Attention City Works Department

Pssst, look up in the sky, those white flakes are starting to accumulate, just a thought, but maybe a snow plow or two might want to wander out of the yard

Wow give them a chance before you start complaining…what is wrong with people on this site?

Proactive would be better than post active don’t you think. It’s been snowing for a couple of hours now, the hills are a mess and duh, it’s the end of the work day, you think maybe plowing and sanding might not be an idea?

If you want them to plow wouldn’t it be better to give them a call rather than posting on HTMF.

I just did and according to the person on the other end of the line the plows are out doing emergency routes (hospital) and bus routes first. She reminded me that the city does not do Mcbride because it is part of the provincial highway.

I’m a crappy driver, just like most of Rupert drivers.

And a whiner!
I just came home from town and did not have any problems,but i do have winter tires.

[quote=“DWhite”]If you want them to plow wouldn’t it be better to give them a call rather than posting on HTMF.

She reminded me that the city does not do Mcbride because it is part of the provincial highway.[/quote]

Better known as it’s not our job, man.

[quote=“G-spot”]
I just came home from town and did not have any problems,but i do have winter tires.[/quote]

Yeah…driving was fine for me as well. I find it odd that there are a number of drivers in PR that don’t use winter tires.

Had you been on McBride say around 3:30 or so you might have had a different view on things, it was crazy, traffic stopped from going up or down the hill, similar stories anywhere there was a hill, Fulton, Borden, etc, was a crazy little afternoon.

Yep. I was on the road at 3:30 and avoided McBride and 3rd Avenue…a bad scene indeed.

Too bad Kal-Tire’s winter tire sales was over a few months ago.

Gotta love my set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R. lol

As stated before, McBride street is the responsibility of the Highways contractor…

thenorthernview.com/news/137111413.html

[quote=“Hoser”]

As stated before, McBride street is the responsibility of the Highways contractor…

thenorthernview.com/news/137111413.html[/quote]

Really thanks for that breaking news, but here’s a question for you. While it is the responsibility of O’Brien’s, considering the fact that the City trucks would have to travel down McBride to get to most streets that they plan to plow anyways, why when it was as bad as it was this afternoon, would they not at least plow and salt the two hills that cause so much trouble?

Send the bill back to O’Briens if they must, but really, when something needs to be done, you can’t fall back on the its not our job defence, that just seems ridiculous.

I wasn’t on McBride at that time but I was on the hill going up from Conrad. I didn’t have any difficulty. For most of my time here, I relied on all season tires and never left the city by car between Thanksgiving and Spring Break. When I bought a new car a couple of years ago I bought winter tires to go with it. I was surprised and in fact am still surprised at how much better these tires hold the road during our snow season.

As for plowing McBride. The woman on the phone only reminded me of McBride because if we do have a complaint with the road we shouldn’t be phoning the city. We should be phoning O’Briens.

I still wonder why you are blaming the city for not doing something they are not responsible for while giving the private contractor a free pass for not getting out on the road more quickly. (If in fact they were slow. Maybe they weren’t and you just happened to hit the road before the plows had a chance to do the job.)

While I usually enjoy smurfette’s quips (her & Ajaye are a great comedy duo) This one is a tad off base…
Your right, it’s snowing.
All over actually.
No surprise: every service provider has limited resources and has to prioritize their responses.
News flash: your priorities, the city’s and O’Brien’s may not always align.
The city is probably concerned with clearing emergency routes and mass transit routes not cover by anyone else first.
O’brien’s is probably concerned with keeping the road open (if you think it’s snowing here what do you think it’s doing at the summit?).
And you (and your unprepared ilk) have absolutely no time in either becoming prepared for the obvious (snow) nor do you accept the consequences for your lack of action.
But you always find time to whine about it online…
During Katrina, you would’ve been in the Astro dome.

Rupzuk is 100% correct. Seriously, this is winter, and we live in Canada.

I was in Gingolx yesterday, and drove home to Terrace. 170km on a highway that hadn’t been plowed yet. No big deal.

If you’re not prepared for winter driving, then stay home.

[quote=“MiG”]Rupzuk is 100% correct. Seriously, this is winter, and we live in Canada.

I was in Gingolx yesterday, and drove home to Terrace. 170km on a highway that hadn’t been plowed yet. No big deal.

If you’re not prepared for winter driving, then stay home.[/quote]

Yup, I agree with ya. Hah, we left the house before the snow started sticking, to pick up my computer from the shop. Heh, by the time we got halfway home, there was at least an inch on the ground. We have all seasons on the truck, we usually don’t drive it in the snow. But man, compared to our front wheel drive with snow tires on it, the truck was a hairy ride home. I was actually very suprised that we made it up our hill, Herman Street, with ease.

I was impressed to see city workers out plowing at 3:00 AM… but its been snowing since then and the work he has done is again under a few inches of snow… but like others have said, snow tires and slower speeds i can get around just fine…

I can’t quite tell who is to blame for the driving and walking conditions in Prince Rupert this weekend. Due to the massive amount of snow dumped on us in a very short amount of time of course it will be a little tricky to get around; however with that said, it seems to be the city who needs a kick to the pants. Why do the roads need sand before a scrape down? If they are plowed properly the slush accumulated due to everyone driving on top of the snow fall is decreased.

And then it is the drivers themselves who are making a challenge for themselves and others. Too fast, bad tires, just some excuses to lead to making the fellow drivers and pedestrians curse at you for being a moron. Why must a vehicle in a near 6 inches of snow be driving 60 kms an hour around McBride? Does anyone know what happens when one has to stop suddenly at that speed in winter conditions? Hum skidding, sliding, maybe hitting other cars and walkers. Not very safe.

So in reality if we all were a little more conscious we could avoid winter incidents, and perhaps we can try to encourage the city to do a better job with the road conditions so the real morons out there won’t have to worry too much about higher insurance rates because they were still flying down an icy road at 70 kms/h.

[quote=“ratboat4”]I can’t quite tell who is to blame for the driving and walking conditions in Prince Rupert this weekend. Due to the massive amount of snow dumped on us in a very short amount of time of course it will be a little tricky to get around; however with that said, it seems to be the city who needs a kick to the pants. Why do the roads need sand before a scrape down? If they are plowed properly the slush accumulated due to everyone driving on top of the snow fall is decreased.

And then it is the drivers themselves who are making a challenge for themselves and others. Too fast, bad tires, just some excuses to lead to making the fellow drivers and pedestrians curse at you for being a moron. Why must a vehicle in a near 6 inches of snow be driving 60 kms an hour around McBride? Does anyone know what happens when one has to stop suddenly at that speed in winter conditions? Hum skidding, sliding, maybe hitting other cars and walkers. Not very safe.

So in reality if we all were a little more conscious we could avoid winter incidents, and perhaps we can try to encourage the city to do a better job with the road conditions so the real morons out there won’t have to worry too much about higher insurance rates because they were still flying down an icy road at 70 kms/h.[/quote]

LOL, Oh don’t’ start this topic up, cause the hate will arrive fast and furious!!

http://forum.hackingthemainframe.com/t/attention-city-works-department/14545/1

Seems that when it comes to snow removal practices, the masses of the mainframe have decided that the city does no wrong.