Who's the dummy now?

I saw this on the CBC website. It’s a good argument for an evolution in how we think about students and University.

cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story … 4:r5:c0:b0

Amen.

Most students don’t go to university, but it seems that our entire system assumes every student will go to university, or should go to university.

But yeah, blame the system, but also blame parents and society in general who think that the trades are somehow “less” than a university degree.  That’s just crap, and in most cases, the trades are more valuable.

I am guilty.  I have been hard lining my kids heads already that they gotta go to university.  WHY?  Because I didnt do it.  I never went to a univeristy.  I wish I did, so I try and make my kids wanna go, he he.  Maybe try and live vicarioulsy through them? I dont know.
But I should ease up…I generally make more $ than the university degreed person.

One of my big gripes is that University is often geared towards taking your money rather than leading students to a career. English class, my biggest gripe, tends to be the wasteland of semantic argument. But they don’t put that on the brochure.

Perhaps no one will read a autobiography of a carpenter but who wants to read another failed attempt at fiction.

The reason we have an over educated underemployed workforce is you need more grunts than generals. Over saturation of the table-clump workforce has been somewhat detrimental to our society.

And I think it is time we regard trades as a remarkably important role in society. Employers do. I think it is time mom and dad follow suit.

Oh come on, I’m sure you’ve had the after dinner discussion with friends about James Joyce!

• You actually read it? Without puking?
    Nah, Coles notes.
    Me, I copied my older brother’s notes. Probably copied a friend too,…
    the Dubliners… pleaaaggghhhh!!!

Well, part of the problem is that university isn’t supposed to be about a career, though that’s how it’s often pitched.  It’s supposed to be about an education. 

You don’t take English classes to learn to do a job (unless the job you want is to do English stuff).  You take those English classes to get an education and some fancy schmancy book learnin’.

I think university or post-secondary education can benefit anyone - however, I think for many students the issue is more about timing not ability.  Eighteen-year-old’s are often not mature enough to take university seriously.  But after a few years in the “real world” they might have a better sense of direction.    The trades require plenty of book learning too - especially if one wants to stay current.  The move to the use of greener building supplies and materials, or the move to zero energy houses are examples.  I think the key to any profession is to continue to learn - stay current always.