Another Beer and Wine store

what the hell is wrong with city council… why do we need another outlet for alcohol…

where is this one going five corners? We need that like we need more poverty in town, very sad …

I dont think city council has a say in this. Pretty sure it is controlled by the liquor licensing branch (provincial govt). I think that any area that is zoned commercial can have a beer and wine store.

the old Hollywood video store… lots of floor space in there… this is just stupid, really stupid for a town this size…
I thought it has to be passed by council … WTF !!!

Only so many liquor licences can be granted in an area (up to whom? I don’t know) and the “new” liquor store has Solly’s old licence, so really, just look at it as a store that has moved, as opposed to a NEW store.

This has been a rumor for a long time… That location is awful… but I guess they want to have one near the Rafles and BC Housing 'catchment’
Really is sad that the only new business is a beer and wine store… More profit from addictions…

The beer and wine store isn’t quite the end of the world development being promoted here.

For one thing it’s simply a re-location of one beer and wine licence from one side of town to the other, there is no beer and wine store offering its services to the west side of town.

Concerns over Raffles for instance seem a little weird, considering there’s an actual bar in the basement of the same hotel. And the folks at Raffles and BC Housing as identified by a previous poster, if so inclined will probably make the extra two block walk to the Belmont Beer and Wine store.

As in anything, isn’t it the personal responsibility of the population at large to show restraint, if they don’t want to frequent the place don’t, otherwise perhaps it’s best to close all the bars, beer and wine stores and such in the city, Prohibition didn’t work particularly well the first time around.

Frankly the concern should be best directed to the lack of services offered by Northern Health in the area of addiction problems, the lack of direction from the city towards that issue, that’s where the real story might be, not whether a beer and wine store opens up in the one part of town that doesn’t have one.

My understanding is that the license can’t be transferred across McBride Street.

If a liquor store were to go in at this location, the principles would have to apply for a new license.

Well, the fact is, it’s the old Solly’s licence.

the pub license can’t go beyond McBride Street, beer and wine license can be anywhere within the city’s jurisdiction, but the old law was the pub had to be open before beer and wine store was allowed to be open but government changed that law, it is not up to city hall anymore, city hall only has jurisdiction if a rezoning has to be done

Why do people assume that the more liquor outlets there are in this town the more damage it will do? People that want to drink will drink. It doesn’t matter whether they have to go two blocks or twenty blocks to get the alcohol. The rate of alcoholism in this town is probably, at best, the same as it was twenty five years ago, and probably higher. Yet we have a lot less bar seats today than we did twenty five years ago. The Commercial is closed, as is Solly’s. TJ’s and the Savoy burned down. We are talking 300+ bar seats gone, yet people still find a way to drink to excess, if they want to. I think that who ever wants to put up a beer and wine store should be allowed to, if they meet certain criteria. The more the merrier. Competition creates better service and prices. We don’t limit the number of grocery stores, corner stores, restaurants, clothing stores or gas stations. Why should we limit the number of beer and wine stores? I am not ecstatic about the location of the new beer and wine store, since I live in the area. As long as it does not create problems I will learn to live with it. We do, after all, live in a capitalist society that last time I looked.

Until you have one with 12-20 people at any given hour hanging around, panhandling, pestering customers, eyeing your car and peeing just around the corner of the store even while the cops are hauling them away 2 at a time all freaking day long.
With a ceiling that sags from decades of leaks, a floor that sags as you walk around inside, is filthy and has no fire exit.
And there’s an LCB less than 100m away and they still got a license and kept it.
Then you can say you KNOW the Inspectors take bribes.

I fail to see how this liquor store is a problem. If its profitable then it was obviously needed. It won’t increase alcoholism because any alcoholic who wouldn’t walk the extra 5 minutes to the belmont isn’t an alcoholic

Whoo Hoo now I dont have to drink & drive that far when I run out of beer …:smile:

there’s too many already… they do not question the age of minors who frequent the B&W stores, and that makes me very angry. The LDB seems to ask for ID all the time, so at least they are being responsible for who they sell alcohol too.
I’m just mad to see another one opening up… guurrrrrrrrrrrr

[quote=“My2cents”]

there’s too many already… they do not question the age of minors who frequent the B&W stores, and that makes me very angry. The LDB seems to ask for ID all the time, so at least they are being responsible for who they sell alcohol too.
I’m just mad to see another one opening up… guurrrrrrrrrrrr[/quote]

The more the better. Neighborhood pubs and liquor stores reduce drinking and driving and save lives. I really just dont understand how there can be too many. Unless you want people to die?

[quote=“My2cents”]

I’m just mad to see another one opening up… guurrrrrrrrrrrr[/quote]

How do you know beer and wine stores don’t ID?
Is there proof of this?

Good question Bubbasteve, however I have seen the B&W’s card under age kids, however it is hard to card the perverts, and booze runners, that linger around, making money off of our kids, by running in for them. I see adults buying beer, and liquor, walk out, and pass it off half a block away, and the B&W workers know that it is happening, however once the customer is gone, they are gone. Truly sad it is. But then again, it is also just as sad to kids asking people to run for them, as I have had my share of kids ask me to do booze runs for them, and I always answer with this, “sorry, I don’t run”, and yet the kids still ask. Unfortunately it doesn’t matter how many B&W’s we have, alcoholism is, and always be a big part, and a big problem in Prince Rupert.

Boy im suprised that jack didnt say to the big mafia man johny NO YOU MAY NOT.

It seems like everyone is making it out to be a huge problem in Rupert, when really it’s a problem that goes on all around the world, and has been going on forever. It happened when I was young, it happened when my parents were young, and their parents, and so on. This isn’t a new thing! If someone can open up a store, and make money in our town, then why not? It will add a few more jobs to the job market. There ARE programs that help alcoholics in this town, there is Narcotics anonymous , there is al anon, which helps family and friends of alcoholics, there is Alcoholics anonymous. There’s also a very helpful counseling center at northern health. I don’t see why people think there aren’t resources out there for alcoholism (the blanket term for addiction). The problem is YOU HAVE TO WANT THE HELP! Blaming it on the system is just stupid. When are people going to start blaming the addicts, instead of taking it out on the system?

If you make a choice, should you not be responsible for said choice?
Even though alcoholism is hereditary, it doesn’t mean that everyone who has alcoholic parents, is going to become one themselves…

Choice = Responsibility…