VoIP

Does anyone know if you can get VoIP in Prince Rupert?
Or uses VoIP in Rupert…?
What is the quaility like?

You can get VOIP, problem is finding a service that will give you a Rupert phone number.

Yah im in Vancouver VoIP is so so but has a way to go yet.
Takes up major bandwidth for voice to.

What im really Excited for here is ADSL2

[quote=“Kellywise”]Yah im in Vancouver VoIP is so so but has a way to go yet.
Takes up major bandwidth for voice to.[/quote]

It shouldn’t. Usually another app taking up the bwidth.

You can VOIP with pretty much any computer with an Internet connection. If it’s a VoIP/POTS interface you’re after, I don’t think you’re going to get treated well in Rupert.

But just using Skype or whatever is fine, like, if you’re doing a computer-to-computer call.

You can do Vonage or even Dolphin (that’s the one we hooked with) but Telus controls local numbers. I finally got my Bell Solo cellphone when they released Fort St James number just last week. That’s *BELL *getting stalled by Telus for over two years in spite of all the CRTC rulings and gov’t decrees.
My dolphin VoIP has a Vancouver 604 number, so that’s cool because all my relatives and old friends are down there. We can call each other free with the minimal package at $10.95.
Bell has a good thing with the Solo (is it available in Rupert? Do you have a Bell store or Wireless Wave store?) unlimited text and Canada wide 10-4 walkie talkie for $1. No **** contract, the best thing. $69.00!

VoIP takes way more bandwidth… The Bright Government just got VoIP for all their offices in some parts of vancouver and what did they find… WOW they didnt have enough bandwidth 4oclock rolls around and everyone starts using their computers and phones… and now some dont work… Think about it… your voice in a phone is 300hz-3.4khz and so they round it up to 4khz. Your voice is 8bits. Thats 24 conversations per t1 if your not subrating your DS0’s. So now we change this to digital and use a DHCP server + some crappy VoIP phones and a router with SIP rocking out. How big is an interenet packet compared to a 8bit voice ds0? WAY bigger. Im sure its fine computer to computer but the guys im talking to are saying its kinda crap over the phone. Shaw has VoIP here its not that great just like Telus has shitty Telus TV comming out next month. I think VoIP has a long way to go. Does anyone know how the Voice packets get priority over your data packets? Does SIP do that im not that educated on the protocol. I dont want to switch off the PSTN and have my conversations all lagged from the internet being busy as hell. I wonder if my voice was forced to go through a redundant path because something failed if it would also lag.???
anyway just thoughts

They dont. To a router its all just data packets. Unless the router has QoS or some other feature enabled to give priority to those voice packets over Joe Gamers game data, or Joe Web-surfer http traffic, its all just the same to the router.

Routers can ID the protocol and SIP is just another protocol. SIP, as far as I know, can not prioritize the traffic. Routers can. And unless they are setup to look for SIP (or other VoIP protocols) to give it higher precedence then that router, if overloaded, can and will drop your voice traffic unless some form of QoS is enabled.

Even our new wireless radios have QoS for VoIP, as does our bandwidth manager.
That’s 24 paths per T1, but you can screw around multiplexing if you want. They still had plenty of of old concentrator stuff when I moved up here squeezing up to 16 subs per T1. You couldn’t tell til the Net happenned and all you could get was 9600bps on your dialup.
If you’re running a DSL with multiple users, yeah it gets choppy. Ours only had 1 MB up (lucky to get 600 in reality) and it sucked at 4:30 when every kid on our system came home and fired up KaZaa or BitTorrent.
The E3 pipe, you can’t tell the difference from POTS, but you’re basically right it’s still a gimmick. You need VoIP like a teenager needs DSL to ‘do their homework’ :laughing:

**I should add, like an adult ‘needs’ DSL to do a lot of emails. Then still uses fucking Outlook…

[quote=“Kellywise”]VoIP takes way more bandwidth… The Bright Government just got VoIP for all their offices in some parts of vancouver and what did they find… WOW they didnt have enough bandwidth 4oclock rolls around and everyone starts using their computers and phones… and now some dont work… Think about it… your voice in a phone is 300hz-3.4khz and so they round it up to 4khz. Your voice is 8bits. Thats 24 conversations per t1 if your not subrating your DS0’s. So now we change this to digital and use a DHCP server + some crappy VoIP phones and a router with SIP rocking out. How big is an interenet packet compared to a 8bit voice ds0? WAY bigger. Im sure its fine computer to computer but the guys im talking to are saying its kinda crap over the phone. Shaw has VoIP here its not that great just like Telus has shitty Telus TV comming out next month. I think VoIP has a long way to go. Does anyone know how the Voice packets get priority over your data packets? Does SIP do that im not that educated on the protocol. I dont want to switch off the PSTN and have my conversations all lagged from the internet being busy as hell. I wonder if my voice was forced to go through a redundant path because something failed if it would also lag.???
anyway just thoughts[/quote]

i don’t know much about the technical aspect of it to be honest, all i know is that since i’ve signed up with Vonage i haven’t had any problems at all, and the people who i’ve sold the units to where i work at best buy, haven’t had any problems either. no digital voice distortion, lag or any problems, even while running programs that require internet access or surfing while on the voip phone.

with vonage, they have a slider bar once you sign in to access your online account where you can control how much bandwidth is used for the voip phone, or essentially, the quality of the connected call, i run it at the highest and still no problems or lag. yeah most voip companies have a way to go, but as far as vonage goes, more selection of numbers/area codes to be exact, living in langley and having a vancouver cell number isn’t that bad cause its local anyway, they are making progress slowly…over the last few months i’ve seen numerous cities added to their list of service areas.