When is Rupert Home

I was just being a smartass know-it-all.  :smiley:

I’ve lived here all my life, and I don’t think I could ever really leave permanently. I’m going to have to leave to read the level of education I want, but I don’t think I’ll ever be able to stay away. This is my home, when I’m away for any stretch of time just getting back here just feels like where I belong.

I’m in Vancouver for school but Rupert will always be my home. My headquarters.

There are some things you can’t do in Vancouver that you can do in Rupert. :smile:

I lived in Rupert for about 16 years, then came to Terrace.
But I still call it home although I hate that place with a passion…

But I dunno, it’s how YOU feel about the place (even though I hate it) not how other people feel about it. Haha, I dunno… It’s hard to explain. Trust your own instincts.

I describe myself as Made-in-Prince Rupert. Prince Rupert is my primary home, although I plan to live and work elsewhere for the majority of my life.

Also Prince Rupert as a community seriously need to wake up and get some makeover. I’d rather not retire there, or at least make a living there if the current trend of mediocrity continues. Prince Rupert today is disastrously depressing in comparison to 2 years ago when I spent the whole summer there.

Lastly, I still despise Terrace and everything they stand for… with a passion.

[quote="[Green.T.Milk.T]"]
I’m in Vancouver for school but Rupert will always be my home. My headquarters.

There are some things you can’t do in Vancouver that you can do in Rupert. :smile:
[/quote]

Like what ?  :neutral_face:

I’d asked myself the same question. Still trying to think of an answer.  :imp:

Rupert was home for twenty years. I think it was at the point where I got married and we started having kids that our families realised that our being there was not just being perverse- my husband’s folks didn’t understand it when he moved back after college for work- but that we actually loved being there.

Then things changed and we left. Eventually we ended up back on the coast, this time on the Island. If we were travelling and someone asked me where we were from, I would most likely say, “The west coast” because those years of being in Rupert certainly instilled in us a love for the lifestyle out here.

buy a house for $100,000 thats fairly nice as in van the same house with 100 year old wiring is about 1.5 million top that

What does that have to do with calling Prince Rupert home?

I believe that You are from Rupert when you call it home, as you say you do, and when you love it here, as you say you do, regardless of anything anyone else has to say about it. I think that for those of us that were born here, that perhaps became the benchmark pre-requisite for being ‘from here’?

Only because of severe economic depression can you buy a house for that cheap. It’s a lousy comparison, simply because a lot of the amenities that you’d get most any place else where you are paying more for a home are getting to be in short supply up there…

you get a house for 1500 bucks in detriot.  seriously! 

I love rupert, I was born and raised here.  Right after high school I left, thinking rupert sucks- big cities are better (just like any teenager).  I lasted about 8 months, called my dad and had him come and get me.  I missed home.  We’ve been provided with opportunities to move to Vancouver on numerous occasions, but I much prefer the atmosphere here, the people are better, the scenery is better, and the commute is waaaaaay better  :smiley:  After almost 30 years I’m pretty sure I’m a lifer  :wink:

I feel the “nature” in Vancouver is artificial compared to Prince Rupert… just my opinion.

[quote="[Green.T.Milk.T]"]
I feel the “nature” in Vancouver is artificial compared to Prince Rupert… just my opinion.
[/quote]

Yeah, I’ll agree with you that Stanley Park is not exactly the same as most any walking trail in the Rupert region. Score one for Rupert. But the scenery can be just as spectacular, the seawall walk or Kits beach are pretty amazing, etc,etc.

I was born and raised in Rupert, left when the smoke stopped and the smell left. I spent 12 years in another province and moved back recently, here is why I think Rupert is home.
-Takes 2 min. to get to work
-I can come home for lunch
-Obviously not of late,but you know your kids are safe on the playground and at school.
-Drive 5 min. to camp in a beautiful park.
-Fish,hunt,dive,boat.
-Get on the golf course in a moments notice.
-Get to a ski hill in an hour(fingers crossed).
-Drive and hour and a half east for a whole other climate,landscape,wildlife.
-Friends,Family,Community.

All of these are why I love Rupert,and thought about it when I was gone. Now we need to get the community on the same page and get this town turned around,it could be even sweeter.