BC Provincial Examination Marks: English 12

Hello, all. This is my first time on this forum so it’s nice to be part of the avid community.

To the parents who have students in Grade 12 that took English 12 last term at Prince Rupert Secondary, many students had Provincial marks that were, more or less, equivalent to what they received in the class. However, I know that a few select individuals had outstanding marks on the Provincial, and not so outstanding marks in-class. The difference was at least an astonishing 15-20%. Not to bring the racial factor into this discussion but all of the individuals were of Asian descent.

I’m not saying that these students didn’t earn their marks. They probably busted their backs while taking this course. I’m probably overreacting to what’s happening but something like this triggers suspicion.

Excellent first post and welcome!
This is my favorite part,
"Not to bring the racial factor into this discussion but all of the individuals were of Asian descent. "
I am not sure I get your point, of the entire post tho?!?!

Aw Geez. Actually it is not all that uncommon for students to score higher marks in Provincial exams. These exams are set to meet the minimum Provincial standards and good teachers often set expectations above the Provincial minimum for their students. The reason for this is that teachers well know their students’ abilities and the Province not so much.
Still it is good to hear students doing well.

@Chief: I’m just saying that everyone else scored roughly around what they were getting in the class on their Exam.
Anyways, thanks for the warm welcome. It’ll be fun reading into the local gossips and such.

I also think that the Exam was much easier than other years. Most of my friends thought so anyways.
Maybe I’m just overreacting and maybe those guys probably earned their stripes. Just a few more months before they graduate and leave.

I still don’t get your post!!! Are we supposed to to “Yay! Asians, for stepping up your game during test time!” or “Boo Asians, for cheating!”… not to bring race into it.

Anyway, I have always scored way better on tests,but, I think that is more a reflection of not doing homework and not attending class.

It would be great for you to clarify what you are trying to say. From what I read, I’m wondering if you mean that the teachers, in general, were scoring the asians low, but when it was time for the provincials, their true levels were measured?

High expectation Asian parents… almost every Asian like me have high expectation parents. And if you’re Korean, you’re doomed when it comes to high expectation parents.

Any kids who’s parents (ethnically regardless) seriously wanted them to be doctors or similar are literally screwed for the first 18 years of their life. =.=’

@ Princess of Power: I’m pretty sure she/he meant Asians born in Canada, or in rare cases, Singapore = did better in English 12 provincials than others. I assume so because I’m being racist… using the stereotypes widely accepted by non-Asians. lol

I did pretty poorly in a couple of my grade 12 courses 12 years ago, but then rocked the provincials, which upped my grades high enough for grad, etc. I just didn’t go to many classes!

I was unsure of what the original poster meant, but I was not surprised that some students are considerably above or below what they received as a course mark.

English 12 more than any other course is skill based unlike most others that are driven by a specific content. As long as they can read and comprehend never before seen passages and write coherent short essays they can do quite well even though they may have received failing grades because they did not read the assigned stories in class or did not hand in all assignments.

On the other hand. Some very capable students who need more than the time allowed on the exam to read the passages and write the essay can do much worse than they did during the school year. And sometimes it’s not just your day.

One of my favourite all time quotes from a student: After he had written the Math 10 exam, I asked him how he thought he had done.

“Not good,” he said. “They asked me everything I didn’t know.”

Some teachers are rather anal as to what type of content they consider gradable.
They grade individual students according to their own beliefs, standards, expectations, etc.

And when it comes to final exam / provincials they’re surprised by the results?
My opinion - double check your grading scheme. If everyone in your class is remarkably average and you were shell shocked by the results of the exam - something’s wrong

[quote=“Trankalinos”] I know that a few select individuals had outstanding marks on the Provincial, and not so outstanding marks in-class. The difference was at least an astonishing 15-20%. Not to bring the racial factor into this discussion but all of the individuals were of Asian descent.
[/quote]

welcome to htmf

I think I averaged around a C+ in Math 12 throughout the course, I rocked the provincial, and final exams ended up with a B (I think) overall. I’d give you exact numbers…but I dont feel like digging them out of wherever they may be hiding. My point is - sometimes classes are boring, students dont apply themselves because they chose not to, instead they slack off for the term, and make it up when it matters.
BTW - I’m not Asain :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m gonna go out a limb here - I got 80% final mark for the course, did the provincial and ended up with a low 70%.

I’m not a mathematician here but I did pretty good, I worked my butt off all semester (I missed a lot but never handed work in late or missed any) and actually studied for the final.

My teacher was proud of me, she just wished that I attended more often.

That’s an issue I have with school, my attendance, it always has been.
I’ve opted for a better solution, I do all my schooling online now and don’t miss a thing.

Nothing really to o with the grade twelve testing, I actually didn’t graduate from highschool. But last time I took a test to get into the college I scored above their grade twelve equivalent of english. I didn’t get past grade 11 english in highschool. heh, too much missing school.

My buddies were saying that some of the typical 97%-average students that are getting 96% in the class were getting low 80’s or high 70’s on the exam. The ones that scored high were the students that were getting between 60-80%.

@Princess of Power: Yes, you are correct. I guess in a way, the Asians probably shined above everyone else because something just clicked on the day of the exam. They did tell me that the final 9 days of the semester consisted of 7 Essays to be written: 3 in-class, 3 drafts, 1 Major Essay. I guess the slave-driving got them to get used to what the Exam was looking for.

English was a hard course for me, I never did well in-class because much of the course content reflects if the teacher thinks it’s good or not.

Sorry to everyone that got confused by my message. I just wanted to see possible explanations as to why the students scored the way they did. I’ll try to get more information on the matter.

Actually in my case high school marks proved to be a poor measurement of true potential or ability. I was a C- to C student in high school and even had to go to summer school to finish. I didn’t pay attention but I attended every day because I enjoyed socializing. I don’t blame school or teachers for my performance or lack thereof. It wasn’t boring at all.
My first degree average was B to B+. My second degree was slightly better at a B+ and my post-grad degrees averages were A+.
Not sure why it was so easy at university, and I completed each degree at a different university and in different provinces in an effort to increase the academic challenge. Probably something to do with maturity. Maybe a lot. Suggestion: if you go post-secondary take a full course load. Don’t wimp out. If you can’t cut it, you weren’t cut out for it.
High school performance hardly matters in the long run. It did once but no longer. Have fun in high school and don’t sweat it.

[quote=“Trankalinos”]My buddies were saying that some of the typical 97%-average students that are getting 96% in the class were getting low 80’s or high 70’s on the exam. The ones that scored high were the students that were getting between 60-80%.

@Princess of Power: Yes, you are correct. I guess in a way, the Asians probably shined above everyone else because something just clicked on the day of the exam. They did tell me that the final 9 days of the semester consisted of 7 Essays to be written: 3 in-class, 3 drafts, 1 Major Essay. I guess the slave-driving got them to get used to what the Exam was looking for.

English was a hard course for me, I never did well in-class because much of the course content reflects if the teacher thinks it’s good or not.

Sorry to everyone that got confused by my message. I just wanted to see possible explanations as to why the students scored the way they did. I’ll try to get more information on the matter.[/quote]

Okay, First off, no one was getting over 90 Percent in any of the first term English classes at PRSS.

Two, everyone had a chance at English. Those so-called “97% kids” all did poorly at English and even kids who are “60% kids” could do well in English 12.

In my class only four kids got over 86 percent in English 12 and out of those 4 kids, 2 got less than 86 on their provincial and one was Asian. The other got an A and he is Asian. The other got an A and she is not Asian.

Lastly, all the essays in class were marked by one teacher and were evaluated through many many essays, questions and tests. The provincial is marked by several different teachers and is based off three essays + multiple choice. Obviously the class marks are a more better evaluation of a student’s English marks. ( AND from what I know, our English 12 teacher is not biasd at all)

So don’t make some baseless claims about, or suggesting that somehow race has something with English provincial marks.

Many years ago I received a higher than possible mark on a provincial physics exam. My mark was bumped up from maximum possible 96% (I didn’t answer every question in order to avoid penalties for incorrect answers) to 98% due to grading on the curve. Students with lower marks had their marks raised more than that. I think that the average students scored close to 60% on the exam and had their marks raised by 5% to centre the bell curve. Apparently the Department of Education was not willing to give me 101%.

Is it possible that grading on the curve may explain why some students were helped more than others by this exam?

doordoor said:

Okay, First off, no one was getting over 90 Percent in any of the first term English classes at PRSS.

Two, everyone had a chance at English. Those so-called “97% kids” all did poorly at English and even kids who are “60% kids” could do well in English 12.

In my class only four kids got over 86 percent in English 12 and out of those 4 kids, 2 got less than 86 on their provincial and one was Asian. The other got an A and he is Asian. The other got an A and she is not Asian.

Lastly, all the essays in class were marked by one teacher and were evaluated through many many essays, questions and tests. The provincial is marked by several different teachers and is based off three essays + multiple choice. Obviously the class marks are a more better evaluation of a student’s English marks. ( AND from what I know, our English 12 teacher is not biasd at all)

So don’t make some baseless claims about, or suggesting that somehow race has something with English provincial marks.

Aw Geez. doordoor, if you are a teacher at PRSS, should you be revealing confidential student information?
Is this normal practice for SD52 teachers? Does SD52 administration and policy condone this breach of confidentiality?
Don’t even need a class list to figure out exactly who it is you are talking about.

[quote=“doordoor”]

[quote=“Trankalinos”]My buddies were saying that some of the typical 97%-average students that are getting 96% in the class were getting low 80’s or high 70’s on the exam. The ones that scored high were the students that were getting between 60-80%.

Sorry to everyone that got confused by my message. I just wanted to see possible explanations as to why the students scored the way they did. I’ll try to get more information on the matter.[/quote]

So don’t make some baseless claims about, or suggesting that somehow race has something with English provincial marks.[/quote]

Uh oh. Messed up!

[quote=“PinchLoaf”]doordoor said:

Aw Geez. doordoor, if you are a teacher at PRSS, should you be revealing confidential student information?
Is this normal practice for SD52 teachers? Does SD52 administration and policy condone this breach of confidentiality?
Don’t even need a class list to figure out exactly who it is you are talking about.[/quote]

I sincerely doubt that ANY teacher would use the phrase “more better”. Nor would they spell biased “biasd” hehe.