Back from vacation!

:sunglasses:
Hey guys i got back from my vacation in Prince Rupert some time ago.
I am very impressed, i do not think i have seen such a nice place in a long time.
I am residing in the Edmonton area and Rupert gets my vote.
In fact i am so happy with the city id seriously consider moving there if
it were possible!
Whats rent like in Rupert? i drove around and saw a few apartments but was
too occupied enjoying the rest of the place to try and find out rates.
what type of jobs are available? i completely understand if the economic situation
is marginal at best right now, especially compared to where i am now but
honestly i would consider working anywhere if it meant i could afford to live there.
i also need to know what type of aquarium goods are available “if any” in the region.
If i do end up going to Rupert i will bring with me Chillers, Kreisel tanks and a few other types of aquariums. 
I have been Curious about the Local Marine environment and would like to Dry suit it
in the future, and with my aquarium equipment try to setup a models of the local environments.   

I believe that rent ranges from $500ish/month for a tiny apartment, $700-900 for an older house, and $1200+ for newer houses.

I’ve always felt that it’s a very affordable town.

[quote=“Cnidocyte”]
i also need to know what type of aquarium goods are available “if any” in the region.
If i do end up going to Rupert i will bring with me Chillers, Kreisel tanks and a few other types of aquariums. 
I have been Curious about the Local Marine environment and would like to Dry suit it
in the future, and with my aquarium equipment try to setup a models of the local environments.     [/quote]

Sounds like Rupert IS the place for you. There are several folks who are pretty darn serious about their aquaria - though they may have to order in specialty items.

An aquarium is a long standing gap in this community. There is a natural history society who has hoped to establish a public aquarium - though momentum for a project that size is hard to get going.

You will not BELIEVE the dives we have within an hour boat ride from here. Even some of the shore dives are pretty sweet - but very tide dependent.

Are you ill?  You came here on purpose for a vacation???..You actually liked it!!!
what was it that got you liking it?  Was it the busted windows and boarded up stores all over the downtown core?  Or was it the social decay rampant all over town?
Do you have a profession?  Jobs are hard to come by here.
Think twice before coming to the end of the line.

too bad you can’t read, cause if you could you would have seen that this particular person has an interest in diving, marine life and other outdoors activities, all of which are in abundance. One would guess that he/she isn’t looking for the social decay and such. Of course with folks like you helping the cause its any wonder anyone ever moves here

Thanks very much for the insight …or lack of smurffy.  I can read…but open your eyes.

ok ill open my eyes but only if you promise not to be in the room

I moved here recently, by choice, and I LOVE IT! 

Maybe you should move here and open a dive shop. I dont belive we currently have one. The business climate here is pretty forgiving too ( you can make some mistakes and not have your ass handed to ya ) I could tell you I would be a regular customer and I hink your kind of energy would go along way in this town as well.

Grreat idea…maybe you could finance the whole thing.

I will promise you the sky smurffy…swear to god!!

you seem more like a guy that is all talk and no action promises promises

I can understand some defeatist attitude, Its only natural considering what
mcsash describes. I actually have pondered the notion of a business around there.
So there is a little bit of a movement for a public aquarium is there?
that sounds Great, i think you folks really need one. If one does
get going i believe you need some detailed examples of your local marine biotope
because honestly i don’t think i have ever seen the British Columbian Marine enviroment
expressed as in Aquariums before, At least not in the the sense i am thinking.
I am Very curious about what type of sessel animals inhabit the region.
Well i Have a clue, when i took a hike around i found some nice inverts.
I found a Painted Anemone under one of the docks and some pretty nice Annelids such
as some sort of giant sedentaria worms “feather dusters”.
Very interesting animals, i keep a few in my aquariums but i have never seen any as
big as the ones you people have! "the length and width of my arm"
Also i took a walk down to that rocky shore out front near that whale statue and
found some sort of bristleworm that had be like six inchs long!
I am deeply curious as to what kinds Anthozoans you have hanging around other then sea anemones.

Funny! In 2 weeks i’ll be on my 4th 10 day vacation to Rupert in 2 years… Just cant get enough of the place, and WOULD be living there if jobs and visa’s weren’t such a pain in the butt!!

I’m quite interested about the diving around the area though, something I’d never really considered, anyone any links? Is it possible to rent/hire stuff around town, as there is no way I’m flying long distance with all my kit!! Sorry for the thread hijack, but I’m in desperate need of some good diving :smile:

Hey,  I love Rupert,  I moved back after a long time away.  But McSash has a good point.  We can’t tell people it’s all rainbows and lolli-pops here.  Reality is this community has “issues.”  You can sit in your home and seclude yourself away from the issues of the community but they are there.  Anyone thinking of moving here has a right to know about our skeletons

Hey Grockle, you’re from the UK, right?  What brings to you to Rupert?  Is there an internet girlfriend here?

Doesn’t every place have issues!  How come your still here McSash if things are as bad as you portray  :confused:

Thanks EXPAT.

Pretty simple Maxi…Job(s).
Family and basically affordable housing.  Well it was affordable when I purchased a home in 1998.  You need to weigh things out.
Most single people that have moved here in my workplace leave after a year…because of the isolation, lack of night life etc.
I mean did you read that article in the snews about the guy who was beaten sooo badly?  He had 10hrs of surgery due to hooliganism by bad ass locals.
Why would anyone want to move here after reading crap like that!!!
I get out of rupert enough in a year to keep my sanity.

There is no lack of night life here.

yeah, you have The Surf :stuck_out_tongue:

Every town has their bad elements. I live in a reasonably small UK town, people get stabbed, shot or mugged etc here so often you don’t take any notice when its in the paper and have even seen swarms of armed police pin 2 guys down outside a coffee shop because they had assisted an extremist bomber… and we aren’t talking small guns, a nice set of MP-5’s :smile: I’ve missed bombs in London by the skin of my teeth on more than one occasion (yes, Im unlucky like that)…

and you wonder why I love the quiet life of Rupert :smile:

Plus, the foods better!

Nope, there is night life,  Most nights you can go out and see the same people,  doing the same s stuff night after night. If getting drunk and seeing the same faces every night,  fighting the same fights,  smashing windows etc…  Heck were home of the second reading of the Riot act. in Canada…  read on…

"Prince Rupert has been home to three riots in its history, April 6, 1911, August 3, 1953 and August 2, 1958. However, the fracas that became infamously known as the Centennial Riot was the most serious act of civil disobedience in Prince Rupert history.

The day had an ominous beginning, as the Port Days parade - predecessor to Seafest - was cancelled for three hours due to rain, and resumed only to find itself doused by intermittent rain.

In 1958, the population of Prince Rupert totaled about 10,000 people, and 3,000 visitors came to join the local residents in the event.

However, the activity didn’t end with the 40-float parade. The seven beer parlours were at full capacity until the 11:30p.m. closing time, which also came at the end of the fireworks display, which brought more than 1,000 people into the same area at once.

The riot erupted shortly after midnight when two police officers arrested a First Nations man and woman for fighting in the street. Onlookers became enraged and demonstrated their disapproval by smashing scores of business windows on Third Avenue and Fulton Street.

RCMP Inspector Bert Bloxham said, after the fact, the riot was a result of a “drunken orgy” climaxing the city’s centennial-week celebration.

The riot had gotten so far out of hand the police pulled no punches with the protestors. All 30 RCMP officers, the RCMP marine patrol, 12 militia, and three members from the U.S. Coast Guard were called into quell the dissent.

The firemen opened up two hoses that hurled torrents of water at the mob. Despite the evening bath the rioters continued forward and were then greeted with tear gas bombs by the police. More than a dozen bombs were thrown into the horde of dissenters that began to flee down side streets and alleys to escape from the tear gas.

During the mayhem Mayor Peter Lester, who had only been sitting behind the mayor’s desk for eight months at this point, was awoken from his slumber at 12:50a.m. and informed his city was being pulled apart at the seams by rioters.

Lester rushed to the scene of the disturbance, mounted himself [on top of] Prince Rupert’s brand new 1958 American La France fire truck (known as 602) -which is now proudly displayed next to the Fire Hall Museum healed from the battle scars it earned from flying objects that night -and read the Riot Act.

This was only the second time in Canadian history the Riot Act had been read. The act defines a riot as the gravest kind of breach of the peace short of treason. Convictions under the Riot Act face a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.

Yet the only passing glance the dissidents gave to Lester while he read the act was to take aim and hurl rocks and bottles at the mayor.

“I went to Third and Fulton and read the Riot Act, but I don’t think anyone heard me. Rocks and bottles were flying everywhere. It was bedlam,” Lester told the Daily News after the riot.

Undaunted, the brave young mayor armed himself with a helmet and loudspeaker (which can be found today in the 602 fire truck) and mounted the fire truck again to read the Riot Act a second time.

Soon after Lester dismounted from the fire truck the riot began to dissipate, but the after shock of a committee investigation wouldn’t end for weeks.

Normally, the city’s jail capacity was a meager 25, but that night the walls inflated to hold more than 80 arrested in connection with the hoodlum. During the 1953 riot 64 people were arrested.

The injuries during the 1958 riot totaled 25 people, 10 of which were police officers. Two police officers spent time in the hospital, one suffered from a broken nose, and [the] other from head cuts, [caused by the premature explosion of a tear gas bomb].

More than 40 people were arrested and faced charges ranging from rioting to failing to disperse peacefully within 30 minutes of the Riot Act being read.

Within 20 hours of the riot coming to an end, Lester called an emergency council meeting and formed a committee to investigate how the riot started.

More than 40 years later, Lester said the poor police treatment of the First Nations at the time was a major factor in the riots beginning.

“I’ve hear a lot of different stories about police abusing natives,” he said. The committee released a report eight recommendations, including ensuring “all available constables be on duty on Friday and Saturday” and “a meeting be held, as soon as possible between representatives of the Native Brotherhood of B.C. and other Native leaders, and representatives of the City Council to discuss the problem.”

In 1958, almost half the 10,000 residents of Prince Rupert were First Nations, and according to reports released after the riot a large portion of the 1,000 rioters were First Nations.

Lester said he knew a problem was brewing weeks before the riot started.

“There were crowds of people for three weeks before that, I spoke to the sergeant and said trouble coming,” he said. “I anticipated something was going to happen, but not to the degree it did.”

When asked whether Lester believed that was a defining moment of his more than 30 years of public service he said, “Well it was certainly a day you can never forget.”  "

Has anything really changed???   Has the Riot really ever ended???