Air jazz/express to close 3 bases

I was wondering were local news has been lately. I was told yesterday that aircanada express or jazz or wo ever you wanna call them, have slated the closure of several bases. prince Rupert, sandspit and smithers.

funny how only a short period of time ago terrace made an announcement that flights are increasing there. I see this as the greatest boldest move to make Terrace a truly regional airport.

Several jobs to be effected. union right now is arguing these routes are profitable and are going to arbitration at the end of the month to fight these closures.

This will effect travel on and out of PR

I heard the same news but it is not for sure. We will have to wait till March to hear the final decision and outcome. I am thinking it has to do with an agreement with West Jet but that is just a speculation.

And y’all heard this where? Prince Rumors again? I am not a sceptic so I vote this is not going to happen.

Actually no. Didn’t hear in Prince Rupert. An email went around but only to Air Canada employees. Sorry u fail…

wimp.com/parkingfail/

I read in the Terrace paper that they are going to be adding extra flights into Smithers increasing from 100 to 150 passengers.

extra flights for terrace…that will in essence boost terrace numbers and there will be a large convoy of busses moving back and forth…

I still vote it won’t happen…

unfortuntately this isn’t a cause of a democratic decision…
there will be no vote…it will be in the hands of an arbitraitor.

much cheaper to fly outta of terrace …terrace doesn’t have a million dollar a year tax payer funded ferry…

lets see how this falls into place.

[quote=“mcsash”]I was wondering were local news has been lately. I was told yesterday that aircanada express or jazz or wo ever you wanna call them, have slated the closure of several bases. prince Rupert, sandspit and smithers.

funny how only a short period of time ago terrace made an announcement that flights are increasing there. I see this as the greatest boldest move to make Terrace a truly regional airport.

Several jobs to be effected. union right now is arguing these routes are profitable and are going to arbitration at the end of the month to fight these closures.

This will effect travel on and out of PR[/quote]

Would the person who told you this information be the same dude that saw the “Cougar”?

completely different from cougar source…but thanks for the burn on that.

just cant believe how quiet this has been kept…

[quote=“mcsash”]completely different from cougar source…but thanks for the burn on that.

just cant believe how quiet this has been kept…[/quote]

This has been kept quiet because Air Jazz will not be pulling out of Prince Rupert. Show the proof of this being said, where is the information.

[quote=“mcsash”]I was wondering were local news has been lately. I was told yesterday that aircanada express or jazz or wo ever you wanna call them, have slated the closure of several bases. prince Rupert, sandspit and smithers.

This will effect travel on and out of PR[/quote]

I really hope this does not happen, it will be a blow to Jazz workers.

Air Canada Jazz has an actual base in YPR?

lol

If we loose Air Canada possibly Westjet will move in and then service will be 10 fold.

Extra summer flights for Terrace and an extra for Smithers. I haven’t flown much but both return trips were prettuy much full for Rupert and 3 were midweek flights.

[quote=“PLA”]Air Canada Jazz has an actual base in YPR?

lol[/quote]

Really, do they? I thought the planes overnighted in Vancouver? What constitutes a “base” ?

Westjet will only move into a market where they can guarantee a 737 almost full every flight. That’s not really the case in Prince Rupert, but they could make a go of it in Terrace. They’d also attract passengers from Prince Rupert & Smithers. I know I’ve driven all the way to Prince George for a Westjet vacation deal.

donr quote me but,i think a base is where an airline has staff…

I completely agree that this is the start to a 737 service out of terrace…

well see how this unfolds…I do know for sure that the YPR will be shutting down for an extended 10-14days for runway reseurfacing this summer.

A base would be something similar like HeliJet’s Seal Cove Hangar. Would normally consists of a base manager, a few AMEs, and whatever maintenance equipments they have.

You guys are fully aware that WestJet is launching their own regional airline called WestJet Encore, eh? WestJet Encore is all Bombardier Q400 (Glorified version of Dash 8-400)

West Jet has purchased I think they are called Q 400 for servicing smaller communities.

Ah, ok, so the Q-400 that’s a 75-80 passenger Dash 8. The “Q” is an ironic name, as it stands for “quiet” :smile: