Where is this? #24

Yup… It is better that others.

I’m not sure if there is an island there, but from your word hint earlier…is it Marathon?

Nope, good guess though, good interpretation of the clue! 11 Left.

Is this considered a tourist attraction at all now-a-days?

The area around it yes, the island itself, no. 10 left.

Is it within the boundaries of a national park?

To the best of my knowledge no, I looked around and found nothing mentioning a national park… 9 Left…

Anyone else gunna try?

is the shoreline of the mainland easily visible from the island? or vice versa?

is it montreal island?

Mainland from the island. Yes.
Island From Mainland. Yes, it’s small though.

Nope. 7 left…

Not that it’s wrong, but it seems that the rule about not asking direct geographical question hasn’t really been in effect in this quest.

Okay, I’m not super familiar with the rules but I didn’t see how that was real direct. I’ll keep it in mind.

Well the rule was basically to avoid having questions like “Is it in Canada?” and " Is it in the northern hemisphere?" because the first pictures were aerial shots, mostly from Terraserver. I think that rule is a bit harsh when it comes to the last few pictures. It’s your game so you decide, but I was just pointing it out because you mentionned the rules early in the thread yet, it wasn’t really followed.

Sometimes there’s only so many questions you can ask that don’t relate to geography, or “whether you can see the island from the mainland” sort of things.

It doesn’t seem like anyone but stanley is really trying with this one anyhow.

Yeah… unfortunate cause this is a good one!

I sat here trying to figure it out for an hour last night, but no amout of g00gling got me any closer to the answer.

Ok,

Lake superior,
Small Island near mainland
Old settlement ( could be some kind of industry)
But seems empty of building now.

Is the settlement a mining operation?

I found it!

This is Silver Islet Mine near Thunderbay

http://www.canadianheritage.org/reproductions/20480.htm

http://my.tbaytel.net/jmurq/sislet2.htm

gg :astonished:

Damn you Thumb!!! I spent hours and hours on this damn thing. Good thinking with the mining link. I alas, would never have equated water with mining. :wink:

You know the ironic thing. After his first hint “second place” I did a search for Silver Island and found nothing. Goes to show that Google doesn’t have it all. :smile:

s.,