All native tournament website...?

I don’t believe you have proven there’s no racial exclusion. Simply saying I’m wrong, as much as you like to say it, doesn’t mean I’m wrong.

And I really find your whole way of arguing to be invalid; that you are allowed to draw on examples of completely unrelated things in an effort to prove your points, weak as they are, but when I do it I am labelled as “you’ll change the topic and avoid it like crazy, but never admit that you were wrong.”

Hey, you said it was racially exclusive. It’s not. There are white, and other races, that participate. So get over it, you’re wrong. You won’t accept that you’re wrong, of course, and you’ll shift the focus. Now you’re shifting it to me.

It’s not racially exclusive. They don’t exclude any races, so there’s your proof.

Yeah, sorry to break it to you all, but you do have to be at least part native to play in the All-Native Tournament. I know all your hopes and dreams have suddenly been broken.

On a more serious note, “All-Native” does not mean “you have to be 100% native to play in our tournament”. Otherwise, that would have excluded myself. If you’ve ever watched the games, you would have noticed that there are plenty of guys that seem like they’re white as a ghost, but they do somehow have some native blood in them. I think the rule was that you had to be at least 1/8 native to be in the tournament. So, indeed, you very well could call this tournament racist, and you would be totally correct.

However, that does not mean that if you sit down to watch a game, all you’re going to see is lots of brown skinned people. In fact, especially nowadays, you will see lots of people whom have very pale skin. Also, you’ll often see the odd black guy that comes to play in the tournament as well. In fact, one of the better players that I’d ever seen play in the tournament was black.

Despite the “1/8” rule, I don’t find that they are super tight about it. In fact, you’ll often here people complain that a non-native looking person is playing. The way they always get around the rule is to lie. Now, neither I, nor anyone else can prove it, so they are allowed to play. Basically the way that works, is that some “grandparents” were one part of some now non-existant native band, and because they now no longer exist, there’s no proof that they are lying. So, no proof, so now they can play.

Frankly, I don’t care. I’m a fan of basketball, not a fan of people with a certain skin color that plays basketball. I’ve played with and against, and watched people of many different races and skin colors play basketball. So, maybe I’m more accepting than most.

button blanket shaq gonna fuck some shit up this year then.

i saw on their website there was a change in the rules regarding keeping the tournament local and promoting amateur development in our area. so maybe they’ve rectified that issue russel ?

It’s nowhere in the official rules. I’d love to see where the "1/8"th thing is listed. They have strict rules about “pick-up” players being from BC or Alaska, and that you can’t pay players (except for expenses). But no mention of how native one must be to play.

I wonder if a team from a local village was short a player, could they just “pick-up” a person like me or hoshq to play for them (and be assured a victory). Of course, my grandmother was native.

You’re right, though, I’ve seen games with white guys and a black guy, as well as native guys.

I haven’t looked anything up but maybe the tournament was called All Native because they weren’t allowed to play in other tournaments? I don’t know, maybe something along the lines of a black water fountain.

If you’re going by the rules on the website, there is a LOT more rules to the tournament than that. My old man had a full copy of all the rules and stuff before, and I do in fact remember reading the “1/8” dealie. The rules on the website are more to do with the conduct of the teams, and not really with elegibility. I believe they do have an actual constitution, and that’s how they are able to exclude basically whomever they want.

Think of college sports, and even high school sports. Since they have rules and/or a constitution, they can exclude players based on what is accepted in the rules/constitution. In college, if you’re dumb, and you’re failing classes, you can be excluded from playing. I know in the States, I’m not sure about Canada, but if you ever get paid to play, even something as petty as recieving a free shirt from a business, you’re no longer an “amateur” player, and you’re exluded. In high school, before basically every trip, we had to get a grades check filled out, and if we were dicking around in class, we didn’t go. It’s all rules and regulations.

Is it fair to exclude someone from playing high school basketball because of their intelligence? I don’t think so. Is it fair to exlude someone to play in a basketball tournament because of race? I don’t think so. But, again, it’s rules and regulations. As you do see on the website, though, they do talk a lot about “local development”, and “keeping the integrity of the tournament”. In other words, don’t expect to see the name changed any time soon, nor to expect the racial context of the tournament to change anytime soon.

As for button blanketing up Shaq, hell, I’d love to see that. I’d ditch college to go up there and see that. Shaq’s probably my favourite player in the NBA right now. That’s why I wish we still have the Vancouver Grizzlies around, just so I could go see him play.

Hey, think you could get a copy of that part? Maybe post it?

I tried e-mailing the e-mail listed on the website, but it bounced.

[quote=“MiG”]Hey, think you could get a copy of that part? Maybe post it?

I tried e-mailing the e-mail listed on the website, but it bounced.[/quote]

I’m not in Rupert for another few weeks. I’ll try dig up it up when I get home.

The funny thing about the whole “eligability rule” is that you usually never see it brought up until some team is getting there ass handed to them in a game they feel they should’ve won. I have seen way too many time where they will, in fact, stop the game for a couple minutes, and force a player to produce something, anything, that may prove that they are native. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team disqualified for having that ineligable player yet, but it does suck when they delay the game for no real good reason.

I’m home! ANd no, I can assure you… you dont have to be “1/8” to play. That’s crap. I have friends who are of NO aboriginal decent and… truthfully, nobody from any band of any coach will care. If you can play, hey, good job, you’re in. It happens to be a majority of aboriginal people because it IS the villages competing.
If you went to the MSN search engine and put “ANBT” you’ll see a lot of the pictures of the teams who placed. Trust me, they’re not all brown-skinned.
There’s no way they’re going to exclude people because they dont have some nation-blood in them. I’ve played in the ANBT. My dance group had to do the registration.

[quote=“BigThumb”]

Weird question! Of course if someone is from the area and loves basketball, this tournament must be the ultimate in terms of amateur basketball. I don’t play the game but if I was a decent player, even though I am not first nation, I would love to be invited by a village to play for them. Who wouldn’t want to play?
The name “All Native” may imply only native to some people, but it may also mean organized by First Nation people, incuding First Nation villages, celebrating native traditions and so on.
What’s the big deal? Basketball, which I don’t like that much anyway, is still a great game and it just so happen that in this part of the world, the first nations culture has connected with it. So why can’t they have a great big tournament?[/quote]

Its the fact that a few white people get pissy over the fact that its jsut first nations playing, but if they were actually given the opportunity to actually play most would turn it down.

I couldnt care, basketball sucks.

I agree, but that NBA fight including fans,pop/beer and chairs was rather entertaining.

[quote=“Imagine”]

I agree, but that NBA fight including fans,pop/beer and chairs was rather entertaining.[/quote]

Indeed it was, I r dissapointed Reggie Miller did not join in on the fight…than again I didn’t even know if he was playing that night or for that matter still is playing ?

[quote=“DjTux”]

I agree, but that NBA fight including fans,pop/beer and chairs was rather entertaining.

Indeed it was, I r dissapointed Reggie Miller did not join in on the fight…than again I didn’t even know if he was playing that night or for that matter still is playing ?[/quote]

no clue, the tv was on mute so it was purely eye candy.

Well as long as your respectful to yourself enough to do that its all good

The fans were more retarded than the basketball players I think

I just think the majority of the NBA players have too much of an ego.

Whenever somebody mentions ego, I think of waffles. By the way, those new french toast things that you can buy to put in the toaster, anyone try them? Much better than waffles.

[quote=“Adkins”]They do let people play. You dont need to be Aboriginal to play. It’s the All-Native Basketball Tournament because each village play against each other. No where in any rule does it say that someone who’s white can’t play. If you went to watch a few games… I’m sure you’d see that.
However, you’re also in no position to say it’s discriminating considering you’ve most likely never seen a game (or you’d know that anyone can play) and this is the land of an aboriginal nation. I can’t see in any aspect or perspective how it’s excluding anyone.[/quote]

ummm actaully you need to be 1/8 native i think it is or 1/16, with a STATUS CARD, otherwise you can’t play.