Anyone get digital cable yet?

On Friday? Were you on the prebooking list. I asked over a month ago and am still waiting for notification.

i walked in yesterday and said i wanted digital cable and she said come in friday pick up your box and it will be ready. sorry dude no i was not on any list, i just walked off the street and asked a few questions and said ok Ill get it, bought the reciever.

I have just been told that even though I have my own HD digital PVR, I still must buy the $375 Motorola box. What the hell?

Initially I was told I would only need the $49 box.

This is way too much to pay for television.

I told them to stick it …

That sounds like a good deal for a PVR to me.  If I want to buy a PVR from Star Choice for my satellite system the unit is $699.  I’m tempted to move over to CityWest.  Satellite is getting too pricey.

https://secure.starchoice.com/english/store/extras.asp

It’s not a PVR, it’s a Digital Terminal only. The PVR version at CityWest is $575.

With the speed of changes in the industry, why would I purchase a proprietary piece of equipment. I should be able to rent.

I walked  into citywers the other week  and asked about my internet speed.  I was told by the person behind the counter that they were aware that some peole were not getting the right speeds,  I asked why our bill had not changed to reflect that.  She simply said it was a decision made by Management.

Rogers is simply going to eat up citywest, I would hate to see all those people lose thier jobs,  but the manegment at city west has not done anythig to compete with Rogers or maintain its client base.  Sure they are now offering new cell services,  but that seems more like a knee jerk reaction to the realization that Rogers “really” is coming here.

I for one will be only on digital cable and have a skype phone through the net.

shitytels service SUX, the only good person there is Keith. They will soon see that LOTS of customers are going to move to Rogers.

I’ve been working for CityWest doing some of the installs for the new digital TV boxes here in Rupert.

Blame the CRTC. In some other countries, they have mandated that one piece of hardware must be able to work with multiple service providers. In the US, with the digital TV standard, it doesn’t matter who your provider is, all the boxes and TVs are supposed to compatible.

Here in Canada, at least with the digital TV, it’s totally out of CityWest’s league to even enable a similar digital TV box under their network. I think the way it works is Motorola provides simply the hardware. Another company loads firmware onto that. And they then license that shit off to CityWest. Motorola builds a box with the fancy SATA and ethernet ports, but the firmware doesn’t even recognize them. It’s just for future scenarios if they ever get the DRM stuff figured out.

A couple of subscribers have even been able to use their Shaw set-top boxes from Vancouver on the network. The CityWest network, as far as I understand, is only licensed for certain pieces of hardware. If you had a box of the same model of one of the CityWest boxes, you could prolly get it working. But even a bit different, and you’re outta luck.

The network is running great these days though… there were a couple of issues initially with certain channels, but have since been sorted out. Don’t run shitty coax cables!! It’s amazing how many times you swap out a piece of coax, or a out-of-spec splitter, and it turns garbage reception right around.

As far as hacking the boxes, I know with the DVR units, that they’ll disable the firmware if you even crack the cases. And even if you take a Dremel to the top of the case, the hard drives are encrypted, so they won’t mount in a PC like you would expect.

Thanks for the tip.  That could have been my problem several years ago.  I became so very tired with our poor cable signal that I went to Star Choice.  I like Star Choice, but, the price has been creeping steadily up to the point where I’m taking another look at CityWest. :smile:

Ordered Digi Cable first week of November, was told it would be installed third week of december… yay

[quote="])!aMon])"]
Ordered Digi Cable first week of November, was told it would be installed third week of december… yay
[/quote]

wow I got mine hooked up with in two days? why so long?

they told me there was a long waiting list,  I was also told that they were no longer taking subscribers for premium DSL, as there was no more room, and there was a long waiting list of people wanting premium dsl, and lol I was told this town ran out of bandwidth and couldn’t support anymore people on premium dsl, how ever they could switch me from dsl lite, up to standard dsl.  a week later my aunty ordered premium dsl and was hooked up within days.  they don’t like me maybe?  it’d be understandable but come on they’d be getting their money hahaha

Not to be a shill for the satelite TV industry, but if you go to Teddy’s they can probably have a satelite system installed in a couple of days minimum.

No monumental waiting lists and near as I can tell you still get more selection from the sat options as opposed to digital cable…

Price does seem to be creeping up, but not enought to make me decide to chuck the dish for citywests offerings just yet…

Yeah, Star Choice is getting a bit more expensive now.  I’m at a transition point at my house as I still have analogue hardware: dish, receivers, TVs.  I’m trying to decide whether it is worth my while to stay with Star Choice or move to CityWest as I migrate to digital TV and upgrade all of my hardware.  I’m looking at both scenarios right now. :smile: