Who Is Testing for Radiation on the North Coast?

I haven’t heard anymore on the testing for radiation on the North Coast. Does anyone have more information on the radiation testing? I find it mildy humerous that our government says there is no need to worry but doesn’t make the details of how they are backing up that claim and the testing public.

I heard the Haida Gwaii Village Council is testing and they say there is no government testing happening. They see elevated levels of radiation supposedly. Which makes the “Who is Testing” question for us and our area a very valid question and concern in my books.

I’ve heard the lighthouse keepers have been warned not to drink the rainwater they previously collected for that purpose. Don’t know if it will be tested.

RADIATION LEVELS are slightly elevated,but hardly detectable…
i have been monitoring the levels west of fukushima…and about 150km west levels were approx 2.2 micro sieverts/hr…at the epicentre the levels were as high as 12 micro sieverts/hr
a flight from vancouver to toronto you are exposed to about 4.5 micro sieverts…
gamma radiation will disperse…

there is alot of fear mongering goin on…

I was initially quite concerned about the reactors in Japan going critical, but, they have not done so yet. We are not in a Chernobyl situation here. There may very well be health risks for the Japanese. I do not think there is a health risk for us.

reactors were plugged yesterday…well the radiation contaminated water leak was plugged.

its really one of those situations to have litttle or no fear about in North America…hadai gwai is fear mongering and sounds like a politcal game there…

Hate to disagree, but should the government not have someone testing on regular basis though? How is it we are to know unless we test for it?

Information was very sketchy from the Japanese government to start with the disaster because they were being fed inaccurate, late information from the very company with the runaway reactors.

Fear mongering? Hmmpf. Maybe. For the sake of our children, pregnant women etc. I would think the government would err on the side of caution. Apparently not.

I had six x-rays a couple of weeks ago and therefore have had more radiation that you are getting from Japan.

My Dad says that background radiation from all the coal at Ridley is higher than anything from Japan.

Here’s a little test for you:

Place a bag of popcorn on your counter.

If it starts popping, you’re frakked!

YES FEAR MONGERING…you obviously have little or no knowledge of radiation…

junior is probably right about the coal at ridley…

i will go test it…

[quote=“mcsash”]YES FEAR MONGERING…you obviously have little or no knowledge of radiation…

junior is probably right about the coal at ridley…

i will go test it…[/quote]

A Canadian high school student named Bronwyn Delacruz never imagined that her school science project would make headlines all over the world. But that is precisely what has happened. Using a $600 Geiger counter purchased by her father, Delacruz measured seafood bought at local grocery stores for radioactive contamination. What she discovered was absolutely stunning. Much of the seafood, particularly the products that were made in China, tested very high for radiation. So is this being caused by nuclear radiation from Fukushima? Is the seafood that we are eating going to give us cancer and other diseases? The American people deserve the truth, but as you will see below, the U.S. and Canadian governments are not even testing imported seafood for radiation. To say that this is deeply troubling would be a massive understatement.

In fact, what prompted Bronwyn Delacruz to conduct her science project was the fact that the Canadian government stopped testing imported seafood for radiation in 2012…

more here
thetruthwins.com/archives/school … re-seafood

xkcd.com/radiation/ may be helpful to understand scales here. A mammogram has five times the dose of radiation that the Fukushima town hall received, in total, for two weeks after the incident, for instance.

Basically, if I only have a penny to my name, and find a dime, I have ten times the wealth, but I’m not going to worry about what I’m going to do with all the money.

So, a round trip flight from Rupert to Cancun is about 100 µSv. If you were planning to fly anywhere on vacation this year, you should give me those tickets to save yourself a massive radiation hit. I’m willing to take the risks of a Caribbean vacation for you, that’s just the kind of guy I am.

Literally everything in the universe is chemicals–and in chemistry concentration matters.

As Mig linked to in the last thread about Fukushima radiation, if you started drinking sea water off out coast right now, you would die of radiation poisoning from the radioactive agents that are natural in the ocean long before you died from the specific Fukushima radiation.

The jury is in, and we’re not at risk. If anyone has any new, concrete information backed up by real science, let’s hear it…

I think that radiation contamination is non-issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bhoWfC1L9k

No-drink order in Old Massett, following radiation increase
Old Massett has issued a no-drink order for rainwater after levels of iodine 131, an indicator of radioactivity, were found to be rising. But a provincial health official says there is no cause for concern, and that amounts found in Old Massett are miniscule, far less than one millionth of the amount shown to cause thyroid disease. Acting band manager John Disney wasn’t satisfied with the monitoring underway since the problems began at the nuclear plant in Fukushima, Japan, so he set up a regime – two tests a week of rainwater, stream water and groundwater. Seeing levels of iodine 131 in rainwater rise steeply (from unmeasurable to 1.1 becquerels per litre) between March 24 and April 1, he has since ramped up the testing to once a day. Mr. Disney said the level determined as dangerous is 6, but because the tests are a few days behind, he is worried about continuing increases at that rate.

So far streamwater and groundwater are testing fine, but he his keeping his eye on all levels. But according to BC Centre for Disease Control’s Ritinder Harry, the amounts found in the Old Massett data (1.1 bq/l) are miniscule and are much lower even that amounts found by Simon Fraser researchers, which was less than one millionth the amount that has been shown to cause disease in the thyroid. “Both studies have found minute traces, reinforcing that there are no health concerns for people who drink rainwater or eat seaweed in BC,” she said. The BCCDC also had this information on their website “For example to reach a concerning level in the thyroid, a person would have to drink 815,143 litres of water at one time. This radioactive iodine will continue to decay but we would expect that trace amounts may be found until several weeks after the nuclear reactor incident has resolved.” But Mr. Disney is not satisfied. As of April 5, the most recent results he’d received were from April 1.

westcoastnativenews.com/no-drink … -increase/

I believe there will be trace amounts of radiation from Fukushima. But considering the amount of time that has passed since the incident at Fukushima, we will never be majorly effected by radiation on our coast. All of BC was effected by radiation after what happened less than 3 months after Chernobyl than we have been 3 years after Fukushima. But we were never informed about the radiation from Chernobyl.

[quote=“Astro”]No-drink order in Old Massett, following radiation increase
Old Massett has issued a no-drink order for rainwater after levels of iodine 131, an indicator of radioactivity, were found to be rising. But a provincial health official says there is no cause for concern, and that amounts found in Old Massett are miniscule, far less than one millionth of the amount shown to cause thyroid disease. Acting band manager John Disney wasn’t satisfied with the monitoring underway since the problems began at the nuclear plant in Fukushima, Japan, so he set up a regime – two tests a week of rainwater, stream water and groundwater. Seeing levels of iodine 131 in rainwater rise steeply (from unmeasurable to 1.1 becquerels per litre) between March 24 and April 1, he has since ramped up the testing to once a day. Mr. Disney said the level determined as dangerous is 6, but because the tests are a few days behind, he is worried about continuing increases at that rate.

So far streamwater and groundwater are testing fine, but he his keeping his eye on all levels. But according to BC Centre for Disease Control’s Ritinder Harry, the amounts found in the Old Massett data (1.1 bq/l) are miniscule and are much lower even that amounts found by Simon Fraser researchers, which was less than one millionth the amount that has been shown to cause disease in the thyroid. “Both studies have found minute traces, reinforcing that there are no health concerns for people who drink rainwater or eat seaweed in BC,” she said. The BCCDC also had this information on their website “For example to reach a concerning level in the thyroid, a person would have to drink 815,143 litres of water at one time. This radioactive iodine will continue to decay but we would expect that trace amounts may be found until several weeks after the nuclear reactor incident has resolved.” But Mr. Disney is not satisfied. As of April 5, the most recent results he’d received were from April 1.

westcoastnativenews.com/no-drink … -increase/[/quote]

Crazy person not satisfied that internationally accepted safe levels of radiation are safe. News at 11. We’re all going to die. Again.

[quote=“jesus”]
Crazy person not satisfied that internationally accepted safe levels of radiation are safe. News at 11. We’re all going to die. Again.[/quote]

Where did I put my suit?