Very good news indeed.......maybe

thenorthernview.com/news/168954866.html

This is great news…hopefully the city seriously considers transferring this service to the PRPA…taxpayers would LOVE a 7% tax savings.

good get this city subsidized ferry off our hands and with the profit the port generates and the little taxes it gives to the city, they can take it over to show they are good corporate citizens

While I’m not a fan of the existing ferry arrangement I don’t get why people think the city will get a bunch of cash, a huge savings and all is well.
The tax payer; perhaps.
The customers and businesses that rely on it; definately not.
The port is a for profit entity; they will either hold the city airport as hostage to get their pound of flesh or they are buying it for the land/shorefront (which raises the question; now what?).
Will this be the best way out for the city & the user groups?
I doubt it but who knows until its explored.
I’d be more interested if they were looking at off loading CityWest…

This is a great opportunity for the City and maybe for the port. Cash freed up for the city and increased control of commuter traffic in the Harbour for the port. Sounds like a win-win.

hahaha…this isnt aprils fools day…

why would a successful business such as the PRPA want to take over the airport ferry that runs a defecit of $790K per year.

makes me go…hmmmmm…

This could be good news for everybody, the Port and the tax payers and for the users of the airport.
I think the port is interested in creating an opportunity for freight to be shipped through our airport, which would need a major upgrade in the current infrastructure, our City has proven they are not capable, or maybe willing, to make this happen. A more regular and efficient ferry, could help bring in competition for our current Air travel providers and hopefully lower costs to the customers.

[quote=“chiefdave”]This could be good news for everybody, the Port and the tax payers and for the users of the airport.
I think the port is interested in creating an opportunity for freight to be shipped through our airport, which would need a major upgrade in the current infrastructure, our City has proven they are not capable, or maybe willing, to make this happen. A more regular and efficient ferry, could help bring in competition for our current Air travel providers and hopefully lower costs to the customers.[/quote]

This is precisely why I think the PRPA is interested…they clearly are financially motivated and have the means (ie: money) to turn the airport ferry service into something that will turn a profit, not continue to be a financial burden/drain.

The city does not have the capability or resources to increase the scope or potential of the ferry service to make it more profitable, this is why they should be actively trying to privatize or offload it to the PRPA.

Is there any truth to the rumour that the Port will be hiring David Hahn?