Where is this? #18

Is English the primary language of the country in which the railway station is located?

Is English the primary language of the country in which the railway station is located?

No.

9 left.

Is the railway station in part B in a town where a wall was erected and then later taken down in another historical event?

I don’t think so, no. It’s not Berlin if that’s what you mean. Though there’s been a lot of change in this city (site B) over the years.

8 left.

PS – why can I never answer with yes/no ?

PPS – I thought you guys would have it by now, but I’ve overestimated the Pet Shop Boys and Grandmaster Flash’s influence on today’s popular culture.

Because you’re a perfectionist!

I’m THINKING that the railway station may be the final destination of the railway car that was used to sign the 1918 armistice of WW1 in and used again in 1940. But I have no idea how to find out it’s final destination. I could be on the completely wrong track though.

That would be Versailles. I’m sure you could think of a question that would confirm or rule out France as site B.

Also, extra points for using “wrong track” when talking about a railway station.

It’s like a jungle out there. And sometimes I wonder how I keep from going under.

Is the railway station in the same hemisphere as Canada?

DGQ! DGQ! You gotta bust out the opposite seasons question, man.

At the time of the event in question, did the leaders of the country in which this city is located reside in the city itself?

And if yes, do they still reside there in present day?

Sorry, dont mean to be a question whore, but I figure that should narrow it down pretty well.

Can’t answer that, unfortunately. Dunno if you mean north/south or east/west, and we always said that direct geography questions aren’t allowed.

Yes. It was the capital city anyway, so I assume they would be there.

7 left.

No.

6 left.

That’s how it’s done.

Let’s go over what we’ve got:

• Historically significat journey from A to B.
  • Big event at B.
  • Journey not by watercraft.
  • Both sites are not in the same country.
  • Journey took place within last 100 years.
  • A war started at the completion of this journey.
  • B is in a nation that was once part of a larger nation.
  • B is not Sarajevo.
  • B is a railway station.
  • B is not Rethondes, near Compiègne.
  • Event did not take place in the 2nd half of the 20th century. Combined - with the 100 years answer, that places it somewhere between 1905 and 1950.
  • English is not the primary language at B.
  • B is not Berlin.
  • B was a capital city, but isn’t any longer (or at least, it’s leaders do not reside there).

I think we need to try the Grandmaster Flash/Pet Shop Boys angle.

Whos a history nut that can recall all of changed capitals of Europe. Assuming its Europe based on the lisence plates of the parked cars, hard to see them clearly tho, cant be sure.

Ahh, now I see why the “former member of a larger nation” question was interesting.

I always knew you were a communist, MiG.

Finland Station, St. Petersburg. Where Lenin arrived to start the October Revolution.

I took my own advice and looked up the Pet Shop Boys lyrics.

Someone else can go in my stead, I’m headed to my parents’ place for dinner, and then I’ve got floor hockey tonight, so I wouldn’t be able to answer any questions until late tonight or tomorrow afternoon. I’ll post one in a day or two.

I’ve got a few minutes right now, so I’ll see if I can pick a place, send it to MiG, and get him to answer questions in my stead.

Dammit! I totally disregarded St. Petersburg, Ive been brainwashed into thinking that Russia and USSR are the same nation, stupid out of date school atlases.

Yeah, I thought people would get it much quicker. Ah well.

Lenin was living in Geneva at the time, and the Germans were nice enough to send him, via sealed train, from “Lake Geneva to the Finland Station.” There he delivered the address that is regarded by many as starting the October revolution and everything that happened after it.

The Pet Shop Boys mention it in West End Girls, a song inspired by Grandmaster Flash’s “The Message.”