What happened to Eric Mercer?

The departure of Mercer shouldn’t come as much of a surprise.  He is just one of four superintendent’s who ‘suddenly left’ this position in the past five years.

Don’t forget to add during this time a Secretary-Treasurer and a Director of Instruction as well.

Could there possibly be something wrong?  Perhaps.

Mercer was not well liked in the district, or the community, for that matter. The whole alternate school debacle was the “last straw,” in a sense. He moved it from Friendship House without consulting them, then didn’t bother talking to the businesses in Cow Bay (a common courtesy) about planning to move in there. From what I understand, it was common practice for him to make significant decisions without informing the board.

Geez Max I’d sure like to know where you get your info. From my understanding he couldn’t do anything without board approval.
We can hold our officials accountable any time we want … it’s just that old Canadian apathy that prevents us. Look at what is going on at the G-20 summit, hats off to those people.
I think Mr Mercer was a bit like them (G-20 protesters). But apathy and popular vote will hold all them back, that’ll be a one off on FOX.
Do you drive a white Bronco MIG?
Hey by the way MIG, howcome you’re not in the thick of this? There must be some inside goop you could allude to? Please…

I’m not sure whether popularity is the best measuring stick to use in this case.  Best to leave that to American Idol.

As for any last straw decision made, it still looks like that stakeholder group that was formed by the Board provided all these recommendations.

Still just curious about the number of district people shoved out the exit and wondering how it can be all their fault.

I’m agreeing with you, arambler.
Shoved out or left because of…?
I think it’s pretty hard to do a job when answering to flip flopping fish.

I think in the grand scheme of things Mr. Mercer just didn’t like his Coca-Cola with real sugar. He prefers the High-fructose corn syrup style. He couldn’t remain in a place that only served Coke with sugar.

Totally fine by me though. My hats off to him!

Sir Ryan of Last I don’t think Mr Mercer drank Coca Cola I think it was more of a mans’ drink and probably straight up.
I also believe Sir Ryan of Last, if you threw your gauntlet down and challenged those that did this deed, all you’d get is a blind man with one arm, deaf in one ear and unable to hear out the other…or a Knight from Ni with a shrubbery(they were deaf also I believe)!
In the grand scheme Sir Ryan…those that could, did, for reasons they didn’t reveal because…and this is where I smell fertilizer.

Great news! It turns out that Mercer was actually trapped under his recycling in his garage but managed to free himself using a vacuum cleaner!

You’re good for a laugh for some people Max Power, my guess is, just for yourself tho.
If you try phoning this number 310-1234 they might be able to help.

I like my gauntlet. It has spikes, and the letters P A I N written into the corresponding finger spots. Very cool indeed.
The Knight who says Ni is a very formidable foe. I’d be careful before tossing him name around so carelessly.

Kids these days… sheesh.

Why don’t you just marry Mercer, Bird?

Sorry…taken Max Power.
Hey Ryan of Sir “Last” you’d better keep your gauntlet on, it’ll help from getting into a conflicting situation.

Heya Bird. 
You’re a bit of a newcomer to start slinging mud at Sir Ryan of Last.  I know Sir Ryan of Last.  I have no idea who you are.
We are all entitled to our point of view. :smile:

Exactly hitest we are entitled to our point of view. Even Mr Mercer is entitled to his point of view, except I believe he’s not allowed to talk about this.
That’s exactly why people shouldn’t presume hitest, because they don’t know. If they don’t know then they should at least be considerate enough of the other person(s)and not ass u me.
It’s too bad that Mr Mercer couldn’t put all this speculation to rest or that our politicians couldn’t be upfront with the taxpayers and give us the reason why they chose to cancel Mr Mercers’ contract.
Instead people are left to speculate and think of bs reasons why and get annoyed with each other. Come down on your politicians…not each other.
Oh and by the way, my family and I have stepped up and continue to volunteer in this community.

This is just the strangest thread ever.  No rumours!  Nothing!  Not even an “I heard… Did anybody else hear?” 

How about this?

Mr. Mercer comes to town.  I retire.  I go on the sub list.  He leaves. 

There has got to be something there. 

Seriously though, has anybody (the press or an individual) asked for a comment from the School Board?  Besides the press release has there been any follow up.  While I am certainly curious, I am actually impressed at how well this event has been kept out of the public eye - especially given Rupert’s rumour reputation.

I knew it!

Try not to take things continually to a personal level.  I’m sure Mercer might be used to having support and criticism but this is not what the question is about.  

A great many people have been put through this district in a relatively short period of time.  It would be logical to assume that the reason for this lies not with the dearly departed individuals but with something that has been here continually.

And what is this?

I’ll email/phone the SD and ask why we have hired a new superintendent.
What would be better if all those participating in this forum did the same.
What I can say that I do know is that Mr mercer was making people accountable for doing their jobs on behalf of students and because of that, participating groups took a big exception to the scrutiny. For a great many years in this SD people have not been accountable for their jobs. Things have slid.
That is my first hand knowledge of working within the school district for 15 years and counting.
Things are changing slowly, mainly because of concerned parents, not our politicians.

I’m quite confident, gauntlet or not, that I can keep myself out of conflicting problems on my own. But thank you for your ever so considerate concerns.

I guess this is why I love forums. Someone can stir up so much trouble without ever revealing themselves. Their endless pools of knowledge, hidden behind a false identity. But then again, I guess that is why for the most part, people pay attention to those who are regulars on the forums, and toss or flame most of the newer opinions out the window. On the other hand I might be totally wrong, and in this day and age people pay more attention to random things posted by random people.

I mean, I’m not a doctor (though I do play one on TV) but I’d probably be in the ballpark by throwing out a “You must be Mercer yourself” type comment.

Gah! I’ve posted something without a random piece of useless information…

Did you know that Coca Cola has been used in 3rd world countries as a form of contraceptive? (Though Diet Coke supposedly works better.

hmmmmm. Earlier you posted your term as 12 years…

Eric is gone, the new Super is tasked with rebuilding relationships including user groups (PRDTU, Support staff, Admin), and non user groups (WV day care, etc). Knowing why he was or why he chose to leave is between the board and Eric. Nothing we may find out will change the outcome. I for one am happy with this outcome and look forward to the next chapter our Trustees have lined up for us.