Welfare has to go

These seasonal workers can do what alot of us do and head to Alberta to work. I make 6 figures up there and I’m not a ticketed tradesmen. Seems some people don’t want to work all year and the rest of us pay the tab for them

You people don’t have a clue what your talking about, I am on shitty welfare and absolutely hate it. I have been on welfare since my EI ran out 3 months ago, I have put Resumes every where, and I tell you ignorant fools that getting a job here is like winning the lottery. I can do any job, and run any machine with minimum amount of training, but from passed experiences, I am looking at being stuck on the garbage called welfare , witch should be called “Unfair Welfare” for the youths that just graduated from high school , that cant even get on the bullshit welfare system, and are forced to move to a super high rent city like Vancouver, or free load off mommy and daddy.

See rollins post above. Go to where the work is; don’t wait for it to come to you. For all the complaining that is done on this board about people leaving and stores closing one would think that this process is patently obvious!! This town doesn’t “owe” anybody a job or a life, much less a comfortable lifestyle.

It’s just a group of buildings along a rather ordinary strip of coast that happens to have some of the wettest/cloudiest weather in North America. Sure, it’s populated with some great people but other than that, it’s not that spectacular. Why “play the lottery” here?

[quote=“Uncle Stumbly”]See rollins post above. Go to where the work is; don’t wait for it to come to you. For all the complaining that is done on this board about people leaving and stores closing one would think that this process is patently obvious!! This town doesn’t “owe” anybody a job or a life, much less a comfortable lifestyle.

It’s just a group of buildings along a rather ordinary strip of coast that happens to have some of the wettest/cloudiest weather in North America. Sure, it’s populated with some great people but other than that, it’s not that spectacular. Why “play the lottery” here?[/quote]

+1

From what people tell me, welfare is the last thing you go to and it’s something to avoid.

Job prospects down in Vancouver is pretty mediocre for the industry I’m currently in. I’m not done with Lower Mainland yet, and at the same time I’m drafting out a plan for a huge solo trip in search for employment. :smile: However, I keep doubting myself that the helicopter and seaplane MROs at Seal Cove are looking for apprentices due to current economic situation. =.=’ Correct me if I’m wrong BTW.

seriously if you need a job and your on welfare the jobs are there . dont need a high paying job to do better than welfare. you say you went on welfare 3 months ago? well just just when the summer season starts for the ferries very respectable job. jobs are always there i dont care what anyone says if your motivated to get a job you’ll get one. i moved from victoria to here and i’ve had a higher paying job ever since then 12 years ago

I lost my job 2 years ago went on ei, tried to find work, failed. I made my own job for a bit but while my hourly wage was nice hunting for work became tiresome and took more time than doing the actual work I got… I’m now on my way back to school through one of the many agencies that will help to retrain you even if your ei is expired and will also pay your living expenses.

Perhaps you should read the newspaper specifically the articles in it that state if you have been on ei in the last 3 years that you are eligible for training. It’s not easy to get into the program but if you are willing to put some work in you could be PAID to go to school and train for a career…

I’m assuming since you were looking for work that you did purchase newspapers? if so you should have seen these ads… you arent living the high life but your bills are paid and you can afford a basic lifestyle and at the end of it so long as you work your ass off you will likely be able to obtain a job (probably not in rupert). I’d suggest looking into these agencies or you can just be angry on the internet.

I agree with you decker! I had a volunteer working with me over the past few months, great work ethic and she was able to find a choice of jobs and ended up with one that worked well for her. There are jobs out there and I know people get discouraged if they are turned down immediately but sometimes you almost have to make a nuisance of yourself and show them that you are more than willing and capable to work. Tims’ is always hiring as are a few of our restaurants, clean houses, do anything because if you sit down and figure out what you are actually “earning” hourly on welfare,based on a 40 hour week, that might be enough to shock you into accepting any position!

I heard 7-11 was hiring, they might still be…

You know how many years I tried to get on with Rupert Grain? What qualifications do I need to be a sweeper? (!!! Joke Joke)

It’s not WHAT you know, it’s WHO you know. Anyone believing anything other than that about out big business here in Rupert, is a blind fool.

Hi,

It’s that formerly successful businessman once again. I know some of you think that welfare is a sin and that it should be cast to the depths of unintiated hell from whence it came. I also see some of you believe that dastardly Joy Thir… Thoh… Tart… oh, Whatshername? (seriously, who the hell can pronounce that surname?) should stop complaining so much about the terrible state of the fishing industry, and condemn her for not caring about those stupids that work at the School Board for peanuts. But I want you all to think about something: if welfare did not exist, how would formerly successful people such as myself earn money? Where would my cheque be every Wednesday, huh? (hehe, see what I did there). And if we didn’t find suckers to work at the School Board for next to nothing, then how could we pay consultants exhorbitant contracts that they are so clearly worth?

Think about that for a while.

Oh, go to go – Sherie needs her feet rubbed and her corns dealt with.

P.S. taking care of Sherie IS a job but you won’t see that on a census form any time soon (as long as my boy Stevie gets his way I won’t volunteering that info… so embarrassing!).

What about institutionalizing a mandatory drug test that checked for non-essential substance use. The test (urine if that’s the easiest) could look for: any illegal drugs, alcohol, tobacco. Take the test, get your check :smile:. I believe that if someone is in a position where they need to go to the government for money to assist them in surviving (because they won’t get a job, not because they can’t), they should not be using said money for peripheral indulgences.

I used to work at Chances here in Prince Rupert, for over a year, and let me tell you that on a certain Wednesday each month it sure did get busy. Which brings me to the other thing that welfare money should not be used for, gambling. It’s as easy as putting a flag on the person’s BC ID or Drivers License. And when people go to buy Scratchies or go to claim prizes at Chances, the teller could simply swipe their card. If a person that should not be using the gambling facilities tries to claim a prize, they could do what they do when a self-excluded person tries to claim a prize, donate it to a random charity.

So, as you can see, I don’t think welfare should go, but it should be more carefully distributed. I look forward to input and demonstration of flaws in my thinking (other than the institutionalization which would obviously be the most difficult part).

What about get a life?
Mandatory drug test for welfare, what are you my Grampa? I’m freaking old and my Grampa came here to get away from people with ideas like that.

That’s messed up, maybe we should just tatoo a barcode to there foreheads, or better yet put WELFARE across it.

what about random drug tests for regular jobs? could every business in town do random drug tests/piss tests too? I know a lot of people would end up getting fired, and be trying to get on welfare if they took a piss test. I mean what are you suggesting? that only the working class could do drugs and get away with it? i’d rather have someone on disability/welfare at home smoking a doob or having a beer then some guy driving a forklift, or bus or cab, you guys are hilarious.

you guys need to grow up and live your life, stop trying to change the world to make yourself feel better. so what if so and so is sitting at home and not working but getting paid, how many jobs are out there right now that you guys know of?.

I talked to one of the guys on strike in the mall the other day, he said he’s happy the store closed down, he was only working part time and not making much, but now that they are on strike he’s getting the full time wages, and making more sitting outside there playing cards then he ever did as an employee. in this shitty economy with stores closing down left right and centre, all I could think was “that’s great, as long as he’s not out on the streets somewhere waiting to die” I know a couple people that worked there have moved on and got jobs elsewhere but hey to each his own.

i’m working part time now, 4 days a week I make just enough to pay rent, bills and keep food in our cupboards/fridge. i’m living my life happy to be where i’m at, i’m not on here crying about how someone one else is living, you think they ever dedicate any of their time to stop and think about you and your life? I highly doubt it. so while you’re wasting your time they are probably sitting back, smoking a joint, and watching some T.V.

and yeah i’m just scraping by now but my i’m happy my kid doesn’t have to do her laundry in the bathroom sink like I did growing up in a home with a single parent on welfare, and seriously… think about it. how many people do you know that would pass a drug test at their job? lets start it up next week, how long does weed stay in your system? like six weeks or something?

ok so everyone piss in a cup and bring it to the hospital/police station or where ever they do the tests and if it comes back negative you can keep your job, if positive you can just be homeless and wait around to die because by your rules you wouldn’t be eligible for welfare. we’ll see how much you guys like change then.

[quote=“Chrystoph”]What about institutionalizing a mandatory drug test that checked for non-essential substance use. The test (urine if that’s the easiest) could look for: any illegal drugs, alcohol, tobacco. Take the test, get your check :smile:. I believe that if someone is in a position where they need to go to the government for money to assist them in surviving (because they won’t get a job, not because they can’t), they should not be using said money for peripheral indulgences.

I used to work at Chances here in Prince Rupert, for over a year, and let me tell you that on a certain Wednesday each month it sure did get busy. Which brings me to the other thing that welfare money should not be used for, gambling. It’s as easy as putting a flag on the person’s BC ID or Drivers License. And when people go to buy Scratchies or go to claim prizes at Chances, the teller could simply swipe their card. If a person that should not be using the gambling facilities tries to claim a prize, they could do what they do when a self-excluded person tries to claim a prize, donate it to a random charity.

So, as you can see, I don’t think welfare should go, but it should be more carefully distributed. I look forward to input and demonstration of flaws in my thinking (other than the institutionalization which would obviously be the most difficult part).[/quote]

Communism fell years ago, the wall is down and many of those countries are free now, get with the times…
I do agree that there could be improvements as to how Social Programs are distributed, but, Big Brother is not the answer.
I think the programs need to be comprehensive, involving training programs and maybe even food vouchers, because, just blindly giving away money is not solving any problems.

[quote=“unokilo321”] seriously… think about it. how many people do you know that would pass a drug test at their job? lets start it up next week, how long does weed stay in your system? like six weeks or something?

ok so everyone piss in a cup and bring it to the hospital/police station or where ever they do the tests and if it comes back negative you can keep your job, if positive you can just be homeless and wait around to die because by your rules you wouldn’t be eligible for welfare. we’ll see how much you guys like change then.[/quote]

Wow… you must surround yourself with quite the crowd. You really think everybody does drugs? FYI, they don’t.