Toshiba sucks!

Well, some of you may or may not know about the drama last year with my wonderful toshiba laptop so I will fill you in.

I sent it in for warranty work because the lcd was whacky, and the fan was toast. About a month in i was wondering what the hell was going on with my laptop so I called them and found out oh well apparently my motherboard was broken and i had to pay 600 dollars (nice of them to inform me instead of leaving it sitting there for a month).

The computer would no longer boot because the motherboard was broken (physically broken how the hell you do that I dont know) when I had returned it for warranty work I made sure to see the sales guys saw it booted for this very reason :wink:

3 months of fighting later I finally got the store i purchased it from to pay for the repairs because it was working when it left my hands. Finally i get my laptop back and the lcd had been fixed however the fan had not been replaced. Since then my fan has gotten to the point where it simply clicks everytime it comes on rendering my laptop useless.

Here is the wonderful thing about toshiba laptops, you cannot buy parts from any retail store in canada.

when you call toshiba they will kindly inform you that you can take it to one of their “quality authorized stealers” and have them work on it. No thanks I would rather not go 3 months without my laptop only to have it come back in even worse shape. The only alternative is buying the parts from this company:

ccsiweb.ca

Who apparently has one employee that doesnt answer their phone.

this leads me to my warning to other consumers out there NEVER EVER EVER buy a toshiba laptop.

Update:

I started calling this place at 8am it is now 9:20am I got the fan ordered and it should be here in 4-5 days. The cost of the fan is just nuts 50 bucks give or take a few this wonderful company cant give me an exact quote with shipping… I have this funny feeling my credit card is going to be abused.

Sounds like a frickin’ nightmare!

Toshiba does make good TVs, though. I have a big flatscreen and it’s got a great picture. It’s warrantied for a year longer than Sony Wega too - although, after reading your story, I hope I don’t have to use the warranty!

Toshiba makes really nice laptops if you take care of them they will last long time. Your fan probably died because you never cleaned it out… OR the fan never stopped because you didn’t keep it well ventilated. i have worked on many laptop’s basically all major brands.

My Toshiba T-1200 still runs.

Feel free to blame me, the fan was having problems 1 month into owning the laptop. My laptop was either on the kitchen table or my desk so if a hard surface isnt enough room to breath then its a design issue not an abuse issue. Oh and I cleaned my fan every 2 weeks as needed due to the shitty cooling system in this laptop.

Just because you work on shit doesnt mean you know what you are doing or how the laptop was treated. Besides which this thread isnt about how my laptop was treated it is about how toshiba is a shitty company with shitty service and overpriced parts and how I have to pay a premium to have technicians like yourself not touch my laptop ever again.

Steve, if your toshiba laptop is still working count your blessings because when it dies you are in for a bill.

sounds like my old asus laptop. the mobo failed after 18 mos (no warranty) then failed again a year later. couldn’t even get a battery 7months after i bought it. Supercom told me deal with asus, asus told me they only dealt thru supercom. Didn’t see a gong show like that again unitl I tried to RMA a Viewsonic LCD!
So I use a Toshiba now on reommendation, but after bad experiences selling Acer, repairing far too many HPs and Comcraps, I got it from Future Shop with a 3 year warranty (extra). Had it since May, so far so good. Know of a couple others w/o problems.
Sure sounds like the courier dropped yours. They’re WAY too good at doing that and delivering boxes with holes punched in them. Had SoonRolator bring in a few LCDs I refused delivery of…

Our policy at work (auto parts) was to mark on every single waybill from any carrier that the box was damaged, regardless of if it was or not.

OMG there’s a scratch on this driveshaft!

… Mrs. Robinson, are you coming on to me?

My Toshiba is bulletproof… literally. Like, I bet you it would probably stop a bullet. Weighs like 30 lbs though.

Edit: Hmm. The apparent deletion of the preceding post sure ruins the context of this one.

Do you have some sort of fetish for computer torture?

My iSkin Evo3 arrived yesterday. Not only is it sexy, but it prevents damage from such violent acts.

Toshiba settles class action lawsuit:

yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/01/06/0725250

Toshiba Settles Class Action Suit
Posted by CowboyNeal on Friday January 06, @07:54AM
from the making-amends dept.
sidney writes “I was happy to receive an email January 5 informing of a class action settlement that could get me up to $1000 back on my Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 Notebook. This follows an announcement last month that the court granted preliminary approval of settlement. The email looks like a phishing attempt, but whois says the website’s domain is owned by Garden City Group who are well known for administering class action settlements. After going through four hard disks, motherboards, power supply daughterboards, and VGA cards in eight repairs during the three-year extended warranty of this piece of junk I’m more than happy to send it back to Toshiba in exchange for a down payment on a new **Mac.” **[size=18][/size]

[quote=“jleaman”]Toshiba Settles Class Action Suit
Posted by CowboyNeal on Friday January 06, @07:54AM
from the making-amends dept.
sidney writes “I was happy to receive an email January 5 informing of a class action settlement that could get me up to $1000 back on my Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 Notebook. This follows an announcement last month that the court granted preliminary approval of settlement. The email looks like a phishing attempt, but whois says the website’s domain is owned by Garden City Group who are well known for administering class action settlements. After going through four hard disks, motherboards, power supply daughterboards, and VGA cards in eight repairs during the three-year extended warranty of this piece of junk I’m more than happy to send it back to Toshiba in exchange for a down payment on a new **Mac.” **[size=18][/size][/quote]

:laughing: WOW some unimportant unknown guy is going to buy a mac that means they are good…

Not a knock on mac’s :wink: just your logic.

Well, this is wonderful news I was right the company toshiba referred me to did try to scam me. they charged me 100 dollars instead of 50.00 Thankfully my credit card company is taking care of this for me.