Traffic cops haging out at 6th and Mc Bride

he likes to give out tickets for newly expired insurance as well so check your insurance papers… :smile:

[quote=“PLA”]

[quote=“stinkyfeet”]WARNING!!
to all you speeders there has been a Traffic Cop sitting at the stop sign at 6th and Mcbride right across the RCMP/library he has been there for the last two days (i guess when he is on shift) sitting, waiting, eating his dohnuts wishing he had friends and a real job :smile: [/quote]

The last time I was in Rupert, he was there every weekend. I thought he’s checking for stop sign violations.

Anyway, good on the cop.

Ummm… isn’t this the purpose of the Integrated Road Safety Unit? =.=[/quote]

Ya but hes a real douch about it!
He thinks he’s a real cop… but what he doesnt know that traffic cops are put there on traffic because he cant do the job of a real police officer.

[quote=“stinkyfeet”]

He thinks he’s a real cop… but what he doesnt know that traffic cops are put there on traffic because he cant do the job of a real police officer.[/quote]

Isn’t it wonderful we have another member in our society who has their Master’s degree in criminal justice from the University of Television.

[quote=“stinkyfeet”]Ya but hes a real douch about it!
He thinks he’s a real cop… but what he doesnt know that traffic cops are put there on traffic because he cant do the job of a real police officer.[/quote]

Odd. I never get caught by this guy whenever he’s around and not busy writing a ticket. I usually drive 50km/h ± 5 km/h on those stretches even when he’s around, but Rupert being Rupert, I don’t think driving 60 and over is a good idea (ie. jaywalkers, small city, kamikaze drivers, ZDX).

Anyway. If you don’t want to get caught, at least don’t drive like a psycho. How many times I had people tail gating me when they wanted to drive 50 in the school zone?

*[size=80]Edited for kamikaze drivers[/size]

[quote=“Dex”]

[quote=“stinkyfeet”]

Isn’t it wonderful we have another member in our society who has their Master’s degree in criminal justice from the University of Television.[/quote]

Sorry Dex i dont watch Television didnt you know its bad for your health?

Just as the internet…

I don’t know about this particular officer, but it’s been well established here on HTMF that in the past:

• Prince Rupert RCMP wrote a disproportionate number of tickets compared to other locations (ie: Terrace).

• Prince Rupert RCMP had a number of officers that were funded by ticket revenue, while other locations (ie: Terrace) use the ticket revenue for other projects (community policing, crime prevention). Hence the incentive to write more tickets in Rupert.

• Prince Rupert RCMP would “stretch” the definitions of certain offences to write more tickets. ie: you had to stop for a certain amount of time at a stop sign, or you’d get a ticket. Or you’d be given a ticket for failing to signal, even when there was no traffic. Most people wouldn’t fight these bogus tickets that the officers felt free to write as many of them as they could.

• There was no doubt in my mine that Prince Rupert RCMP were told (either by the City or by their leadership) to write as many tickets as possible to generate revenue.

• Prince Rupert RCMP once wrote a ticket to a guy who was rushing to the hospital because his wife was in labour. Thanks to that particular officer, the man missed the birth of his child by a few minutes.

• Prince Rupert RCMP, on multiple occasions, used multiple undercover officers with radios to “stake out” a stop sign, and gave anyone who didn’t stop for a certain length of time a ticket.

• Prince Rupert RCMP essentially ignored a downtown broken window streak, while manning the 2nd-Avenue Stop Sign Toll Booth almost around the clock.

That was in the past, though. I don’t know about the present situation. Let’s hope it’s not the same now.

I don’t think anybody has a problem with writing tickets for speeding, but in the past, it was just writing tickets for the sake of writing tickets. And putting a lot of resources and effort into writing bogus tickets.

Here’s an HTMF thread on the topic from 2008: RCMP ticket on the way to the hospital

And: Daily News article on the officer writing a ticket to the guy taking his wife in labour to the hospital: tinyurl.com/princerupertrcmplovetickets

I’m sure there were other threads, though, with the actual ticket revenue posted, etc.

Very well put MIG thank you :smile:… to let you know, nothings changed!

The irony is the traffic cop who gives out the most tickets also owns (or at least used to) a crotch rocket (Buell I believe) and a BMW roadster but I’m sure he never speeds or breaks any traffic laws. If he did I’m sure he was fined appropriately and paid his fines.

Really… nothing? Mig did put it very well. At least he takes the time to post facts. All you post is venom.

[quote=“MiG”]I don’t know about this particular officer, but it’s been well established here on HTMF that in the past:

• Prince Rupert RCMP wrote a disproportionate number of tickets compared to other locations (ie: Terrace).

• Prince Rupert RCMP had a number of officers that were funded by ticket revenue, while other locations (ie: Terrace) use the ticket revenue for other projects (community policing, crime prevention). Hence the incentive to write more tickets in Rupert.[/quote]

There doesn’t appear to be an abundance of Police Officers in Rupert, so it seems to me this added revenue is going to a good cause.

BC Motor Vehicle Act:

Definitions

119 (1) In this Part:

“stop” or “stand” means,

(a) when required, a complete cessation from movement, and

(b) when prohibited, the stopping or standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or to comply with the directions of a peace officer or traffic control device;

What is there to stretch? They either came to a complete cessation from movement or they did not. If the officer wrote something on the ticket about not stopping for a “certain amount of time”, you wouldn’t even get a court date if you fought it. And if you don’t use your signals because you thought there was " no traffic around" then you deserve a ticket!! The BC Motor Vehicle Act does not become automatically amended when there is no traffic on the roads. Not to mention there WAS traffic on the road or they would not have received a ticket!!! If you did not commit the traffic offense and did not attempt to fight it…complain?

Which apparently gave us more Police Officers. Listening to the police scanner from this town it sounds like they need them.

If the man was speeding it was a good thing he was stopped. His situation likely impaired his driving ability and could have been a danger to himself and/or others by speeding to the hospital. I’ll leave that judgement call to the officer. You wouldn’t accept that defense if he ran over someone would you?

I would really like to see what the Officers wrote on these tickets. Anyone have any copies left?

I don’t have a problem with the police writing tickets for any Motor Vehicle Act violations. I do get amused by people who receive these bogus (?) tickets yet do nothing about it though.

[quote=“MiG”]
Here’s an HTMF thread on the topic from 2008: RCMP ticket on the way to the hospital

And: Daily News article on the officer writing a ticket to the guy taking his wife in labour to the hospital: tinyurl.com/princerupertrcmplovetickets

I’m sure there were other threads, though, with the actual ticket revenue posted, etc.[/quote]

I should read the 2008 thread to get a better picture of what happened in the past and more details. At any rate many cities in BC and across Canada use Motor vehicle tickets to generate revenue. The trick is to obey the rules of the road. It is not hard to do. If you believe the ticket is bogus, fight it.

There’s always at least one nutter, in every thread. Usually it’s me…

I’m curious, we always talk about speeders. But what about people who drive way below the speed limit, like, twenty to thirty k in a 50 zone. They always seem to be older people. I don’t mean to be an ageist here, but driving slower than the speed limit often causes road rage. Why aren’t people like that ticketed, just as much as people driving fast? Or, slowing down to a crawl, before a corner, or on a highway, without putting a turn signal on.

Don’t get me wrong, I do follow speed limits, and traffic laws. But I’ve often thought that people should be re tested when they reach retirement age. Because we don’t know how well their brain is reacting to things anymore. Or if dementia is starting to set in, or something like that. I’d like to hear other people’s thoughts on that. And if you do reply, please try to be serious, and objective.

When my father was a little over 70, he got lost driving from Vancouver into Surrey to visit a friend who had just moved. He never found the house, despite spending his entire life living in Vancouver and knowing the Lower Mainland like the back of his hand.

I am not sure if there were similar events before that, (signs of dementia were obvious a few years later) but the next day he sold his car.

I hope I am as wise as my dad when it becomes time to give up driving.

Sure, I don’t think that was the issue. It was that there seemed to be a real, and measurable push to increase the revenue. And at least some of it was with “bogus” tickets. This included the use of undercover officers and the constant manning of the “Stop Sign Toll Booth.”

At a time when Prince Rupert was seeing a lot of different “crime waves,” the local Mounties seemed to be putting a heck of a lot of effort into catching people who stopped for 2 seconds at a stop sign instead of 5 seconds, for example.

The officer would say that you “didn’t stop for 5 seconds.” Most people didn’t question it, and I doubt anybody fought it.

We went over this a couple of times in 2008 :smile: The MVA states that you must use your signals when your turn will have an effect on traffic. A parked police car does not count as traffic. If there’s no traffic, you don’t need to signal, according to the MVA.

Again, the trick was to park a police car, usually hidden, and see if anybody signalled going through that yield sign. I’ll bet you can go there right now and watch traffic to see if anybody signals with traffic. I doubt they do, since there’s really only one thing you can do when you’re there – turn right. But anyway, it’s not an offence unless there is traffic.

Again, that wasn’t the problem. It was the bogus tickets.

I said in the other thread that the undercover stakeout of the stop sign was essentially a shake down. The drivers weren’t doing anything illegal. They were stopping, just not for 5 seconds. Every single one received a ticket.

That’s just not right.

[quote]
If the man was speeding it was a good thing he was stopped. His situation likely impaired his driving ability and could have been a danger to himself and/or others by speeding to the hospital. I’ll leave that judgement call to the officer. You wouldn’t accept that defense if he ran over someone would you? [/quote]

Read the other thread. He wasn’t speeding. He failed to signal. I don’t know if it was a case of a bogus ticket or not (ie: was there traffic).

The detachment was so embarrassed by the guy that they publicly withdrew the ticket.

Mainly because they don’t know they’re bogus. The “5 second rule” being the prime example. In 2007-2008, that became the local meme – “better stop for 5 seconds or you’re going to get a ticket!”

The usual reaction was “oh, I didn’t realize the law said you had to wait 5 seconds.” And then you’d be reminded that you’d get a break on the fine if you paid it right away.

[quote=“MiG”]
I should read the 2008 thread to get a better picture of what happened in the past and more details. At any rate many cities in BC and across Canada use Motor vehicle tickets to generate revenue. The trick is to obey the rules of the road. It is not hard to do. If you believe the ticket is bogus, fight it.[/quote]

Yes, I agree.

But I do have a problem when writing bogus tickets seems to become policy. Again, this was in the past, I have no idea about the present. There’s a thread on HTMF with the actual numbers.

[quote=“CrazyMike”]

Really… nothing? Mig did put it very well. At least he takes the time to post facts. All you post is venom.[/quote]

Mmmmmmmmm Venom!

How did this become public? If nobody questioned it and nobody fought it, I find it hard to accept it was some large conspiracy by the Local RCMP to lie to motorists about the Motor Vehicle Act. Driving around this city shows me that those tactics are not necessary; there certainly is enough real traffic violations by motorists. I am skeptical…but open to the possibility.

I stand corrected, I was mistaking the Highway Traffic Act of Ontario; i didn’t look up the MVA section. At one time I was very well versed in the HTA because the local police were giving me bogus tickets consecutively. Reason? A Sergeant @ the local Police department parked his off duty vehicle in my parking spot at our gated condo. Condo security would not let me park anywhere else, not even visitors (or even in the officers now empty spot) so they phoned the tow truck and had his car towed. It appeared he was upset by this. I would be stopped, whole vehicle searched, and given a bogus ticket at least a couple times a week for several months. What an experience.

Another reason we should always use our signals. Although, how can you be sure there wasn’t traffic at the time. Why would the Officers have to ticket people when there allegedly was no traffic, when nobody signals when there is traffic anyway ( as you stated) ? I am not convinced yet though that a “standing” police (emergency) vehicle precludes it from being traffic. But will research it further. if you have something to add though please do.

If they were telling motorists that it is not right. There is a way to appeal the ticket. Personally I am more concerned people will not research their rights and the laws when they are accused of violating them. I would think red flags would come up from any motorist hearing that 5 seconds are required; maybe this is why I find it hard to believe.

[quote=“MiG”]

It is amazing what a negative media article can do.

[quote=“MiG”]

Mainly because they don’t know they’re bogus. The “5 second rule” being the prime example. In 2007-2008, that became the local meme – “better stop for 5 seconds or you’re going to get a ticket!”

The usual reaction was “oh, I didn’t realize the law said you had to wait 5 seconds.” And then you’d be reminded that you’d get a break on the fine if you paid it right away.

[quote=“MiG”]
I should read the 2008 thread to get a better picture of what happened in the past and more details. At any rate many cities in BC and across Canada use Motor vehicle tickets to generate revenue. The trick is to obey the rules of the road. It is not hard to do. If you believe the ticket is bogus, fight it.[/quote]

Yes, I agree.

But I do have a problem when writing bogus tickets seems to become policy. Again, this was in the past, I have no idea about the present. There’s a thread on HTMF with the actual numbers.[/quote]

Well the real problem, IMO, is people not knowing their rights. This could have easily and expeditiously been rectified if everyone appealed the ticket stating on a letter that the officer said 5 seconds were required. I am positive the Provincial courts would have dropped the tickets and spoken to the RCMP.
icbc.com/driver-licensing/ti … ing-ticket

People who I’ve known who have gotten tickets for that sort of thing. Often don’t think it’s worth fighting, simply “because it’s the officers word against theirs. Who’s the court going to side with?” Or they figure if they dispute it, they’ll be picked on by the local police.

Have to LOVE the tailgaters in this town ! Especially the ones with their high-beam halogen head-lights needing that extra 10 seconds to get nowhere ! Makes you want to brake suddenly and see what happens to their fancy lights then !! LOL

I don’t think anybody said it was a large conspiracy. Just that it seemed the RCMP were putting a lot of resources and effort (including undercover officers) to give people tickets for stopping “for just a second or two” at a stop sign, instead of 5 seconds.

Again, this was on HTMF years ago. I witnessed two of these undercover set ups myself, and HTMF members received tickets, and were told that they needed to stop for 5 seconds at a stop sign.

If it had happened to me, you’d have a nice youtube video to watch :smile:

A parked car 100 meters away does not constitute traffic. The right turn onto McBride in front of McDonalds has a turning lane with a yield sign. If you are in that turn lane, there’s only one thing you can do, turn right. Most people never signal, other than the brake signal. If there’s no traffic, you are not legally obliged to signal. Even if there is traffic, you are only obliged to signal if traffic would be affected by your turn. Someone heading towards highway 16 while you’re turning right onto McBride would not be, so you don’t need to signal.

“If traffic may be affected by turning a vehicle, a person must not turn it without giving the appropriate signal under sections 171 and 172.”

The cop would sit up the road, usually hidden, waiting for people to come through then give them a ticket. Why? Because he could, and people wouldn’t fight it. I know this happened to another prominent HTMF member. I think it’s someone you know well, Dex.

Didn’t happen to me, but happened to members of HTMF. Read through the old threads and you’ll read their accounts of the incidents.

Sure, people should know their rights. But don’t you think the RCMP shouldn’t be doing it in the first place?

Or, as was expressed back then, the RCMP seemed to be putting a heck of a lot of effort into fighting the dreaded crime of only stopping for 2 or 3 seconds at a stop sign, while they seemed to be ignoring the other crime in town. For example, were there undercover officers assigned to fight the downtown window breaking streak?