TV Question

We have a very nice LARGE TV. Does anyone know if there might be away to install a piece of harware or something to NOT ALLOW video games on it?
I know that’s a wierd question but I do not want my money go to waste because someone plays there vid games on it and f’ks it up… 8)

Just don’t invite strangers over.

im only going to buy a new tv when it is an eighth of an inch thick, invincible, rollable, foldable, and could be patched together seamlessly with others’ screens. oh, and it has to run on a fuel cell that fuels up when i dunk it in the bath for cleaning.

technology should step the fuck up to the plate.

how is plugging a video game into a tv going to wreck it. ?

Dude, get that damn bag off your head. You’ve got over a thousand posts! Get yourself a freakin’ avatar!

um… No

[quote=“kingwolf13”]We have a very nice LARGE TV. Does anyone know if there might be away to install a piece of harware or something to NOT ALLOW video games on it?
I know that’s a wierd question but I do not want my money go to waste because someone plays there vid games on it and f’ks it up… 8)[/quote]

The input from video games are EXACTY the same as that which would come from a DVD player or Sat Receiver. Playing a video game would have no more damage to any standard TV than watching a cartoon.

And no, there is nothing to block just video games, because there’s no way to deduce the source of the signal or it’s type.

[quote=“alistair”]Playing a video game would have no more damage to any standard TV than watching a cartoon.
[/quote]

I think there’s a fear that playing the same video game over and over will cause burn-in, as some parts of the video game display won’t change. Pause your video game and go away for a long time, and it could cause damage. This was the same reason we had screen savers in the early days of computers and cheap CRTs.

Like leaving your TV on the TV guide channel for an extended period of time?

I’ve never actually witnessed a TV or monitor “burn-in”. Are they really problematic, or simply a thing of myth nowadays?

I remember when TechTV first fired up their new set in 2003. Their big plasma screen was shortly limited to displaying the ‘Screensavers’ logo, since it was burnt in so badly.

In my experience, I have only ever seen one CRT burn. It was a very old 15" SVGA NEC display. I beleive Ryan is the owener of it in this day and age. Ryan, if you havn’t noticed it… popup a white picture or background and look at the bottom and centre of the screen. There is a semi-burnt start menu and windows error window etched into the phosphorus.

Ive seen it on many monitors.

Ive got a Sun monitor connected to a E250 here. They are on 24/7 and the monitor has a very, very slight burn at the bottom from the tool bar. But have set it up when I first noticed the beginnings of the burn to blank the screen after 30 mins. Kind of suprising acutally that it would do that.

In fact my monitor here right now has a slight burn. Its the NT logo that is sometimes seen behind the ctrl-alt-del box that bounces around the screen. Its an IBM branded 17". Probably about 4+ yrs old.

And Ive seen many old amber and green screens with major burns that sat displaying the same order entry screens for years.

So yes it does happen to a certain degree. Does this happen on LCD screens?

LCDs no, Plasma screens yes.

Most of those big TVs are actually plasma ones, and they do experience burn-in.

All the same, I set my LCDs to turn off after 15 minutes, since I want the backlight to last as long as possible.

Does the backlight burn out easily? I am using a Philips LCD right now and I leave it on all day, its only off for 9 or so hours while at night.

it would be best to turn it off… the part that burns out is the back light not the lcd…

[quote=“Eso”]Like leaving your TV on the TV guide channel for an extended period of time?

I’ve never actually witnessed a TV or monitor “burn-in”. Are they really problematic, or simply a thing of myth nowadays?[/quote]

Send me $40 for the Loomis and I’ll send you one

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]

[quote=“Eso”]Like leaving your TV on the TV guide channel for an extended period of time?

I’ve never actually witnessed a TV or monitor “burn-in”. Are they really problematic, or simply a thing of myth nowadays?[/quote]

Send me $40 for the Loomis and I’ll send you one[/quote]

How old is said device?

Proview 17" monitor that was used in the sawmill less than 2 years. My kid’s used it for a couple years, cuz you only notice the burn in when the screen goes blank.
ATM monitors are great too. They upgraded the software, but you can still see the burn-in of the old selections!