Westview area OWL?

i live in the westview area (please dont let that effect property values!!) and when i walk my dog i hear a bird hooting…i dont beleive it to be a loon,but probabkly an owl…

any experts in this field of bird call?..anyone in the hood who has also heard it?

thanks

Does it go “hoo hooooo hoo”?

If it does, it might actually be a type of dove. We have them on this end too. I even posted about it ages ago asking the same thing you just did LOL.

Doves “coo”…some singularly, some in sequence…mine used to use a singular drawn out cooooooo

cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

They are Turtle Doves. For some unknown reason they are appearing in BC. We have a few in our neighbourhood in Nanaimo

I used to live down by the old Seal Cove School and I heard this cooing sound that I was told to be an owl. It wouldn’t matter what time of the day it was for this owl, or what ever it was, sounded like a bird in distress. I then, not to long ago, moved to the Westview area where I like to believe that it followed me, as now I have started to hear it again.

Eurasian collared dove actually, introduced to north america, and recently greatly expanding thier range and population in Northern canada, they are migratory and winter in the southern US and mexico.

Wel, whatever type of dove it is. It’s light brown in colour and is about the same size as a crow, give or take.

Does it sound like this?

yup sounds like that soggy…interesting…

Yup, that’s it. I’ve seen them before. They just showed up about two years ago.

Hoo hoooooo hoo… :stuck_out_tongue:

but this guy was around all winter…

Maybe it’s mild enough here that he doesn’t need to fly south? Dunno. But that’s the bird I’ve seen making that noise.

Off topic, but…
Tonight in my backyard I saw a woodpecker. Bluish body, bright red head. Very woody woodpecker!
I live near CHSS.

That would be the pileated woodpecker.

Tracking the dove… from Seal Cove to Westview, now points in between. Is this bird invasive? Should we be fearful? First, that fish in Burnaby Lake, now a dove, cooing all over town. What does this mean?
Really, will it displace other birds?

[quote=“windchime”]Tracking the dove… from Seal Cove to Westview, now points in between. Is this bird invasive? Should we be fearful? First, that fish in Burnaby Lake, now a dove, cooing all over town. What does this mean?
Really, will it displace other birds?[/quote]

They are Turtle Doves and actually are quite pretty ! They “play” well with others so I really don’t see the issue. I have seen them all over town since I moved here 13 years ago but below is a pic of a family of doves in my dads’ yard in Ontario in April. Same doves as are here.

[quote=“codybear933”]

[quote=“windchime”]Tracking the dove… from Seal Cove to Westview, now points in between. Is this bird invasive? Should we be fearful? First, that fish in Burnaby Lake, now a dove, cooing all over town. What does this mean?
Really, will it displace other birds?[/quote]

They are Turtle Doves and actually are quite pretty ! They “play” well with others so I really don’t see the issue. I have seen them all over town since I moved here 13 years ago but below is a pic of a family of doves in my dads’ yard in Ontario in April. Same doves as are here.[/quote]

Those aren’t the ones making the noise. The video that Soggy posted was it. I’ve seen them in the trees over where I live, and in terrace. They’re light brown in color. Not saying we don’t have turtle doves, but those aren’t the ones we’re seeing. These ones have only been here a few years.