What Is the Message Here?

So are you saying it is okay that people do not accept self responsibility and just lazy around? Are you saying that people with these so called diseases deserve a break? And that they should be getting extra money from us tax payers to inject needles in their arms and pass out in the street in their own urine? Depending on their background and history, it is legit?

Obviously people do not choose to live on the streets. But this epidemic is a cycle and stuff like this just doesn’t happen over night. Most of them have *plenty *of opportunities to seek help before they actually end up on the street and they choose not to.

You’re bending this out of context. Originally I mentioned that he was on the streets because his low cost housing shut down. Does supplying homeless people with houses constitute condoning drug abuse?

Does having an addiction mean you need to sleep out on the street? If you have an addiction you will always find access to drugs. Whether it be by selling your body or by stealing, you will find a way to supply your habit. Do we really need to deny them shelter and food?

By the time a hard drug problem becomes apparent it’s most likely too late. If you’re living from high to high you lose sight of reality. You don’t even realize it’s a problem until you’re on the street.

But not everyone is on the street because of a drug addiction. What about those who can’t afford to do anything else. A coal miner who lost his brother and best friend in a cave in who no longer can work in the mine, can’t deal with his losses emotionally, has a break down, and ends up losing everything except his clothes. What about him? Go hand out resumes and get a job you say. With what skills? What education. Go get educated, right? What about his family at home who depends on his income? Can they wait 1, 2, 4 years or more just so he can get a decent job?

There are so many things that you overlook when you start generalizing, just saying that people are on the street because of their own ignorance or stupidity or carelessness.

Very few people truly want to be on the street. But to them it seems like their only option. And if we keep up with this condescending attitude and keep on placing the blame on them then we’re not helping these people at all. We should all consider ourselves lucky that we have the luxury of a computure at our disposal to read this. Some people don’t have the luxury of a steady meal and it’s not always their fault. We need to start looking beyond what’s directly apparent.

But you don’t pay taxes, or at least not very much…

This thread is weird. Prudence sounds like the right wing person and Transcend… sounds like he has a social conscience. Shouldn’t it be the other way around :unamused: ?

[quote=“hoshq”]

But you don’t pay taxes, or at least not very much…[/quote]

Pardon me?!? Do you know me? Are you my financial advisor or something?? My commonlaw husband and I get taxed right up the yingyang. A prime example of this was last week he got 1300 in deductions!! OUCH

[quote=“TranscendingRationality”]

of them have *plenty *of opportunities to seek help before they actually end up on the street and they choose not to.

By the time a hard drug problem becomes apparent it’s most likely too late. If you’re living from high to high you lose sight of reality. You don’t even realize it’s a problem until you’re on the street.

But not everyone is on the street because of a drug addiction. What about those who can’t afford to do anything else. A coal miner who lost his brother and best friend in a cave in who no longer can work in the mine, can’t deal with his losses emotionally, has a break down, and ends up losing everything except his clothes. What about him? Go hand out resumes and get a job you say. With what skills? What education. Go get educated, right? What about his family at home who depends on his income? Can they wait 1, 2, 4 years or more just so he can get a decent job?

There are so many things that you overlook when you start generalizing, just saying that people are on the street because of their own ignorance or stupidity or carelessness.

Very few people truly want to be on the street. But to them it seems like their only option. And if we keep up with this condescending attitude and keep on placing the blame on them then we’re not helping these people at all. We should all consider ourselves lucky that we have the luxury of a computure at our disposal to read this. Some people don’t have the luxury of a steady meal and it’s not always their fault. We need to start looking beyond what’s directly apparent.[/quote]

I shouldn’t have generalized people into that one ‘lazy’ category. But many people on welfare have learned to take advantage of the system and can not change their lifestyle, due to being uneducated.
All I am saying is that it ISN’T that hard to get assistance from our government. I think Canadians have it made compared to the majority of this world and we should be the last ones with a complaint.

[quote=“TranscendingRationality”]You’re bending this out of context. Originally I mentioned that he was on the streets because his low cost housing shut down. Does supplying homeless people with houses constitute condoning drug abuse?

Does having an addiction mean you need to sleep out on the street? If you have an addiction you will always find access to drugs. Whether it be by selling your body or by stealing, you will find a way to supply your habit. Do we really need to deny them shelter and food?[/quote]

The only people being denied shelter and food are the ones who can not hand resumes out. There are plenty of government funded programs that offer these skills to people in every community around BC. There really is no excuse.

Man, there are so many things that your arguments fail to take into account.

Not everything is black and white.

http://hackingthemainframe.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?pos=-11910

He’s obviously pretty stupid.

I mean, c’mon, he bought a Ford!

That’s only because VW doesn’t make any trucks at the moment.

Speaking of which, what the hell is this:

http://toadstool.se/photos/2003/.1024x768/map/05/25-Hendersonville,NC-Full_Moon_in_Joon_Bus_Campout/14-Rubberneckers_checking_out_the_VW_Ford.JPG

And this:
(It’s a Honda, so it’s going to be quality, but damn ugly!)
http://pages.charleshays.net/~connor/hondatruck.JPG

[quote=“Eso”]Man, there are so many things that your arguments fail to take into account.

Not everything is black and white.[/quote]

It would help if the argument was headed in one direction, we all seem to be supposively arguing about different aspects, other than the original intent.

wtf is supposively?

In my own language it is similar to the word apparent. Meaning that is appears as such but not necessarily so.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you almighty one.

So it’s kinda like supposedly then?

Dude, I see two of you.

quite honestly I think stygian navigator was the only chick to post here with any brains.