Apple Price's

Cool apple lowered there price on the apple 20", 23" , 30" lcd’s and a new Dual 2.7 gig G5 Nice… Wonder what is going to happen to the powerbook’s

macs are still lame. Sure if its your first ever time using a computer, hey why not splurge and buy a mac. They’re still a bit pricy consitering they’re video card support is about a year behind pc. I a fan of the athlon 64 over the G5, half the cost for a better cpu.

What about the mac mini. ? Or the imac G5 ? That is a nice machine.

Sure its a nice small, sleek computer, but the fact of the matter is all the components other than the MOBO and CPU are pc parts that are 1-3 years outdated. DDR333 in the mac mini. PC bottom end now is DDR400. There is no PCI-E/SLI support for macs.

when configuring a mac, 1 GB of PC3200 DDR400 its $225 american, and its probably that elcheapo Samsung memory, when you can buy that same thing for less than $200 Canadian.

Why would you go to the american site and not the canadian ?

Personally for me a Mac is not about hardware. Its about the operating system. OSX and its underlying base of unix is what I like about a Mac.

If it ran on an Athlon, Xenon or G4 doesnt matter. Its the OS that I like.

I don’t know much about Mac’s, what are the pros and cons compared to a PC?

[quote=“VMS”]Personally for me a Mac is not about hardware. Its about the operating system. OSX and its underlying base of unix is what I like about a Mac.

If it ran on an Athlon, Xenon or G4 doesnt matter. Its the OS that I like.[/quote]

Same here

Mig loves talking about this one…

ill name 2 spyware and viruses. :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Might as well smile and nod at the the pseudo expert while he babbles on against macs. That’s so 1993!

you mean 1995. Macs sucked in 1993, not nearly as much as 1993 PCs though.

The ideal computer would be a blend of a Mac and PC.

Well, it’s not that PCs suck, it’s that Windows sucks.

Tell me what about Windows is actually good?

Even Microsoft now admits it’s playing “catch-up” with Apple. Why do you think they keep delaying Longhorn? With every new OS X version, Microsoft has a bunch of new features they need to copy.

But if you really want to form an opinion about Mac OS X, you gotta use it for a while.

A Mac is more than the sum of its parts. That’s the mistake people make when they compare it, piece by piece, to the NCIX frankenstein or the Dell web special of the day. It’s not about X hardrive and X processor. It’s about the whole thing. And it all works.

[quote=“MiG”]

A Mac is more than the sum of its parts. That’s the mistake people make when they compare it, piece by piece, to the NCIX frankenstein or the Dell web special of the day. It’s not about X hardrive and X processor. It’s about the whole thing. And it all works.[/quote]

Man, I wish I would have said this! So eloquent.

Leave ncix alone :wink:

Personally, I like OSX but I prefer Linux most likely because thats what i am used to.

The mac is a great platform and it rocks Windows for stability and security.

The reason it rocks windows for stability is because they control the hardware and only have to support limited hardware which no surprise is all high quality hardware.

The security well I hate to give the standard reply but windows security sucks not because its not able to be secured but because there is not really any security set by default hence the viruses/spyware/adware etc. and if you are running as administrator right now please put your nuts in a vice so you dont have children thanks.

I am posting this from a properly secured windows machine which has no problems and has been running for 3 months (when i bought it). no spyware/adware or viruses because it is run from an account with very limited privileges as it should be by default.

so heres how it is:

macs “just work” because of good designing/planning and not having to make things work on a billion different pieces of hardware.

Linux is starting to get to the point where it “just works” and in the case of my laptop (new as of last year) does “just work” yes EVERYTHING works after a fresh install which consisted of clicking ok a few times.

(try ubuntu)

Windows works as long as you secure it and dont buy shit hardware, and hopefully will be a well designed secure operating system when longhorn comes out… but it sure doesnt look like it.

thats just my opinion and experience feel free to tell me im a moron

Back in the day, Macs were multimedia rich, with a great GUI. PCs needed a lot of clunky configuration to make everything work correctly, and nothing was seamlessly integrated with each other.

Now? They both do the same bloody thing… the interface for both of them looks goofy as fuck, and it’s still about “bigger numbers” whenever you start comparing.

Doesn’t matter which camp you take, they all do the same thing, just differently. They all crash, they all eat your documents, and they all having owners that say they don’t.

Exactly… So what it boils down to, is are you going to pay for a $500 piece of junk or a $2000 piece of junk. Admittedly OSX is a very “nice” OS, with most of the programs compatable with each other runs fast blah blah blah. I use windows, not because i want to, but because i enjoy gaming now and then, and Mac doesnt support alot of the games i like. Also, im use to windows enough that i know how to make it stable, fast etc… I just cant justify buying a Mac because they’re still consiterably more expensive and wouldnt fit in my budget.

Windows PCs are only cheaper if your time is worth nothing.

How much is an hour of your time worth?

Tell you what, I’ve had zero downtime this year due to my computer. Can’t say that for some of my coworkers. One just had his Windows PC down for 2 days. You know how much 2 days costs? How about if this happens more than once a year?

Personally, I want to see Windows and Mac OS X and all that go away, and move to some more thin-client stuff. That would rock.