UBCM brings term extension to the convention floor

The debate was vigorous and the voting too close to call, so the issue of extending municipal council terms from three years to four will have another day in the Whistler sun.

Delegates attending this years convention of municipal governance in Whistler we split by a margin of 24 votes when it came to offering up their thoughts on the issue, the 24 votes the margin against the extension.

(from the blog a town called podunk, click on the link below to see the entire item atowncalledpodunk.blogspot.com/2 … on-to.html)

God help us " Village People " with four years , three years of hidden agendas and one year to introduce a five year community plan .

I don’t mind the idea of a four year term if that’s what the electorate prefers, (though I doubt I’d be one to vote in favour of it) but I’m not sure that the Mayors and Councillors of the province should be the one deciding their own fate (and paycheques),

As mentioned in the blog item, I think that perhaps this one of those issues that the voters should have the final say on, after all we’re the ones that elect them as representatives, we should set the period of time that they serve between elections

Municipal election terms will remain at three years, delegates to the Union of B.C. Municipalities convention decided in a hotly contested vote Thursday.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 98259.html

[quote=“TheNorthernView”]Municipal election terms will remain at three years, delegates to the Union of B.C. Municipalities convention decided in a hotly contested vote Thursday.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 98259.html[/quote]

Well that’s nice to know, still don’t think that elected officials should be arbitrarily setting their own term of office without consultation of the voters.

Any breakdown on how the local council delegates to the convention voted on the issue, for or against?