Who turned off the interweb?

Could someone please turn the Internet back on? It’s the switch on the right.

A traceroute shows that the last successful hop is still in town here. I’m not sure if that’s a Telus node, or if it’s a Citytel one that happens to have Telus’ name in it.

[quote]C:>tracert www.nhl.com

Tracing route to www.nhl.com [65.203.232.11]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <10 ms <10 ms 10 ms 192.168.123.254
2 <10 ms 10 ms 10 ms host105.adsl11.rupert.net [208.181.161.105]
3 <10 ms 10 ms 10 ms 5conn28.rupert.net [64.114.56.28]
4 <10 ms 10 ms 10 ms Telus-gw-PR.rupert.net [209.53.130.14]
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 ^C[/quote]

Sheesh, get up people! It’s almost 8:00!

Fresh from the rumour mill: Seven telephone poles may or may not be down in the Vanderhoof area.

It’s still off…

Dammit… it just had to die right when I finally found a copy of “Rounders” to download.

Grrrr, internet… come backkkk

fuckin un-reliable internet provider!

where is it? :frowning:

I found the Internet and put it back where it was supposed to be.

I’m sure an analogy can be made between the internet and learning to read. For example, kids who learn to read early and continue to read may develop a wide bandwidth enjoyment towards books. In any case, it’s a tragedy when the internet goes down or when kids can’t read.

bravo.

YAY internet.

It’s funny because the first big cruise ship is here today, and apparently most major credit cards don’t work.

someone took out 800m of fiber near Isle Pierre Bednesti area. I bet the repair crews were all out west and Telus couldn’t get hold of them in a timely fashion…
Let’s put all our eggs in one basket, one fibre from PG to PR on the side of a busy logger’s highway, up on poles. Everywhere in the real world it’s buried, but WE KNOW SO MUCH BETTER. Run out and buy stock today.

trees don’t fall. cars don’t crash. El Quaeda could actually cripple this country with a $1 box cutter knife…

^ ^
someone get this man an award for introducing another spelling of Elle Kay-eeduh into the lexicon.

I think the computer has helped my child learn to read. She has been bathed in the phosphor glow of a computer monitor since she was two months old.

It has acutally been quite an experience to watch her learn to use the computer. I found that her hand/eye coordination had gotten good enough just after she turned 2 to be able to close all the open windows on the desktop.

She figured out by watching me I guess that the little X at the corner of each window would make them disappear when she clicked on it. She took great enjoyment out of that.

She picked up pre-school type games pretty quick after that. She knew how to recognize and read simple things by the time she started kindegarten.

She is like a human sponge when it comes to absorbing computer info. I can show her something once and she grasps it right away.

I now come home to find Kim Possible, Lizzie McGuire, Scooby Doo or a myriad of other screen savers on the machine. She is completely and utterly at home on a computer, no fear of it and she knows it better than her mom does. Oh yea, my daughter is 7. Now that she can read she whips through websites pretty fast. She has her own favorites folder too.

She is in the highest reading group in her gr.1 class and is a voracious reader. I can go up to her room at 10pm and find her reading a book instead of sleeping. She really loves to read as I think she has found its opened a whole new facet of the world to her.

It helps I think that I read a lot too and I read to her as much as I can, though now she wants to read to me!

That’s wonderful news VMS, I hope my son takes an early interest in computers too. (I’m pretty sure he will.)

dont thank me. thank stupid terrorists who cant find a decent acronym.
that’s macleans spelling… i think…

Strange thing about the internet being down - my CityTel email was not affected (or is that effected?) and I was able to send email all day without incident.

Yeah, citytel was probably accepting your mail (and if it was to other Citytel customers, it was delivering it), otherwise, it was just queuing up, and was delivered when everything was connected again.

If everything didn’t switch thru Vancouver things could’ve kept going from Rupert to Hooterville. Having everything dependent on a single cable along Hwy16 is not very smart. In case anyone wondered, BC Tel hung it from poles because of the bad experience the old competitor had in the early 90s burying it under the railway tracks. It kept cracking the fiber and was really hard to locate and repair.
I was in Oregon in the late 80s and they had a convoy trenching and laying multiple cables beneath the I-5. They also spun off the old microwave stuff to small carriers, some of which still use it. Redundancy is a good thing…