Tree Planting Advice

I’ve worn caulks. A light caulk is still heavy in comparison to a light hiker. It is said by lightweight backpackers, that each pound on your foot is the equivalent of five on your back. I don’t know how big this guy is, but at 170, I wouldn’t want to carry around that much extra weight for no reason.

Caulks are inconvenient.

Caulks are for brushsaw operators and people who run chainsaws. I’ve done both, in the snow and rain, without caulks, and can’t quite figure why a planter would need spikes on the bottom of his boots.

[quote=“molten universe”]
light, tough clothes? polypropylene. its going to stink though…[/quote]

I might not get polypro this season, at least not until the tree planting part is over and all the pussies have vanished. That stuff has an unnatural stench to it. I mean, it utterly reeks like nothing else can.

How much free time does one usually have in a day? Anyone ever get bored?

That’s very reassuring, but at the same time, it’s not, haha.

I’ve seen a bear just sit in the same spot after a bear banger went off right next to him. We had a few problems. Bears raided the food tent, prowled between our tents at night keeping people awake, and ended up being shot.

I’ve read about a few instances of bearspray failing. There was a story, in a very old reader’s digest, about two girls that were attacked by a bear while hiking. The spray didn’t help them.

One of the guys that ran his own crew found a discarded bearspray last season and sprayed it inside of his truck. His workers were all choking, with their heads out of the windows, as he drove off the block.

for gloves you should buy a piar of macanics gloves from northern tire. they fit, well like gloves.

I was wrong, apparently caulks are good for screefing. Treeplanting licks nuts anyways, who wants to kick holes in the ground all day?

I once coached a girls softball team and that’s ALL they ever wanted to do.

[quote=“TranscendingRationality”]Yeah, we’re living in a tent camp.

I think I am going to pick up a headlamp though. And I’m definitely going to be looking for light, tough, clothes that will keep me warm if I am wet. And I’m going to buy a synthetic sleeping bag rated to minus 15 that will hopefully keep me mostly warm even if it is wet. I’ve got the impression that there’s a good chance your clothes and sleeping bag will end up being wet fairly often.[/quote]

All but the first makes sense. Think about it: you are working outside during the two sunniest months of the year Any where but the coast is mostly dry at this time of year). It’ll be daylight long past the time you get back to camp and long before you get up. ALSO, by the time you get back to camp, get cleaned up, eat and take care of any other business like laundry or whatever, you are going to be way too tired to sit around and flick on your lamp.

but for $60 get a bitchin petzl light that will come in handy. i find myself going out of my way to rock it out at night on ezpeditions. gadgets are fun.

I like the following tip: Don’t get high, you’ll plant in circles.