Anyone get digital cable yet?

you get it with Hi-def channels ? the 300 doller reciever

I’m kind of ignorant about these things but these ports that are “disabled”. If one was clever enough could they be enabled? It’s seems like just about anything is hackable these days.

I live in the lower mainland and have had digital cable for years. I started with the basic cable box back in 2000 and am now using the PVR version.  Although I paid over 700 for the box, I definately recommend it. I love pre recording shows and skipping through the commercial, priceless. If you are going to buy one… definately choose the model with the most memory.
And if you have a plasma or lcd tv… it is a waste if you aren’t watching hi-def channels. It is superb!

(No Shaw or Citywest did not pay me to say this haha)

Finally received it, but only 20% of the channels work, the techy didnt know what was the problem, was disappointed no Canuck PPV tonite, another techy to try to solve problem tommorrow. I live on summit and Internet is troubling at times too.

Got it today too.

Works nicely, and I was able to route things with the TiVo and Apple TV as well.

The picture is clearer than analog, obviously, but with this morning’s bad weather, discovery channel was breaking up and pausing.  Just like on a satellite dish – mpeg compression fragments and just stuttering and pausing.  Once the weather cleared up, it was fine.

Too bad the Citywest PVRs have their ports disabled.  Much better to roll your own PVR or get a TiVo, etc.

I should probably build myself a PVR out of my spare computer. I have all the parts… even the TV card. I just lack the willpower to fiddle around and figure it all out.

In other words, I’m too damn lazy…lol

I’ve got satellite with star choice and am happy with the signal quality.  At some point I’ll cough up the money for a PVR.  I want to get a new macbook and other stuff first though:)

PVR building is fun Mike, I would go with snapstream and buy the software with the TV card and remote. you can install on 98, Xp with p3 hardware, or better.

The Citywest cable box comes with a nice universal remote.  That alone was worth the $49 for the box.

I’ve replaced 4 remotes with one:  TiVo, AppleTV, TV, DVD.  Very awesome.  It “learns” your remotes’ codes.

Mig do you think someone can fix the boxes, turn on those ports .

Probably…

But I’m not going to spend $600 or $700 on a box that’s been disabled… just to try and enable them :wink:

ya I hear ya, I wounder what they do to them to make them work? when you buy from ebay.
We know we can get them from ebay cheaper then citywest with everything working, so they turn off the ports, and do what else to them. I wounder how hard it would to reverse what citywest will do to them, maybe a few jumpers in the case…hmmmm maybe Jim at Teddy’s can do it?
what do you think Jim?

Yeah, good idea you moron, display his name so they know who is doing it if it get’s done, DUH!!
I don;t think Jim will do it, A) because he will get a huge fine & B) it will hurt his business knowing that he is unlocking citytels machines. They lock them for a purpose.

ON another note, its not a jumper or a switch or soldering. It’s actually Software, they log into the box via  terminal application to the mac address and then work on it from the computer. The boxes also communicate with the service providers servers to see what the machine is doing. There are lots of reports of people unlocking them THEN getting busted, because the box talks back to the service provider and gives detail’s.

Why not just stick to your satellite is that not good enough ?

Jim wont mod yer box, I already told him not to if you ask. Why not do your own homework and do it yourself?

He should do it him self, then if he gets caught. citytel can take all his services away. Then he won’t have internet phone or any thing :smile:

So if anybody manages to un-gimp their PVR, and “the man” finds out, it must have been Teddy’s that did it?

I wonder if LOLCats are admissible as evidence in court.

whats funny is anybody who knows of (his name will not be mentioned by myself) knows what he does, he does great work. its no secret in this town if you need some type of equipment moded you can ask him. you can ask anyone and they will point you to (his name will not be mentioned by myself). So again you can jump on me for asking a question.  :unamused:

Just to clarify, I don’t think Citywest actually disables any of the ports.  I think they just come disabled by default, and Citywest doesn’t go out of its way to enable them. 

Idon’t think he will bother with Citywest when he gets all the rest free… :wink:

Well I took the plunge and bought a digital reciever, just the very basic one, Mig how do you like yours? I hear people who have it like it a lot, ours will be hooked up on Friday.