Welfare has to go

I think wefare should be replaced with work fare you get work credits this is being looked at in hungry
the govt issuies you a punch card and you they send you to differnt areas to work and you work for credits
and your credits are turned into cash that is put on a card so you can bye food and the things you need to survive
no booze or smokes or bingo.

I agree 100% however when Vander Zalm proposed “Work for Welfare” there was an out cry…
I too am tired of the free ride people are getting. The disabled on the disability welfare are seriously in need of more than the system pays, but the able bodied are getting a free ride. Stop the bs and give the disabled more and get the rest off their asses.

How about everyone work for credits , even you idiots ,
and your credits are turned into cash that is put on a card so you can bye food and the things you need to survive
no booze or smokes or bingo or hookers , bet you guys arnt to keen on it now huh .

[quote=“ajaye46”]I think wefare should be replaced with work fare you get work credits this is being looked at in hungry
the govt issuies you a punch card and you they send you to differnt areas to work and you work for credits
no booze or smokes or bingo.[/quote]

And a one, two, one, two, three, four

OMG! aJAYE where the heck do you get off? don’t lump all ppl together…just because some people waste their $$ doesn’t mean they are all like that! get off your high horse!!

[quote=“rupertguy”]I agree 100% however when Vander Zalm proposed “Work for Welfare” there was an out cry…
I too am tired of the free ride people are getting. The disabled on the disability welfare are seriously in need of more than the system pays, but the able bodied are getting a free ride. Stop the bs and give the disabled more and get the rest off their asses.[/quote]

This is a real hotbed issue ! I remember they tried the
"Work for Welfare" program back east years ago and it was met with a great deal of resistance, calling it a violation of their rights! If welfare recipients choose not to work for minimun 8 hours per month then that is their right! I work part-time and receive disability, epileptic and a host of other health issues but I am so grateful for the $500 monthly that we are able to earn. I work hard and I must say I am proud that I do but where I work I mainly serve people on the system , generational welfare recipients, some so ungrateful and undeserving of the service provided and on a bad day I get really pissed off! I am serving those that are “less fortunate” than I but when someone comes in looking for day workers and no one takes the work as it only pays $10 per hour, what is up with that? The system has to be tightened up somehow but it has gone so far now, is it true that job search is not even required anymore? It’s “funny” sometimes too, when some of my clients hear I am receiving PWD, the comment is well you don’t look disabled, how did you manage that one? I see red, get out there, do some work, have some respect for yourself and stop placing those of us who are trying in a position where I, at least, almost feel I have to defend my situation. I did not ask for these health issues but I work, I pay my bills and I get slammed daily by some who choose to sit on their asses and do piss all ! Have to love those that stay in school for years too, some not even attending the classes regularly but paid by the Ministry to do so. What a waste of funding there ! Sorry guys, just venting, been a LONG day !

Like codyBear933 I also work with those that are on welfare. If anyone for a second believes that living on $550 a month for a single person paying, food, rent etc. is doable please show me how so that I can pass those wonder tips on. Yes there are those that abuse the system, but they are few and far between particularily when you look and single moms trying to raise children, or single dads for that matter and they have to deal with a dead beat parent whose has walked out on them for something better or what ever the reason was.

Or how about young adults how hav left home because parents have vacated being parents, or the kids need to leave because their parents can’t stop the substance abuse, where do these young adults end up as they try to finish school and get out of the poverty trap, on welfare and that is where I want them to be.

I pay taxes so that welfare exists, so that we have EI so that we have a social net, and I like that, it makes me feel good it makes me proud that I can help those, be it for the rest of their lives or for a couple of years, I really don’t care. Do I get pissed that there are those that abuse the system, sure I do, but look at any unionized work place and try and tell me there are no slackers in those situations, protected by their union contract. So to all of you nay sayers I am waiting for you to prove you can do it better, or you can show me those great paying jobs just waiting for your job application waiting to snap you up so that all those on welfare are gainfully employed.

[quote=“codybear933”]

[quote=“rupertguy”]I agree 100% however when Vander Zalm proposed “Work for Welfare” there was an out cry…
I too am tired of the free ride people are getting. The disabled on the disability welfare are seriously in need of more than the system pays, but the able bodied are getting a free ride. Stop the bs and give the disabled more and get the rest off their asses.[/quote]

This is a real hotbed issue ! I remember they tried the
"Work for Welfare" program back east years ago and it was met with a great deal of resistance, calling it a violation of their rights! If welfare recipients choose not to work for minimun 8 hours per month then that is their right! I work part-time and receive disability, epileptic and a host of other health issues but I am so grateful for the $500 monthly that we are able to earn. I work hard and I must say I am proud that I do but where I work I mainly serve people on the system , generational welfare recipients, some so ungrateful and undeserving of the service provided and on a bad day I get really pissed off! I am serving those that are “less fortunate” than I but when someone comes in looking for day workers and no one takes the work as it only pays $10 per hour, what is up with that? The system has to be tightened up somehow but it has gone so far now, is it true that job search is not even required anymore? It’s “funny” sometimes too, when some of my clients hear I am receiving PWD, the comment is well you don’t look disabled, how did you manage that one? I see red, get out there, do some work, have some respect for yourself and stop placing those of us who are trying in a position where I, at least, almost feel I have to defend my situation. I did not ask for these health issues but I work, I pay my bills and I get slammed daily by some who choose to sit on their asses and do piss all ! Have to love those that stay in school for years too, some not even attending the classes regularly but paid by the Ministry to do so. What a waste of funding there ! Sorry guys, just venting, been a LONG day ![/quote]

My heart goes out to you cody bear… I believe the job search is required but it is easily faked… I assist disabled at the welfare office sometimes and what I see from the able bodied makes my stomach turn… something has to be done …

Just keep busting unions and electing Harper and Gordo and we can ALL try to live on $550 a month.
What the hell you gettin’ your panties in a knot over someone getting SFA. There’s a reason they’re there, most are too useless for anyone in their right mind to hire.

This is a hotbed topic. I can rant and rave about the system and its misuse and point to all kinds of people who don’t deserve this no matter how small the pittance. There are lots of lazy ass people who can’t be bothered to finish school to prepare for a job, those who refuse to leave their family like so many of us had too and more. I spend lots of time in Mexico and they have a welfare system down there too. In order to keep kids in school the gov’t gives money to the families whose children go to school and acheive passing or better grades. As they get older the check gets bigger as they become more valuable if they go to work. Especially girls, they usually drop out to help support the family. But, now they can stay in school and learn and get a job a step up from being a beach vendor 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. The mothers are also required to attend parenting classes, nutrition, budgeting etc…This system has been adopted by many countries worldwide. There is also assistance for those who are honestly disabled and for seniors but you really must have family to care for you in most cases. http://sparks-mexico.com/costalegre/assorted/gov-food.jpg (hopefully a pic is here…its a pic of the small, very small handout people get when they get it which isn’t often. If it does not show on this post i will repost. Here is a link to the program i mention above. info.worldbank.org/etools/docs/r … ummary.pdf worth reading. So, i will keep bitching about welfare losers but here is what i realize. Who are you voting for? Tell them what you think and what you want to see. Have you checked the outrageous abuse the system has. How bout the MLA who lives within 20 mins of where she sits but bills us $83 for each time she sits for her meals? Come on, she drives 20 mins to work and can’t take a lunch or buy one for less than that? In Victoria? Get rid of this bitch and others like her…lets start weeding at the top. I have been told that only 27% of us voted. That sucks. You can’t bitch about nothing if you were too lazy to vote. Start telling Gary Coons how you feel everytime you see him, start telling Nathan Cullen, write a letter to our good people in Ottawa. Ya, i hate welfare slackers and there are lots…and i hate how they feel entitled and treat those of us who work with them like crap. BUT they won’t change, we need to change. Lets revolt! One more think i like about Mexico and Mexicans is they stand up for themselves. If you think you are eating to much crap these days then change it. At the end of the day if we all holler we can make that change. Forget the lazy ass welfare bums, move up on the food chain people.

OMG… some of you need to pick you battles and the ranting and raving over “slacker on welfare” should be the least of your worries. What is going on for you that you need to pick on those less fortunate that you rather than come up with a solution to what you are ranting about. Getting rid of welfare isn’t the answer to your rant, jobs, affordable daycare, education etc is what is needed.

So if I came knocking on your door to say that one of your family members, struggling with an addiction problem needs your help and I give your the choice of either placing your family member on welfare and your supporting them with a meager amount of money, to keep them safe feed and housed: or to be fully supported by yourself you would choose the later, give me a break…family members are too stretched to help out and any help is usually appreciated, so get off the “loser welfare receiptants” and come up with solution.

What I can’t stand is people who bitch with no VIABLE solution that helps the individual. I think those of you that ranting are like ex-smokers, I think they’ve been on the dole before and are ashamed of it and looking to redeeme yourself.

[quote=“ajaye46”]I think wefare should be replaced with work fare you get work credits this is being looked at in hungry
no booze or smokes or bingo.[/quote]

Really.

Just list all the things YOU don’t like about life in Canada…heck, the world, and tell all of us how you would change things when you have your turn running the show.
Is welfare the first thing you would change? Nothing else comes to mind?

There should be an earning incentive for those on welfare. I don’t know why they abandoned that as not only does it give people obviously more money but it offers them work experience and job skills. Just sitting month in and month out waiting for a cheque with no accountability for that money is a no win situation. Offer people some dignity by allowing them to earn some money instead of the constant giveaways. Times are tough for everyone but it is how you deal with your situation and the choices you make that make life more bearable. As far as there not being a great deal of welfare abuse as northerngal has suggested, I am afraid she/he may need to be enlightened a little. Granted the job situation in Rupert is not good but working for a little money is better than not working at all. You have to maintain and upgrade what skills you currently have and take advantage of opoortunities when they arise instead of sitting back and expecting the government and the tax payers to pay for you for the rest of our lives. So you have asked for solutions and really there are none but I do really support allowing recipients to earn money and not have to claim every dime they may earn. I think that would be a positive starting point.

My question is. And I know it’s a harsh one. But it honestly comes from the heart.

Why should they do anything, if they don’t HAVE to do anything? They don’t have to try to do anything to get money because it comes to them every month without question.

I say that with the most compassion, and understanding. But it’s true. It’s part of the human condition. We all do it. Whether it be in small, or large ways. If you’ve got something easy, why bother doing the work to be better?

I dunno, something to think about. If you have food coming to you, even if it’s just canned soup, every day, and you don’t have to do anything to get it, why would you do all the work preparing a steak dinner? Monetarily and so on.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]My question is. And I know it’s a harsh one. But it honestly comes from the heart.

Why should they do anything, if they don’t HAVE to do anything? They don’t have to try to do anything to get money because it comes to them every month without question.

I say that with the most compassion, and understanding. But it’s true. It’s part of the human condition. We all do it. Whether it be in small, or large ways. If you’ve got something easy, why bother doing the work to be better?

I dunno, something to think about. If you have food coming to you, even if it’s just canned soup, every day, and you don’t have to do anything to get it, why would you do all the work preparing a steak dinner? Monetarily and so on.[/quote]

I can see your point Bubba and I can certainly understand it but on the other hand I take exception to it which I know was not your intention. As I said previously, I am in receipt of PWD for various medical issues and to be honest, I work my ass off and you know where I work, I think, so you know this to be a fact. I also know many on PWD especially and some on welfare who work hard for the little they receive. I have 3 volunteers who work with me now who are on PWD and work harder than most anyone I know and because they are appreciated they find it confidence boosting and more importantly to them, rewarding and fun. It gives them a great sense of acomplishment and they are valued in the workplace AND there is no financial incentive for them as the funding it seems for the volunteer program where they can earn $100 monthly for 10 hours work is on hold as far as I know. On that I could be wrong but they were not accepted anyway. I guess as I never seemed to get much the easy way, I work hard for everything I have and I am proud of that and I credit my parents for instilling a great work ethic in me. It all comes down to whether you want your life to be better and more fulfilling or you are content with it as is and only the individual can make that choice but if they choose the latter, then why should us tax payers have to pay for their laziness?

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]My question is. And I know it’s a harsh one. But it honestly comes from the heart.

I dunno, something to think about. If you have food coming to you, even if it’s just canned soup, every day, and you don’t have to do anything to get it, why would you do all the work preparing a steak dinner? Monetarily and so on.[/quote]

Is this the voice of experience speaking? Cause I remember you saying last year your parents were fed up with you mooching off them and not bothering to get a job and help them out a little bit by paying some rent, I recall you saying their exact words were “they say I am eating them out of house and home” and seeing as your are now in your twenties its not unreasonable of them to expect you to contribute a little bit of grocery money seeing as you have managed to get a free ride right into the twenties but as you say its human nature to “mooch as much as you can for as long as you can”…well that cetainly has never been true for me or most of the people I know, we all take pride in earning our keep and knowing that we are capable of paying our own bills, we dont need to ask mommy for $20 to get a haircut when we are twenty something, we would never want to take advantage of them like that so no bubba its not a basic human trait anymore than lying or stealing is but the liars and theives will tell you it is…makes it easier for them to sleep at night I guess but deep down they know as well as the rest of us what they are doing is a sign of their weak character or lack of character.
So why would anyone prepare a steak when there was canned soup already prepared for you? Simple, because most people contrary to you claim are not too lazy to take the time to prepare a nice steak, waiting for it as it cooks thinking about how good its going to taste is part of the pleasure, its kind of like saving up for something you want, the having to wait and put effort into earning it makes it more pleasureable when you get it. This is the lesson spoiled brat kids miss and it costs them in the long run, you hurt your kids by spoiling them…there is great pleasure in earning the things that please you, and great pleasure in being able to give, you cheat yourself if you bypass the earning part, and you never have anything to give. “The Devil is never a maker, and the less that you give…your a taker!” - Ronnie James Dio

[quote=“codybear933”]

I can see your point Bubba and I can certainly understand it but on the other hand I take exception to it which I know was not your intention. As I said previously, I am in receipt of PWD for various medical issues and to be honest, I work my ass off and you know where I work, I think, so you know this to be a fact. I also know many on PWD especially and some on welfare who work hard for the little they receive. I have 3 volunteers who work with me now who are on PWD and work harder than most anyone I know and because they are appreciated they find it confidence boosting and more importantly to them, rewarding and fun. It gives them a great sense of acomplishment and they are valued in the workplace AND there is no financial incentive for them as the funding it seems for the volunteer program where they can earn $100 monthly for 10 hours work is on hold as far as I know. On that I could be wrong but they were not accepted anyway. I guess as I never seemed to get much the easy way, I work hard for everything I have and I am proud of that and I credit my parents for instilling a great work ethic in me. It all comes down to whether you want your life to be better and more fulfilling or you are content with it as is and only the individual can make that choice but if they choose the latter, then why should us tax payers have to pay for their laziness?[/quote]

Yes, there’s always exceptions to every rule. And I sure am glad there are. Unfortumately, alot of people tend to take the easy way out. Which is where you get people on welfare that don’t WANT to do anything, and continue the cycle.

I won’t go as far as saying that our system needs to be changed to a work for credits program, but I do think there needs to be changes.
As far as the last time there was major changes to the system, the city experienced an increase in vandalism, theft and overall crime. Either way, it seems, WE pay.

Someone asked how people can abuse a system that only gives them $550 a month. But when ya lie and live with a couple others who say they are single too and you all collect you can live in a fairly good place. I know there are those who don’t abuse but I do agree with the thinking that you should have to give something to get something. You could volunteer to visit people in old folks homes or the hospital for those physically limited, you could clean up garbage on streets, you could rebuild trails for hiking, you could shop for seniors, you could walk dogs…and on and on. Then you would get a incentive to spend as you wished. Sounds good and also sounds like it could build skills. We also have Hecate Straight and other places where you can get free education. Self esteem comes from getting out and doing a good job/deed, learning something and being a contributing member.

If you choose to sit on the dole, have another brat, drop out of school, drink and drug instead of learning how to budget and cook and care for yourself then ya are a loser. I was on welfare 29 years ago. I got a student loan, found child care, had everything in line to go to school and welfare refused to pay my rent and told me i was a lost cause. I had only been on the system a few months after leaving an abusive relationship. I got so friggen mad but there was no way i could go to school without the support. I got lucky, i hit the pavement and applied for everything and ended up landing a good job. It can be done if you are willing to do it. Even in a tough economy but you might have to move.

STILL, I say we are picking at the wrong direction…where are our politicans on this? Why aren’t we reporting abuse when we see it? Why aren’t we demanding more workers so they can do home checks? Why don’t we gobble up the guy high up stealing from us? I say we start by writing a letter to our leaders…

I can sense your anger “roja” or is it the same feeling of disillusionment that I have felt for awhile dealing with people and the excuses and the abuse. I agree with your points regarding working in town and especially cleaning up the trails and the garbage around town. I would think that working with seniors etc. would require a Criminal Records check though so that may prove to be a pitfall for some. I still maintain that the biggest mistake they made, one of them anyway, was abolishing the earning incentive for those on welfare. Even an extra $150 monthly makes a big difference and the fact that so many are working under the table anyway, why not make that legal? As for the living arrangements, yes that is a major abusive area. I remember a few years ago, the provincial gov’t had those of us on PWD on tenderhooks while they made many reapply with that almost 50 page application that they purported would weed out the abusers and this was on disability not welfare. Why don’t they “weed out” some of them, it is ridiculous. I belong to the BC Coalition for People with Disabilities in Van. and they are great advocates for those of us on PWD and they were swamped when that came to pass, there were folks unable to work at all who were totally stressed out with that application, it was very sad and for those who maintained their status, unneccessary stress. It is a hard issue to deal with, the welfare system, but hopefully changes can be made for those that are truly in need and keep more in the coffers for those who are trying.