Vista put off til January

nytimes.com/2006/03/27/techn … ref=slogin

Interesting article states the home version of Vista will not be rolled out until 2007. Is Microsoft turning into the GM of software, slow to react, stuck on backward compatability?

Ya makes you wonder part of whats going on here, I think the computers that we have will have difficulties running Vista properly, also vista will be out in Nov 2006 for corporations, Vista Home and Vista Pro will be out in 2007.

Sony Playstation 3 is in the same boat, there waitng for different hardware, like Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD, the hardware could push the price to over 700.00 american.

Read in Wired, I believe, that there are currently security problems (who would’a thunk it?). They don’t want to release it before they’ve screwed with it more.

4 reasons.

1. Putting off the Vista release puts it in the same release date as the new Office. Big advertising potential.

2. The EU is already screaming about it.

3. It’s going to be the most complex OS ever released, on a market where the standard PC turnaround has gone from 2 years to more than 4 for some people. Think about that. Think about all the different hardware out there, compatability issues, etc. Some people run a P3 1GHz with XP, and play CS all day long, and it runs fine.

4. It’s not going to be ready for fall.

Personally, I’d prefer M$ to take their time on this one. XP is now pretty darned stable, and Media Center is finally starting to take off.

Besides, the people who NEED their PCs to be up/running 24/7 (business) won’t adapt until the first service pack at least.

Lots of businesses still running 2k. Heck, lots of businesses still running 98/Me/95.

Pfffft… Media edition sucks… Serves no purpose except for raping the general public of their hard earned dollars. Personally I like my stripped down version of Windows XP Pro. I use gaim Messenger(includes all messenger services) Mplayer movies player… No pretty gui, but runs a hell of a lot smoother then Windows Crappy player(Plays all Dvix/AVI, Mpeg, MP4, Mov, DVD, etc…) I use firefox rather than IE. I don’t know if I will ever purchase vista, since its all pretty, shitty, windows programs built in. I mean, most windows application dont server any better purpose other than to look pretty, so stupid people that dont understand, will use them. Nothing like paying the premium to look at advertisments all day long.

:astonished: :astonished: Media center 2005 rocks, do you own it Delirious, I do and I love it, I can record, my TV shows and or Movies over 150 Hrs, it runs my media server for the hole house, I can have a movie playing on my bedroom TV, the kids can watch TV in there room and the Misses can listen to her music and I can be left alone, in piece.

I know there are free front ends that do it now, but I like it alot, :smiley:

I can wait for Vista to be released, XP Pro works just fine for me. The requirements for Vista are harsh, my current XP box won’t cut it. I’ll limp along with XP until a year or so after Vista has been released then I’ll buy a new PC…by then the idiots at Redmond will have Vista relatively bug free. :smiley:

[quote=“Astrothug”]:o :astonished: Media center 2005 rocks, do you own it Delirious, I do and I love it, I can record, my TV shows and or Movies over 150 Hrs, it runs my media server for the hole house, I can have a movie playing on my bedroom TV, the kids can watch TV in there room and the Misses can listen to her music and I can be left alone, in piece.

I know there are free front ends that do it now, but I like it alot, :smiley:[/quote]

Ya. but it’s still windows.

[quote=“jleaman”]

[quote=“Astrothug”]:o :astonished: Media center 2005 rocks, do you own it Delirious, I do and I love it, I can record, my TV shows and or Movies over 150 Hrs, it runs my media server for the hole house, I can have a movie playing on my bedroom TV, the kids can watch TV in there room and the Misses can listen to her music and I can be left alone, in piece.

I know there are free front ends that do it now, but I like it alot, :smiley:[/quote]

Ya. but it’s still windows.[/quote]

I’m a huge Linux fan! But, Linux has a lot of work to do before it ever makes a real dent in M$'s market share. Most people don’t know about Linux or don’t care.
Having said that I’d never run windows on my PCs…Linux does indeed rule! :smiley:
I have one XP box in my house that my kid uses…sheesh it is a lot of work to keep windows secure:-)

[quote=“hitest”]

I’m a huge Linux fan! But, Linux has a lot of work to do before it ever makes a real dent in M$'s market share. Most people don’t know about Linux or don’t care.
Having said that I’d never run windows on my PCs…Linux does indeed rule! :smiley:
I have one XP box in my house that my kid uses…sheesh it is a lot of work to keep windows secure:-)[/quote]

Who cares about market share? Linux has a tonne of market share when it comes to servers. Linux makes a great desktop; if you know what you’re doing and actually have a use for it. Linux is not windows so dont expect it to behave the same.

There will be a learning curve and to be honest its not all that steep anymore. the only thing that I see needing to be fixed is the X server, You should not need to edit a config file to setup your gui (its not such an issue anymore).

Linux isnt perfect but it isnt made for the average user, the tools and the OS itself was made for power users hence why it doesnt have the market share.

Personally I dont care if linux takes away any of microsofts market share on the desktop. If they can do so and keep the functionality I enjoy then great, if not i still have the tools I need.

The only windows desktop in my house is my girlfriends and it’s secure because I secured it and made her adhere to my security policies which consist of switching users to administrator to install anything. Yes its a pain in the ass but thats half the point, makes her think twice about installing dumb shit :stuck_out_tongue:

PS. my grandma used linux without any issues, kinda throws a wrench in the whole linux isnt ready argument :wink:

Little things in Linux: eg: I just installed Fedora 5 in a machine, when it booted on it’s own one of the options was to set the display. Picked 1280x784 and ZAP out of range for monitor. No failsafe check like on Windows, no reboot in VGA or safe like in Windows.
Little things like this stop Joe Blow from using it.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Little things in Linux: eg: I just installed Fedora 5 in a machine, when it booted on it’s own one of the options was to set the display. Picked 1280x784 and ZAP out of range for monitor. No failsafe check like on Windows, no reboot in VGA or safe like in Windows.
Little things like this stop Joe Blow from using it.[/quote]

Switch to mandrake / mandrivia OR suse :smile:

[quote=“jesus”]

[quote=“hitest”]

I have one XP box in my house that my kid uses…sheesh it is a lot of work to keep windows secure:-)[/quote]

Who cares about market share? Linux has a tonne of market share when it comes to servers. Linux makes a great desktop; if you know what you’re doing and actually have a use for it. Linux is not windows so dont expect it to behave the same.

There will be a learning curve and to be honest its not all that steep anymore. the only thing that I see needing to be fixed is the X server, You should not need to edit a config file to setup your gui (its not such an issue anymore).

Linux isnt perfect but it isnt made for the average user, the tools and the OS itself was made for power users hence why it doesnt have the market share.

Personally I dont care if linux takes away any of microsofts market share on the desktop. If they can do so and keep the functionality I enjoy then great, if not i still have the tools I need.

The only windows desktop in my house is my girlfriends and it’s secure because I secured it and made her adhere to my security policies which consist of switching users to administrator to install anything. Yes its a pain in the ass but thats half the point, makes her think twice about installing dumb shit :stuck_out_tongue:

PS. my grandma used linux without any issues, kinda throws a wrench in the whole linux isnt ready argument :wink:[/quote]

Yes, Linux has significant market share on the server side, but, the general public is unaware of this fact. Desktop adoption of Linux hasn’t really taken off yet. Many computer users don’t give a rat’s ass about Linux, don’t even know it is an alternative to M$. On a side note Red Hat recently beat estimates and is making significant inroads into the corporate market place:-)
I actually don’t mind editing my xorgconfig or inittab files in Slackware, it is kind of fun. I love Linux, have used it for almost four years.
Sure, if a shiny rpm based distro is set-up properly anyone can use it, KDE looks just like windows…grandma would indeed love it:-)
Where Linux falls down is in hardware drivers. M$ beats the hell out of Linux in that department. Linux is getting better however, and more drivers are being written for cameras, printers, etc.
I think that Linux is gaining momentum, albeit very slowly. Ubuntu will be releasing version 6.06 in June, it is going to be an enterprise level OS.
:smiley:

I was hoping to set my laptop up for dual boot, but Fedora 5 doesn’t offer the option to install without whacking Windows. I will retry Mandriva 1

Both Suse 10.0 and Ubuntu 5.10 will set-up a dual boot system with windows without destroying your windows partition. Ubuntu is particularly good at setting up a dual boot system. :smiley:

I use the Ubuntu Live a fair bit, but I run a half dozen redhat fedora servers, so I thought I should get more familiar with that flavor.
On a related note: I posted a dual gateway question ages ago and never solved it. So I called the ubergeek I know in PG and after 2 hours it was so fucked up neither one would work and he buggered off for lunch!
:confused:
At least I’d learned enuff since to restore the one gateway…

[quote=“hitest”]
Sure, if a shiny rpm based distro is set-up properly anyone can use it, KDE looks just like windows…grandma would indeed love it:-)
Where Linux falls down is in hardware drivers. M$ beats the hell out of Linux in that department. Linux is getting better however, and more drivers are being written for cameras, printers, etc.
I think that Linux is gaining momentum, albeit very slowly. Ubuntu will be releasing version 6.06 in June, it is going to be an enterprise level OS.
:smiley:[/quote]

It was actually a stock gnome install thanks :wink: she had never used a computer before so the learning curve was the same as windows (ie. this is how i goto email this is how i goto the web, and of course this is how i use the mouse :laughing: )

The reason the linux learning curve is so high is because from elementry school on we are trained on windows machines/macs with a different UI

The drivers argument is bullshit :wink: linux supports most modern hardware, windows has nothing to do with the drivers that would be the hardware manufacturer’s deal (for the most part anyway). Also I have not had an issue with linux drivers since debian sarge was released (mind you i make sure my hardware has linux support).

I am sure if you were buying a piece of hardware for your windows desktop you would make sure the drivers are a) good (there are alot of problems with shit windows drivers) and b) are actually supported by your version.

Why cant you do the same for linux?

If you really want linux on the desktop you need to start getting them into schools and have people trained on them (especially children) rather than windows. Like I said though I do not care if that happens or not so long as development continues and I always have the tools i need.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]I use the Ubuntu Live a fair bit, but I run a half dozen redhat fedora servers, so I thought I should get more familiar with that flavor.
On a related note: I posted a dual gateway question ages ago and never solved it. So I called the ubergeek I know in PG and after 2 hours it was so fucked up neither one would work and he buggered off for lunch!
:confused:
At least I’d learned enuff since to restore the one gateway…[/quote]

What was the question regarding dual gateways? I actually manage alot of redhat servers as well however on the desktop I prefer ubuntu because its a little more polished. The gui/tools will be pretty much the same at least the ones you will be using to manage your server so it shouldnt make too much difference.

[quote=“jesus”]

The reason the linux learning curve is so high is because from elementry school on we are trained on windows machines/macs with a different UI

If you really want linux on the desktop you need to start getting them into schools and have people trained on them (especially children) rather than windows. Like I said though I do not care if that happens or not so long as development continues and I always have the tools i need.[/quote]

Agreed. That would be very good if kids start to be exposed to Linux in elementary school. I’ll work on that. Linux is starting to appear in high school classrooms which is very cool.
With regard to hardware and Linux, it really depends on how cutting edge your stuff is. Linux is getting better, but, it tends to do better with hardware that isn’t bleeding edge. That is never a problem for me as I do my homework and make sure my hardware will run Linux prior to an install. But, I’ll concede that Linux is thankfuly getting better at identifying hardware.
I ran sarge for a bit, it was very solid, stable. Right now I’m running Slackware 10.2 and Debian Etch. :smiley:

I dunno man, I learned BSD back in the 80s, and I have no problem with Linux.

You’ll find most people who use Macs these days are “unix-aware”.

But I agree that a lot of people think that “I know windows” = “I know computers”

It’s sad when I run across “professionals” who have no clue about other OSes. I immediately knock them down a notch in the knowledge hierarchy. It’s like – dude, if you’re supposed to be a computer technology expert, how can you not know about linux or unix or MacOS or that kind of thing?

Speaking of exposing kids to unix – we’re building a linux thin client server soon.