Xbox 360 media player question

Here’s my situation: I have a shared folder on my server (Samba, NFS, FTP, etc) that has TV, movies, music, etc. I use this folder everywhere: on the computer connected to my projector, on my Apple TV connected to my TV, on my kid’s computer, on the Wii, my wife’s laptop, etc. So that any media is available on any device.

I want to add another TV, and was wondering about just buying an Xbox 360. Does the Xbox 360 support divx avi and h.264 mp4? Can I mount a shared drive and play files over wifi?

Right now I’m trying to decide between another Apple TV, an Xbox, or a cheap linux set-top box running XBMC.

[quote=“MiG”]Here’s my situation: I have a shared folder on my server (Samba, NFS, FTP, etc) that has TV, movies, music, etc. I use this folder everywhere: on the computer connected to my projector, on my Apple TV connected to my TV, on my kid’s computer, on the Wii, my wife’s laptop, etc. So that any media is available on any device.

I want to add another TV, and was wondering about just buying an Xbox 360. Does the Xbox 360 support divx avi and h.264 mp4? Can I mount a shared drive and play files over wifi?

Right now I’m trying to decide between another Apple TV, an Xbox, or a cheap linux set-top box running XBMC.[/quote]

I just setup 3 apple tv’s this week using the wd live player, it doesn’t do netflix but it streams avi and other formats that you listed VERY WELL and very fast. The play stop fast forward are very accurate and nice. The Seagate one is a pos, the menu looks cheesy its slow navigating around and the quality looks horrible.

WD is not wireless, but its the best solution, i have not tried the apple tv with shared hard drive.

I know my samsung LED tv will stream stuff from my 2tb wd nas unit perfectly. BUT you can’t fastforward or pause. Just play & stop.

This one here > is the more advanced one VERY VERY VERY NICE ! Worth all the pennies.

bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/wes … 231b56en02

This one >> bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/wes … 527d91en02

is the one i have setup a few of, they work great and have a remote :smile:

Jase, how do you mean you set up Apple tvs with a WD live player?

HI MiG, I use older Xbox’s infact I have 3 around the house with XBMC, xbmc.org/ the reson I went with them is the simple fact, they are so cheap and easy to softmod, so The kids can play N64,Snes, nes, mame, genisis plus stream music or movies. You can do everything and play everything including h.264 mp4 I cant Play HiDef, no biggy. My setup is similar except my files are located on my Boxee Box External Harddrive and it streams to all bedrooms wirelesly just fine.

the XBMC can even be installed on the Apple TV, great software…

support.microsoft.com/kb/945416

That said, I’ve encountered a some things that my 360 won’t play, but probably about 90% of what I download will work on it.

I noticed MiG that you are fimilar with XBMC, Have you tried Naxi-X with it? website.navi-x.org/ I have it installed on my XBOX’s and Boxee box, great software, for movies, TV Shows, and also HD content. Boxee Box is great hardware and shorlty will have Netflix (canada) On it. I think with most box Players that support netflix do not support netflix canada and are usless in canada.

I setup both, some of my customers use netflix, this is where the apple tv is perfect for.

The WesternDigital devices are both great for streaming and watching downloaded content. They are small too, nothing huge and power hungry like a xbox. They both come with simple to use remotes, not like fumbling around with a controller

my xbox’s uses remotes, I agree with them being power hungry and that why I have a boxee box in the living room, but also the xbox’s dont stay on 24/7 they are only playing movies or games a few hours a day, Unlike my mame cabnet that is on 24/7 I run my home automation and security off it.
Jason do the WesternDigital devices do canadain Netflix? I was looking at those before i got the Boxee Box.

I have XBMC running on all the computers, and on the AppleTV already.

I think I’m just going to get another AppleTV.

[quote=“Astro”]my xbox’s uses remotes, I agree with them being power hungry and that why I have a boxee box in the living room, but also the xbox’s dont stay on 24/7 they are only playing movies or games a few hours a day, Unlike my mame cabnet that is on 24/7 I run my home automation and security off it.
Jason do the WesternDigital devices do canadain Netflix? I was looking at those before i got the Boxee Box.[/quote]

Nope not yet, thats why i took mine back, it said right on the box WORKS WITH netflix, little do you relize when you get home, it only works in the states.

Aparently netflix is working on this because alot of the new tv’s coming out after ces is over, they all have the ability to use the netflix app & google app for tv watching.

i give it a few years and cable companies will be selling tv’s with their own program built into the tv etc etc or other ideas.

I will be buying a apple tv soon, because that is 100% to work with netflix. I just bought a nice new Samsun LED tv Love it, wireless streaming from my whs server & netflix from the wii looks killer, it’s weird tho, netflix on a composite connection actually looks decent.

j’

We have apple tv and it works great. The plan is that we mainly use iTunes and buy blurays from now on. But we also have a large media collection in formats that apple tv and iTunes won’t recognize, like hi def stuff, mkvs etc. The husband wants to consolidate everything so that it plays just on iTunes.
I’ve looked at macrumors forums and there doesn’t seem to be an easy solution. :frowning:

Anyone have a magic wand?

for 89$ you can buy the wd tv and it will play everything :smile: i loved mine, but i wanted netflix too, but if i had a choice i would go buy another one, it really was the cats ass, small fast accurate.

Question, do you have Ethernet beside your tv tho ? Or can you run a cable to it from where it all originates from ?

Every phone jack except one has been converted to Ethernet. So yes. :smile:

Perfect, and i would assume your tv has a free hdmi port ? :smile:

You are set to purchase a wd tv :smile: to bad futureshop doesn’t sell them, but costco and Bestbuy do, or if you have ebay account some are cheaper on line!

J’

Oh yeah. I know the WD is an option. We’ll have to see what happens.
Why is it too bad about futureshop not having them?

[quote=“Lemrac”]Oh yeah. I know the WD is an option. We’ll have to see what happens.
Why is it too bad about futureshop not having them?[/quote]

because they don’t have them, they only carry the seagate ones witch are SHIT!