BC HST: Gone

[quote]Are you in favour of extinguishing the HST (Harmonized Sales Tax) and reinstating the PST (Provincial Sales Tax) in conjunction with the GST (Goods and Services Tax)? Yes/No

The final results are:

% of valid votes voting Yes 54.73%
% of valid votes voting No 45.27%[/quote]

electionsbcenr.blob.core.windows … 1-001.html

So the next question is: How are British Columbians going to pay back the $1.6 billion in transition funds (bribe money?) to the Harper Government? O_o

So where does that leave Ms. Clark ? Will this result cause some trouble for the Liberals or will it ?

The results looks more “divided” than I thought it would be, but no doubt there will be a lot less chance for an early election now.

'still can’t understand how the voting public can think that GST/ PST tax regime is fiscally better for the province than a harmonized one. 'guess I don’t need to understand it.
Careful what we wish for.

[quote=“PLA”]

More taxes

[quote=“search”]

[quote=“PLA”]

So the next question is: How are British Columbians going to pay back the $1.6 billion in transition funds (bribe money?) to the Harper Government? O_o[/quote]

More taxes[/quote]

Captain Obvious

From Vancouver Sun

we need to recognize that much of the opposition to the tax was a result of the way it was introduced, rather than the tax itself.

While we need to revert to the GST/PST as it was before to satisfy the democratic process, we also need to look at how what we know is a deeply flawed tax can be improved for the benefit of all British Columbians.

[quote=“grey hair”]'still can’t understand how the voting public can think that GST/ PST tax regime is fiscally better for the province than a harmonized one. 'guess I don’t need to understand it.
Careful what we wish for.[/quote]

'still can’t understand how the voting public can think that holding a government democratically accountable is better than allowing a government to do what it wants, despite elections.

Fixed it for you.

[quote=“zerocool”]

[quote=“grey hair”]'still can’t understand how the voting public can think that GST/ PST tax regime is fiscally better for the province than a harmonized one. 'guess I don’t need to understand it.
Careful what we wish for.[/quote]

'still can’t understand how the voting public can think that holding a government democratically accountable is better than allowing a government to do what it wants, despite elections.

Fixed it for you.[/quote]

'not what I was getting at. I agree that the tax was introduced in the worst possible way. Very undemocratic. But this is the solution? Not the best fix, in my opinion ( but I’m obviously not the majority)

The people have spoken. Democracy works.

So it’s ok for the government to be undemocratic with its policies, as long as you agree with those policies?

What you’re saying is that democracy sucks when you don’t agree with the result, right?

Here’s what I see. You have two options:

• Vote Yes to hold government accountable at the expense of economic stability, or
  • Vote No for economic stability at the expense of holding government accountable.

It’s really a double edge sword IMO. And BTW, I think most 49% of eligible voters who didn’t mail in their ballot either disinterested or just gave up BC politics.

[quote=“zerocool”]

So it’s ok for the government to be undemocratic with its policies, as long as you agree with those policies?

What you’re saying is that democracy sucks when you don’t agree with the result, right?[/quote]

It’s still democratic if he voted for what he agreed to. :confused:

[quote=“zerocool”]

What you’re saying is that democracy sucks when you don’t agree with the result, right?[/quote]

Heh, Zerocool don’t give up your day job, cause you bite at being a spin doctor.

[quote=“PLA”]

[quote]Are you in favour of extinguishing the HST (Harmonized Sales Tax) and reinstating the PST (Provincial Sales Tax) in conjunction with the GST (Goods and Services Tax)? Yes/No

The final results are:

% of valid votes voting Yes 54.73%[/quote]

% of valid votes voting No 45.27%

electionsbcenr.blob.core.windows … 1-001.html

So the next question is: How are British Columbians going to pay back the $1.6 billion in transition funds (bribe money?) to the Harper Government? O_o[/quote]

pull a california and tell them to fuck their hat or have them collect from california on our behalf.

Interesting article in the Sun. I never thought I would see the day that I would agree with WillyZalm. I remember being hammered by him back in the 80s as a public sector worker.

[quote]As someone who viewed Vander Zalm as an amusing charlatan and the personification of hypocrisy, given his own tax-raising days in power, I have to sincerely congratulate him. He galvanized democracy and rewrote his place in history.

Now all we have to do is pay for it.[/quote]

Les Leyne: Scrapping the HST will prove costly

With all the stories berating the defeat of the HST, most don’t address the real reason for that defeat.

Here’s the real reason:
cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c … ml?ref=rss

[quote=“Soggy”]With all the stories berating the defeat of the HST, most don’t address the real reason for that defeat.

Here’s the real reason:
cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c … ml?ref=rss[/quote]

And many of those same people will be demanding better health care, education and other government funded entitlements and other public funded services, but yet don’t want to actually pay for them, however do we square such a circle?

[quote=“Smurfette”]

And many of those same people will be demanding better health care, education and other government funded entitlements and other public funded services, but yet don’t want to actually pay for them, however do we square such a circle?[/quote]

It is all about priorities. The Liberals decided to bank roll the Olympics and spend hundreds of millions (maybe a billion), so there is now less money for health care, education, and other government funded entitlements. This was a clear choice that the Liberals made.

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“Smurfette”]

And many of those same people will be demanding better health care, education and other government funded entitlements and other public funded services, but yet don’t want to actually pay for them, however do we square such a circle?[/quote]

It is all about priorities. The Liberals decided to bank roll the Olympics and spend hundreds of millions (maybe a billion), so there is now less money for health care, education, and other government funded entitlements. This was a clear choice that the Liberals made.[/quote]

Regardless of which political party is governing a province, If John Furlong is knocking on your provinces’ door waiting to come in. The door is going to be opened. Using this to explain cuts in various ministries within a province is a stretch, in my opinion.

I do agree. A clear choice was made. It had little to do with the fact that it was the Liberals made it.

Don’t forget Vancouver did a referendum on hosting the Olympics before the province and the feds got involved.

So if you need someone to blame for bringing the Winter Olympics (which I enjoyed the international festivities while it last), that would be the 86,113 Vancouverites who voted “YES” eight years ago.