Boycott Cow Bay Merchants

Why not put the new alternate school in Kanata or Seal Cove? The buildings are already there and I imagine the bus routes are still the same for the adults that may partake in the special programs that wouldn’t be riding a school bus. That’s not to say that people attending an alternate / vocational school don’t have their own cars.

Cow Bay seems far from a residential neighbourhood.

You’re missing the main points. The school is supposed to be located near the industries and professions that the students will be working on entering.

[quote]
This was certainly the case when the school district superintendent, when asked as to why the alternate school needed to move from the Friendship House to a new location said that it is meant to remove the ‘First Nations label’.[/quote]

Yeah the students could see aspects of their possible future careers near them when going to school…  I find not allowing it to be short sighted and not thought out…

That would leave them with the choice of welder, welder, sales clerk and cosmetician.  Oh, I forgot fork lift driver.
This argument for this particular location just doesn’t fly, especially since these are predominantly male professions.  Why not locate the school near the hospital, so the female students could get inspired too.

So now we enter into the realm of Sexual discrimination!lol :imp:

I saw that coming.

I retrack my last few posts,  uneducated to the topic at hand I spoke out of turn,  I support the school and applogize for being a fool in this thread. :neutral_face:

Do you read your posts after you type them?

If you plot all the schools on a map of Prince Rupert and then place the new alternate school site in Cow Bay, you should notice a near equi-distance relationship.

The placement of this school at this, or a similar position, demonstrates some rationale as to why this location might work. 

It would be near to centre of all present schools…not that elementary schools apply perfectly to this case, but this provides options for possible expansion to students under grade 8.

I had to respond. I was one of the parents fighting for Westview, and I never heard or read anything such as:"there were letters of protest from parents of non colour saying “I won’t have my child with those aboriginal of kids”. 

Our protest had to do with space in the library for French books, class sizes, and room for French Immersion to grow. It had everything to do with Education and nothing to do with race. I feel that this has nothing to do with the topic, and not sure why it is here. I agree with:

[quote=“jees”]
That would leave them with the choice of welder, welder, sales clerk and cosmetician.  Oh, I forgot fork lift driver.
This argument for this particular location just doesn’t fly, especially since these are predominantly male professions. Why not locate the school near the hospital, so the female students could get inspired too.[/quote]

Don’t worry, there’s a ton of cooks and dishwashers in the cowbay area. All they need is a laundromat.

Who was the super promoter “saunders” also representing?
Hes work for 18yrs to promote cow bay?..well because of his “promoting” the area,  cruise ships are not returning to Rupert cause of how it was  “promoted”…
How is it that the cruise ship dock is nicely nestled between 2 fish plants?..then industry up the hill?..and around the corner…with a few shops down around the corner?  Give me a break saunders…MAybe we should sign a petition to keep your ass in nanaimo…and let the true meaning of community show up…by educating our youth.

Amen mcsash!!!..I see in today’s paper the coffee shop guy is distancing himself from this mess - although he didn’t come out and say he supports the school!!! (You have to read between the lines).

madcow

Stay the course citizens…right into the fucking mountain.

LMAO!

P.LAO, where do you live?

I better not see you the next time we get stuck in traffic in Surrey.  :imp:

First off, I don’t have an opinion one way or the other about the placement of the new school. I am putting out some arguements for both sides ( excxuse me if I have cross posted) That said however, I think it was a wise decision to not allow the rezoning at this time. I would like to see some more in depth study into why is it a good location and why it isn’t a good location.  I didn’t make it to the meeting that Steve Riley had, I wish that I could have. We have an art studio right next to Broadwater, my kids attend classes quite often there, what is the difference between the art studio and this alternate school?  Personally placement considered it is smack in the middle of town, and accessible by bus routes and in walking distance from either end of town.  The kids that attend this school need to learn in an environment that they feel comfortable in, I wonder if Glen Saunders had that opportunity growing up? Has he ever been bullied or ostracized because of how he looks or acts? I know some of these kids, they are someone’s child, grandchild, neice or nephew and we as a community need to embrace rather than distance ourselves from change.  CHANGE is good and really by debating this topic in here, it seems that the school placement is not the issue, more of “Not in My Back Yard” phobia. Topics of racism, and segregation  are more of the topic, maybe I am not up to date on this whole topic, but really do some of these business people actually understand what they are saying when talking to reporters or at City Council? Thanks for letting me post my 1/2 a cent worth! Have a good one

Regarding a boycott - make sure you realize not all of the cow bay merchants were involved in Mr. Saunders’ petition.  My suggestion is to stop in at Cow Bay with a Christmas card for Glen letting him know what you think about his slimy move, and how that makes you feel giving him your cash. 

Now I want you all to take what I’m about to share with a grain of salt - just because I don’t have any children of my own, nor do I want them - so all I’m wanting to do here is throw out some concerns/ideas I see, then those with kids can pipe up (I hope hehe) and say if it’s a good or bad idea.

One thing I was thinking of as a possible ‘con’ to the school being in the Cow Bay area was if it were there when a cruise ship was in - it would make for an even more crowded area down there.  Kids, parents, tourists, etc.  Or is an alternate school for older kids?  It might also be a moot point since the cruise ship season is relatively short, only overlapping with school for a few months - part of May, June & September.

Just a thought I had…feel free to poke holes where needed - hee hee.