Another Beer and Wine store

I too do not see what the fuss is about. If your chief gripe is with new licenses then you should be taking issue with Cow Bay Spirits or the new store at Maverick Mart, those are new licenses. The one at the old Hollywood Video store is a relocated license from Solly’s. As for the location, from a business standpoint it’s a great location it is closer to the west end residential areas than the Belmont and the Rupert and will effectively take that share of the market away from them. This is the same thing the Maverick store did to the original Solly’s B&W, stole market share. But let’s be realistic here, the market is not going to increase, it will only shift around. People are not going to buy more because there’s more for sale, they’ll buy the same from a different store. All the people that were alcoholic before, will still be alcoholic and all the people that were not, still won’t be and the people that are becoming alcoholic, will still become alcoholic… regardless!

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

there’s too many already… they do not question the age of minors who frequent the B&W stores, and that makes me very angry. The LDB seems to ask for ID all the time, so at least they are being responsible for who they sell alcohol too.
I’m just mad to see another one opening up… guurrrrrrrrrrrr

How do you know beer and wine stores don’t ID?
Is there proof of this?[/quote]

LOL…bubba…

I dont think there is a lot of anger towards a new beer and wine, but when we lack so many things I guess we all hope to get something that will add something new to our community.

[quote=“My2cents”]

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

How do you know beer and wine stores don’t ID?
Is there proof of this?

LOL…bubba…[/quote]

Well there isn’t. I’m a young adult, and a lot of times I still get ID’d. They’re required to ID anyone who looks 25 years of age or younger.You still haven’t given any tangible proof that beer and wine stores do not ID their patrons, young or old. C’mon my2cents, lets hear it. And the fact that under age kids HAVE alcohol, does not count.

Who cares if there is another B&W store opening…I say it is good for the community if it will provide some jobs (no matter how little). There is going to be alcohol problems in this town regardless if there is 1, 2, or 5 liquor stores…those that abuse alcohol are going to get access to it, no matter what.

As for the issue of whether B&W id people…well I frequent 11th Avenue Liquor Store and I have seen many people carded in there…I myself have been asked for ID (when it first opened) even though I am over 25 years old.

I have never witness anyone go uncarded there, at least when I am have been in there. Same goes for Spirits of Cow Bay.

And to point out, I have been uncarded many times of the BC Liquor Store…soooo

re: Carding… Once you’ve been carded once or twice, being a small town, the clerks are going to start to recognize you, therefore no longer carding you. To a casual onlooker, it may seem as though that person hasn’t been carded at all.

re: Finding alcohol anywhere if one wants it… I’ve heard in the past (sorry, no evidence to back this up, nor do I want to bother looking for it) that if people want alcohol, they’re going to drink it regardless of what form it comes in. Sometimes putting a Beer and Wine store in a hard up area is better for the people there, 'cause they’re more likely to drink the regulated alcohol rather than drink mouth wash or home made concoctions that are more likely to make them gravely ill or to kill them.

ajaye I usually get a chuckle out of reading your incoherent ramblings. I assume that you are just trying to stir the pot, but when you say something as ignorant as “big mafia man johny” you cross the line. Do not forget that slander is slander even if said with tongue in cheek.

To Bubba: tangible proof… shut up… you know damn well it happens all the time. The neighbours kids laugh and talk about how easy it is to go into the B&W stores, cause they get hassled every time at the Liquor store… it happens all the time and the kids brag about it… your looking for an argument…I’m done.

I know that I’m 23 and I still get ID’d. You can’t blanket all of the beer and wine stores together. Nor can you say that every clerk who works at every beer and wine store, is an idiot who can’t tell what age these kids are. And besides, even if they WERE carded, and were denied, they’d find another way to get alcohol. I’m sure you did it as a teen as well. It’s not an epidemic, it’s part of growing up! Maybe the parents need to get involved to make sure their children don’t NEED to go out and get shit faced and pass out on the side of the road. Funny, I was never an idiot growing up. I trusted my parents, and I knew that if anything happened to me, they were going to be there.

I’m not trying to cause an argument, I’m asking you for proof of this…
Quit whining and throwing temper tantrums… Your argument doesn’t often fly very well when you act like a child.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

I know that I’m 23 and I still get ID’d. You can’t blanket all of the beer and wine stores together. Nor can you say that every clerk who works at every beer and wine store, is an idiot who can’t tell what age these kids are. And besides, even if they WERE carded, and were denied, they’d find another way to get alcohol. I’m sure you did it as a teen as well. It’s not an epidemic, it’s part of growing up! Maybe the parents need to get involved to make sure their children don’t NEED to go out and get shit faced and pass out on the side of the road. Funny, I was never an idiot growing up. I trusted my parents, and I knew that if anything happened to me, they were going to be there.

I’m not trying to cause an argument, I’m asking you for proof of this…
Quit whining and throwing temper tantrums… Your argument doesn’t often fly very well when you act like a child.[/quote]

Bubba, your a hot head and I really dislike debating with you, so I will refrain from answering any posts from you to me…goodnight

Often, I find, when someone doesn’t want to answer questions, or gets upset at the other person. It means the person they are debating with, is probably right… Heh.

PS, you’ve never seen me angry. So don’t assume I’m a “hot head”.

Kind of funny that people are talking about being IDed or not at the beer and wine stores, and in yesterdays Vancouver Sun there was a story about nearly half of the BC government liquor stores in this province do not seem to ID customers. Go figure.

Bubba & 2cents, come on, don’t you think your both being just a tad rhetorical. 2cents, you’ said that nobody gets carded, but I know you did not mean that literally. Bubba, You’re asking for proof when you know it doesn’t exist. Come on, there’s no reason for the two of you to be posturing. I think everyone get your points and they’re both valid.

Newbie here on this site. I lived in Pr. Rupert from 1979 to 1985. There were no B&W stores at the time, only Pub off sales, and they eventually banned bottle beer off sales, only sold cans as the bottles dented the RCMP cars too much. lol
I was interested to hear that Maverick Mart now has a B&W store. Lived a block away and they were noted at the time for being innovative and adding new features to the store. Never thought that I would see the day that they had a liquor license. I don’t suppose that either Ken Batch or Ken Hodgson would still be involved in the store after 25 years or so? Or their kids? And am I to understand that Solly’s pub is shut down? Hoisted many a beer there, and the staff were great. Actually the staff were great at all the bars I frequented, all too often. (grin)

Have been reading the Pr. Rupert forum for several months now and reminiscing. The only business owner’s name that I have recognized is Ted Sylvester at Breakers. At the time he also owned the Empress Pub. Nice to hear that he is still around. Great guy. So, as I said, I having been reading this forum for several months, as I was thinking of moving back there. But from the sounds of things, Pr. Rupert is going down the tubes. Or are there just a few constant posters that really hate everything and everyone in the town?

[quote=“worksforbeer69”]Newbie here on this site. I lived in Pr. Rupert from 1979 to 1985. There were no B&W stores at the time, only Pub off sales, and they eventually banned bottle beer off sales, only sold cans as the bottles dented the RCMP cars too much. lol
I was interested to hear that Maverick Mart now has a B&W store. Lived a block away and they were noted at the time for being innovative and adding new features to the store. Never thought that I would see the day that they had a liquor license. I don’t suppose that either Ken Batch or Ken Hodgson would still be involved in the store after 25 years or so? Or their kids? And am I to understand that Solly’s pub is shut down? Hoisted many a beer there, and the staff were great. Actually the staff were great at all the bars I frequented, all too often. (grin)

Have been reading the Pr. Rupert forum for several months now and reminiscing. The only business owner’s name that I have recognized is Ted Sylvester at Breakers. At the time he also owned the Empress Pub. Nice to hear that he is still around. Great guy. So, as I said, I having been reading this forum for several months, as I was thinking of moving back there. But from the sounds of things, Pr. Rupert is going down the tubes. Or are there just a few constant posters that really hate everything and everyone in the town?[/quote]

Maverick has had different owners for years but they still make the best chicken ribs and taters in town. Prince rupert is not going down the tubes as it has reached the bottom. just over 12,000 people compared to the 18-20,000 in the early 80’s

A bit of clarification is in order. The Maverick Mart owns the building but the license and the store belong to the Crest Hotel. Not sure if they have a stake in but I don’t think they do.

It is a very impressive building, I mean it is very big! I hope they broaden the range of liquor available, and all this talk of alcoholics, why do they get all the attention, I plan on supporting another local business too, the alcoholics should’nt be getting all the credit here.

[quote=“worksforbeer69”]Newbie here on this site. I lived in Pr. Rupert from 1979 to 1985. There were no B&W stores at the time, only Pub off sales, and they eventually banned bottle beer off sales, only sold cans as the bottles dented the RCMP cars too much. lol

Have been reading the Pr. Rupert forum for several months now and reminiscing. The only business owner’s name that I have recognized is Ted Sylvester at Breakers. At the time he also owned the Empress Pub. Nice to hear that he is still around. Great guy. So, as I said, I having been reading this forum for several months, as I was thinking of moving back there. But from the sounds of things, Pr. Rupert is going down the tubes. Or are there just a few constant posters that really hate everything and everyone in the town?[/quote]

Rupert is a great place to live…it has hit the bottom for sure since the pulp mill shut down, but I believe it is a bit better here than it was before the Port expansion announcement in 2007. The population has rebounded a tad (from 12,000 to just under 13,000), Phase 2 is still hopefully on the horizon for Fairview container terminal and Ridley Coal Terminal is getting ready to expand as well.

The guy who owns Maverick Mart is a super nice guy. They still bring in specialty stuff, and it’s a neat little store. I moved to Rupert just under 3 years ago. I like it overall, but sometimes I miss home. There are quite a few whiners on this forum who badmouth the town a lot, but they would bitch no matter WHAT town they lived in!

This is the truth.