Windows You Useless Pile Of Shit

So I’m flashing a router, reading the man on another computer and what do I see?
“Windows has finished updating and will reboot” just as it shuts down in the middle of uploading the firmware. 10 minutes of waiting and then answer a bunch of stupid questions, clicking notices… no more router.
And another goddam popup “New Windows Updates are available” “Connected to Wireless” “Scan and fix USB stick?” “Java update available” “Avast has finished updating” try to get back to the NIC woo-woo-woo spinning circle of ineptitude.
Bill Gates you’re already banned from my home. Serving eviction notice on the shop computers.

OR you could just tell your computer to not automatically install updated, but to notify you of them first :smile: lol

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]
Bill Gates you’re already banned from my home. Serving eviction notice on the shop computers.[/quote]

I’m down to one Winders partition on one of my boxes at home. You going to run Linux at the shop?

Speaking of Windows, here’s a screenshot of Windows Thin PC running on a really old thinkpad, driving an external display. Windows Thin PC is the Windows 7 version of Windows for Legacy PCs (WINFLP) that I thought was the best version of Windows, until I started running this…

And like WinFLP, they’re not letting the general public have this, are they?

Funniest thread title ever. Sorry herbie but I had to laugh just thinking about you talking to an operating system!

The only thing worse than windows popping shit up in your face all the time is popping them up BEHIND the windows you’re using. A nasty habit of Windows7.
Wanna copy a Mac, Billy? Then LOSE the pop-ups balloons like they did with OSX. When I’m all FINISHED, it’s okay to ask if I want to install updates!

My biggest gripe with Ubuntu were those nasty half-the-desktop filling update windows.

A little over a week ago I helped my Dad set-up his shiny new HP laptop running Windows 7.

“Uh Dad…you know those funny video clips and attachments that your friend sends you? Don’t click on them!”

Job security for the helpful technician in Delta. :smile:

I’ve got a free version of Windoze, first thing you do is turn auto-updates off.

After I … hide… certain updates… you install only the security updates.

Even on my genuine machines I turn auto-updates off.

One of the biggest points my ICT 108 instructor was trying to tell us was that Updates, to any program (not just microsuck’s…)
can make or break the system.

Guess I have my real life situation I can tell him about, sorry to hear about your router man

Windows 7 version of WFLP? Awesome.

My windows story… I go to activate an xp pro license we had for a temporary server because we had it and why buy a license for something that will be replaced in 2 years… turns out the key is apparently not valid anymore the key update tool fails. I spent 15 minutes trying to make it work and said fuckit torrented a vlk cd and will no longer pay for windows. The workstations will be moving to linux when they get replaced except for the two simply accounting workstations. Fuck microsoft. I tried to be legit but they made it way harder than it was worth.

Turn off updates. Yeah, keep the massive security holes just in case (insert sane reason).
Windows7 Lite for Netbooks - fucking useless
Windows7 Basic - mostly useless
Windows7 Home Premium - moderately annoying
Window7 Pro - minor annoyances
Windows7 Ultimate - reserved for paranoids with more money than brains
Windows7 32 bit any release - oh come one, really? Let’s put the lawnmower carb on my Hemi…

The kids in the office are now fighting to NOT take the HP Netbook on field calls. They prefer the old 9" AspireOne with Ubuntu.

I know this isn’t a windows comment, but I thought it was cute, and didn’t want to create a new thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m also running an AspireOne, it is running well with Slackware.

OMG they try their hardest to copy Mac and fuck it up every time!
From XP’s incessant window popping to Win7.
I ask it to update, so it does. I come back two hours later and it’s stalled. Why? The window to install IE9, which you already fucking knew was in the list of updates you clicked on and approved, is BEHIND the main update window.
Isn’t that the way Mac a does it?
NO! Not when you CHOSE to update. When they’re available. So it doesn’t pop up an update screen in front of the goddam movie you’re watching.
YOU DROOLING OVERPAID MORONS

How to connect to wifi at McDonald’s:

Says it all…

There’s a rash of phone calls in Fort St. James where they say that they’re from Microsoft, (your computer’s compromised)(your modem is hacked) and they insist you give them $189 on Visa and install remote desktop.
One person they emptied 2 bank accounts, maxed out 3 credit cards and their stock trading account got suspended. Computer also contained the books of 2 dozen businesses here.
Another lady “did some things they said” but “couldn’t remember” if she installed or turned anything on. She won’t bring her computer in because they installed a “good” anti-virus for her.
Heard of two or three more, one of which had the brains to tell them to F off. But didn’t get their number off call display. Called the RCMP and the receptionist was so disinterested she refused to pass the call to anyone, quoted Phonebusters number and hung up.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Says it all…

There’s a rash of phone calls in Fort St. James where they say that they’re from Microsoft, (your computer’s compromised)(your modem is hacked) and they insist you give them $189 on Visa and install remote desktop.
One person they emptied 2 bank accounts, maxed out 3 credit cards and their stock trading account got suspended. Computer also contained the books of 2 dozen businesses here.
Another lady “did some things they said” but “couldn’t remember” if she installed or turned anything on. She won’t bring her computer in because they installed a “good” anti-virus for her.
Heard of two or three more, one of which had the brains to tell them to F off. But didn’t get their number off call display. Called the RCMP and the receptionist was so disinterested she refused to pass the call to anyone, quoted Phonebusters number and hung up.[/quote]

You should setup a sand box system for some one, so when you get the same call, you can let them in and track everything they do etc etc :smile: then do back to them…

Iv’e heard about a few of these calls, had a customer call me and ask if her mac needed av software, because she just got a call saying it had tons of viruses and the tech on the other line was wondering if she wanted a really good av, and they could install for her.

Interesting opinion piece. Is Microsoft, the juggernaut, declining?

Microsoft-Watchers See A Company In Decline

I just finished backing up the most useless computer we own, a NEW HP netbook. Win7 LAME edition, a screen so damn dull it’s hard to see indoors and so flimsily built I’d feel more comfortable using an iPad in the mud outdoors.
Tomorrow it will be Ubuntu.
Meanwhile, I;m wondering where HP hid the MS sticker. Just in case it’s needed if I reinstall and flog the thing.

Mango?! Who names a smart phone OS, Mango? M$. :smile:

First Windows ‘Mango’ Phone Unveiled