all in terrace.

Guitargrrl are those marking or Tats for real and are they om your hands? I am very curious because they are interesting.

Nice hijack … those look like henna tattoos …

tinyurl.com/73jx3w

Are you saying that I may be able to buy such a thing at Cow Bay or some merchants.

Yep, they’re henna, but not on my hands - just a cool pic I found online. 

Why not try a joint venture with the nice big campus of NWCC downtown Rupert.  It would give all students complete access to the shopping /business district.  This would help encourage any students looking into a business management or retail career.  This location is also a 10-minute walk or a 2-minute drive to the industries offered around the cowbay area.  It is also a 10-minute drive to seal cove, 15 - 20 mins to the industrial park and ridley.  You can drive 5 mins the other way and get to the port if it manages to stay a float.