Ubuntu

Agreed.  I think the first service pack will be released later this year…so Vista will continue to suck for a long time.

Vista get’s worse, Ubuntu gets better…

In order to do the stupid DVD backup (no windows or driver disks) you need to initiate an Acer program and password it. Then burn a couple DVDs.
Or I reboot with my Hawke(Bart) CD and ghost to an external drive like Jason says.
But I want to play with it a while, there must be a simple fix for the annoying networking.

Explain the issue again ? Maybe i can help ? I helped before :smiley:

You setup most radios with their web interface, they come from the factory with a default IP, say 192.168.1.1 (like a router sets up)
You powerup the radio, plugged into one end of a POE module, your laptop into the other end.
Set the laptop to the same IP class 3, say 192.168.1.9 and open 192.168.1.1 in your browser, and login.
Vista shows “local access only” and will browser shows “page cannot be displayed”. 192.168.1.1 pings from CMD prompt just fine.
Plug into a router LAN port and open 192.168.1.1 (or 0.1) and you get the router login prompt. It works fine when the NIC gets a DHCP assignment.

POE power over Ethernet ? Are you talking Radiose to receive Internet connection ?

P.m me if you wish i used to support this alllllllll day long BOO HISSS!!

I have an old box running Apache at work. Tomorrow I will hook a crossover cable between the laptop and the NIC on the linux box, set the laptop to 192.168.0.2 and try to open 192.168.0.1 in a browser.
Becha I will be able to ping it but get “page can’t be displayed” with a browser.

check yer netbios settings on win box

Manually put your dns in too,

Jeez Vista’s useless. Where’s iMovie? Garage Band? For that matter The Gimp? ssh?
There’s nothing Premium here but some lame desktop. I’m surprised they left Wordpad in.
Some not ready for prime-time 3rd party software bundled with the system, but it’s not part of Vista.
How do you do anything with it? And every 30 seconds or so, there’s this little BLIP and the desktop shows thru your window for a split second like there was a power surge or something…
bleaaagghhh!!

Still no connection. Didn’t get to try the Xover thing yet, but Netbios and DNS don’t have anything to do with it. Not looking for a MS workgroup, nor a domain. Just port 80 on an IP address…

bring that damn thing over to me, ill fix it for you

lol  right on :smile:

Well I needed to use it, but I need to sell it already, mine is fixed.
So I put in a Ubuntu Live! CD, booted it and took it into the field. Set up 2 radios yesterday without a problem. Set the NIC to 192.168.1.9, opened Firefox with 192.168.1.1 and set the things.

Put it back on the display shelf with Vista running and in four minutes had a buyer checking it out. First thing he said was “Don’t you have anything in stock with XP? I heard Vista sux. Well I’m going to Future Shop tomorrow…”

I read on the Internet that Microsoft is going to be making it easy for businesses to downgrade from Vista to XP.  That is so weird. :smiley:
I’m going to give Fedora Core 7 a try, it has been a few years since I’ve run RH products.  FC4 was awesome.  Downloading 7 now.
Have you noticed any glitches with FC7, herbie?

I tried to install it on an old box, and failed cuz of insuffiecient RAM. Tried on a newer box and it failed cuz it couldn’t find the IDE driver of all things!
Gonna try again, I have 2 FC4 servers and I want an new one to backup my NAT box.

Thanks, herbie:-)
I just ran the Fedora 7 live CD on one of my old Debian Etch boxes ( a Plll 667 with 256 MB RAM) and it ran…but it was god damned slow.  Of course it was reading off the CD, but, it was painful.
I’ve got a P4 at work with 512 MB RAM that’ll run this better.  I’m gonna wait until Slackware 12.0 is relesed in the next few days and put that on my old Debian box.