Tree Planting Advice

Well, I just recently got hired on for the summer tree planting. So in a few weeks I’ll be leaving to do that. I was wondering if anyone has some first hand experience with this and can offer me some hints, tips, or just general advice to make my experience nicer, or increase my productivity?

Just by browsing the internet I’ve come across a bit of fairly good information. Mostly what I’m looking for is advice when it comes to the actual planting. So I can plant the most trees with the least effort while doing a good job.

Thanks!

Wear good boots.

[quote=“TranscendingRationality”]some first hand experience with this and can offer me some hints, tips, or just general advice to make my experience nicer, or increase my productivity?

Just by browsing the internet I’ve come across a bit of fairly good information. Mostly what I’m looking for is advice when it comes to the actual planting. So I can plant the most trees with the least effort while doing a good job.

Thanks![/quote]

1. It’s better to work for a company that provides a cook than a low budget one where you cook your own food.
  2. Carry snack food with you so you have energy all day.
  3. Get some good, tight fitting leather gloves, like heavy duty driving gloves, not yard work gloves. Snot gloves are good too.
  4. TAKE CARE OF YOUR FEET AT ALL TIMES. Dry your feet and wear flip flops or light shoes back at camp, change your socks after work, and invest in some “second skin” or tape.
  5. Bring an mp3 or cd player to keep yourself in a groove all day.
  6. GO HARDCORE - you only have two months to make money.
  7. DON’T BLOW YOUR PAYCHEQUE ON BOOZE AND DRUGS WHEN YOU GO TO TOWN.

good luck - you’ll see some amazing sights, maybe pack a small camera too.

Thanks!

The company we’re going with provides a cook, so that’s good.

I’m somewhat worried about feet and boots. Should I get chaulks or just some good hiking boots? Or both?

Hey, my roomie used to have a little pup tent to put beside his main sleep tent to put his dirty clothes and boots so they don’t stink up the place and still stay dry.

An option might be to get a little propane heater/stove setup to warm you up when it’s cold and rainy.

Don’t take a cd player unless you know you’ll be able to have 10 hours of continual use. Nothing more agrivating than running out of tunes in the middle of a piece. The iriver has a 40 hour per AA unit that’ll fit 512 meg of tunage.

Don’t hang out with people who are bitching. It’ll only kill your desire to be there.

Good luck.

s.

I’d have to say get some chaulks. I know they helped me when I was planting trees 3 years ago.

Why would you use caulks for planting? Those are for running chainsaws and they’re heavy.

Which company are you working for? Where are you planting?

As far as boots go, I’d go with some light hiking boots and gators. Break in those boots ASAP. If you’re a klutz, you’ll want to make sure your boots have proper ankle support, which will mean a heavier boot. I wore double socks, one of which was a polypropylene layer near the skin to wick away moisture. I think it was a pretty good setup, never had a blister. There was a guy in my truck that had terrible blisters, I lent him a pair of my sock liners, and he said they helped.

Athlete’s foot isn’t a big deal, but wear your flip flops in the shower.

Sprinkle salt on your food to keep sodium levels up. Drinking so much water has the effect of diluting your blood.

If you enjoy cold water, I’d invest in a four litre insulated water jug that you can put in the truck. From my experience, there was occassional fuckups with the water supply, but I always had water to drink and offer the guys in my truck. There’s also the option of carrying around an insulated water bottle with you. If you don’t, your water will often be warm as piss, but some guys don’t care. If you’re going uninsulated, Nalgene water bottles are the best. You can put juice in them and they won’t retain the taste, and they don’t break. Forget hydration packs, they are useless, fragile, and expensive.

For wet days, polypropylene is the shit. There’s no way to stay completely dry, even in a rubber suit, you’ll end up sweating your balls off and being soaked anyways. Polypro will keep you warm when you’re wet. I wore polypro to sleep when our drytent first ran out of propane and was later blown away by a storm. I was wet, but I could sleep.

Cotton keeps moisture near the skin and cools you down. Polyester wicks moisture away and keeps you warm. Soccer shirts from a thrift store are a good place to find cheap polyester.

If you’re not sure if you can hack it or not, consider putting off your purchases until later unless they are absolutely essential. Examples: music players, expensive rain suit

They’ll probably talk about maintaining a positive attitude and keeping moral up. It’s not just about that. Everybody hates the complainers.

If you plant naked, watch out for devil’s club.

Planting for Silveram throught B.C.

Good advice with the clothes, I’ll make sure to stock up on some polypropylene clothes/socks.

I’ve got a pair of chaulk boots, Orange Crushers I think they’re called in the industry. I’m going to bring those along just in case we get into some really wet, shitty terrain. But hopefully I’ll be able to manage with just a nice pair of light hikers.

I’m fairly sure it’ll be shitty, but I’m also pretty stoked on going out and making some money and having some good experiences.

Bama socks are good liners for caulk boots.

In one of the logging camps I stayed at, there was a buncha tree planter photos in the rec room. One of the pictures was a close-up of a tree planter’s nutsack with a happy face drawn on it. Tree planters are filthy and weird people.

Also, if you’ve never been in a gangbang shower, you might want to go down to the Earl Mah aquatic centre and get some practice.

I used to luv planting trees. Advice, take a knife…watch were you shit…and take tissue… :smile:

Nothing like washing your genitals with your swim shorts still on!

Also, tree planters seem to attract hungry bears.

That’s why I’m going to sharpen my shovel!

Seriously though, I don’t have much choice if a bear wants to turn me into a snack. I’m just going to pretend like bears don’t exist.

Hey, all great advice, but I want to jump in on the bear thing here.

I am scared shitless of grizzlies, especially after my one and only encounter.

Is this a rational fear? I’m not afraid of black bears at all, but man, the grizzly really scares me.

When I was little I was scared of bears… but that seems to have faded with age and time in the wilderness. Just make sure you can run faster than whoevr you are with oh and bring someone you dont really like.

Actually, bears will tend to leave the slow ones and go for a faster prey, they would be more nutritious.

We used to bring firecrackers when I was a Boy Scout. Bears are terrified of firecrackers. But firecrackers are dangerous. Grizzlies are not.

But then, like MiG I got tracked for about 2 kms by a grizzly once. It wasn’t a comfortable experience, even though it stayed about 50 yds away and never ventured closer, just kept following me. I learned how to power walk without appearing scared. Not fun at all…

Hmmm, bears. Meh.