Waterfront Fatigue

Have you walked the waterfront, “enough already”? If the answer is “yes” you may be suffering from Waterfront Fatigue.
Increased television watching and the desire to “just stay home” are indications of trouble. If this describes you, its not too late.

The causes of this Rupert-specific condition include the closure of public access to the downtown waterfront; no access to Ridley Island; further back in our history, the loss of the gondola up the mountain; and… no sign of hope for change.

Here are three steps you can take: visit the Sunken Gardens, especially the benches and picnic tables at the top level; visit the Port Edward Lions Park with the excellent view of Porpoise Harbour, flowers and green grass; and finally, if there is an election this fall to replace Jennifer Rice on City Council at least vote.

What are your suggestions to eradicate this ailment (which may or may not be related to Butze Burnout)? Thank you.

I brought an idea up a few months ago and was quite surprised at the lack of discussion.

http://forum.hackingthemainframe.com/t/barrett-point/15688/1

Buy a canoe,
How about a Kayak?
Thought about a mountain bike?
Get a tent or RV and go camping?

Just my first thoughts…

The Barrett Point post I only saw today. Don’t know how I missed it. I was going to post underneath it but wasn’t sure about resurrecting an older item. Nevertheless, what Barrett offers is tremendous, a quick trip out of town and a view that reminds us of our place on the continent. After it is known whose jurisdiction it is, sounds like it could be an issue for our city council to pursue.

Bikes, kayaking and tenting, yahoo! I am hoping to take up urban biking early Sunday mornings when there is no traffic. Knees are shot so kayaking makes me nervous. Otherwise, great suggestions.

[quote=“windchime”]The Barrett Point post I only saw today. Don’t know how I missed it. I was going to post underneath it but wasn’t sure about resurrecting an older item. Nevertheless, what Barrett offers is tremendous, a quick trip out of town and a view that reminds us of our place on the continent. After it is known whose jurisdiction it is, sounds like it could be an issue for our city council to pursue.

Bikes, kayaking and tenting, yahoo! I am hoping to take up urban biking early Sunday mornings when there is no traffic. Knees are shot so kayaking makes me nervous. Otherwise, great suggestions.[/quote]

windchine my heart goes out to you and I wish you the very best in your endeavors … I can relate to your waterfront fatigue issue only to well. I just learned to drive late in life the past couple of years, and choose to not own a car and use that money for other things. Rupert used to have tons of nice walking areas but now w.o a car you are hooped. I am loving Victoria moved here in June for all the vast waterfronts and so many other neat walking areas. I took a leave as work is tight down here but if I come back a car will be needed. Butze is awesome but gets really lame after a while. Barrett point is interesting do enjoy it… I was so upset when they closed down the water front up there. I did lots of walking down to seal cove along that trail/ tracks prior to leaving, I wish they would fix that area up as well… hope it works out for you!

Waterfront Fatigue comes in many forms, for the people that live on the bottom end of Atlin and Graham it is from being woken up almost every morning at 6:30 or 7:00 am by the honking horns of trucks, the beeping of backing up vehicles and the construction workers yelling . It seems like those silos are a big echo chamber.

I guarantee you that the rail line was there before any one of those houses. I can sympathize as I live in the general area as well but this is Rupert, not a resort or retirement community. With that said, I do hope that the situation improves and that we can all live peacefully and harmoniously.