Try Safari for Windows?

I’ve been getting pretty frustrated with Firefox lately (memory leaks or something, every now and then machine will grind to a crawl, look at the task manager, and Firefox is gobbling up like 400mb), so I gave Safari a try.

Seems pretty nice, unfortunately there are a couple of Firefox shortcuts that I’ve grown dependent on that I can’t really live without.

In Safari, I can middle-click on a link to open it in a new tab, but I cannot do the same with a quicklink/bookmark on my navigation bar. Also, I cannot middle-click to close a tab. It’s a shame, but those are absolutely deal breakers for me.

I’m currently trolling through the nether realms of Apple vs. Mozilla fandom, hoping that there is a mod or plugin that will let me accomplish this.

Yeah, FF is a real memory hog.  Have you ever considered Opera? It is a very fast, tabbed browser with good functionality.

http://www.opera.com/

I installed Safari on a brand new VHP machine 3 weeks back, and it’s great. Now I have my old  laptop with Vista upgrade on it back so I downloaded the latest Safari and WHACK…
Stick to FF on here, rarely had any problems.
ps: I’m WAY  more prone to forgive software - I used to run an Amiga. Talk about unstable…

So when you got your repaired Vista laptop back Safari is till buggy!  This may indeed be a bug with Safari beta for Windows.  Yes, FF is my browser of choice as well. :smiley:

Edit:  added later- it will be cool if Apple one day releases Safari for Linux. :sunglasses:

The Safari engine is based on Konqueror’s isn’t it?
I am alo still waiting for that 64 bit Flash driver… Have an Ubuntu server I use to manage all the others w/o guis and I figured at the time I might as well use a 64bit OS on an X2 processor. Can’t do speedtests and a couple other things w/o Flash

Good question.  I don’t know the answer to that one. :smiley:
When I went to the safari download page I saw safari versions for Windows and Mac, but no generic versions for Linux:

http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

Is there a Linux version of safari? :confused:

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]
The Safari engine is based on Konqueror’s isn’t it?[/quote]

From the first page of this thread!!

[quote=“MiG”]
If you use Konqueror on Linux (with KDE), it’s basically the same as Safari – same renderer, anyway.[/quote]

Yeah, I have the same beef when I try to run flash on FreeBSD 6.2…it doesn’t @#*&ing work.
To make it work I compile a Linux version of opera and a linux version of flash, then it works.  I might be able to make flash run natively on BSD, but I haven’t figured it out yet. :smiley: