Video players not responding

I can’t seem to play any videos on my computer the last 2-3 days. No matter what program I try to use, they always freeze up and stop responding. I’ve tried double clicking the file to open the program, and also opening the program and then opening the file through it, but each time the same thing happens.

Any ideas?

My first response would be Codec. Which do you use, there seems to be lots of differant codecs out there now. I usually have trouble playing .mov files with windows media.

Have you ever defrag your RAM? That’s another good idea to do.
Have you installed anything lately relating to media? It could be something that affected your registry.

Thats’ from another FAQ Tech Forum.

Defrag your ram, thats a stupid idea.

Use system restore back to a date were it did work. It will fix it right away.

And MOV files got to be the worse format. I hate them so much. I wont download anything in a mov format just cause its stupid.

It’s not a codec thing… I’ve played the same files before and there was no problem.

I understand the system restore thing, but even if I go back to a different point, there’s still going to be a problem in there somewhere. I think I just need to format, but that’s a big pain in the ass.

MOV is quicktime. Playing them with anything else isn’t guaranteed to work.

yngwie_69 wrote:

Well pardon me for living dudette, that was just a suggestion to free up some RAM that could help the performance.

Don’t have a kitten. :imp:
A simple, “No, that’s not a good idea” Instead of FLIPPING OUT!!! :unamused:

Actually, I’ve yet to come across anything that VLC won’t play:

videolan.org/

[quote=“MiG”]Actually, I’ve yet to come across anything that VLC won’t play:

videolan.org/[/quote]

Oh good idea. Hopefully it’s dummy proof.

I was trying with BS Player, Sasami 2k, Winamp and Windows Media.

edit: yep it’s dummy proof so far… works great! Thanks MiG!

Wait, how does VideoLAN work?

It looks in the header of the video file, figures out what codec is reuired, accesses that codec over the Intertron?

videolan.org/vlc/features.html

It has support for those codecs already built in. No need to fetch them from the net.

l33t.

Well, I think I know the source of some of the problems I’ve been having lately. I just got a lovely message upon startup that told me to back up my C drive immediately because failure is imminant. Yay me!

Wow, your computer uses words like immediately and imminant! It has a great vocabulary! On the bright side, at least it gave you warning.

It used immediately in big, bold font and it was flashing at me! What a way to wake up.

Anyone have a smallish drive they want to sell me? Like 40GB or less??

Smartass, you might want to try the place across from Timmy’s. He might be open now. His opening data was supposed to be on Aug 15th.
Goodbytes Computer I thinks it’s called. I called a few months ago and they will be selling used computers for about 150 to 200 bucks. So ya might find a hd there. The number is…

622-8874

[quote=“Cowboy X”]Smartass, you might want to try the place across from Timmy’s. He might be open now. His opening data was supposed to be on Aug 15th.
Goodbytes Computer I thinks it’s called. I called a few months ago and they will be selling used computers for about 150 to 200 bucks. So ya might find a hd there. The number is…

622-8874[/quote]

Across from Timmy’s?? I walk by there all the time and I haven’t seen a new computer store there yet. I have seen the ad in the paper for a techie though… one of my friends told me I should apply, until I just laughed at them and told them I really know nothing about computers.

[quote=“Cowboy X”]Smartass, you might want to try the place across from Timmy’s. He might be open now. His opening data was supposed to be on Aug 15th.

622-8874[/quote]

If I didn’t have to wait on anyone else I would be open by now. But thanks for the plug. 8)

I’ll be bringing in used stuff from PG/Van/Kelowna. Nothing in right now except a lot of sawdust.

Smartass; PM’ed you some details.