Tim Hortons

So the questions were:
Was Tim Horton a hockey player?
and
Did Tim Horton die in a car accident.

I went to all three late night tim hortons and everyone I asked had to double check to make sure he was a hockey player. None of them knew if he had died in a car accident or how he had died. One guy made it sound like Timmy was still alive. Another said that he didn’t pay attention to the video that was shown and that they didn’t ask that on the test.

There are more Timmys open during the day so my quest will continue. I’ll keep you all updated.

It’s kinda hard to miss the picture of him playing hockey when it’s right out in the open on the wall.

Most Tim Hortons employees are worse than Zellers employees… in the smarts department that is.

I enjoy filling out the Tim’s Survey cards they have been giving out here for a week… I’ve been giving them feedback on all the wonderful hygeine, attitude, and aptitude problems the Rupert Timmies employees have.

From the Tim Horton’s website I found the following. I think it answers all your question plus some.

"Tim Horton (1930 - 1974)
Founder

Tim Horton was born in Cochrane, Ontario on January 12, 1930. He was signed by the Toronto Maple Leafs in 1949 and performed as one of the steadiest defencemen on the blueline throughout his 22 years in the National Hockey League. He played in 1,446 regular season games, scoring 115 goals, 403 assists for a total of 518 points.

He played 17 full seasons and 3 partial seasons for the Toronto Maple Leafs. He served a short stint with the New York Rangers before being traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins. His final years in hockey were with the Buffalo Sabres, where he played a major role in developing the team’s younger players. He was travelling back to Buffalo from a game in Toronto when he was killed in an automobile accident on February 21, 1974. The Buffalo Sabres retired his Number 2 Sabres sweater as a tribute to his memory.

Tim Horton played on four Stanley Cup teams, was an All-Star player six times, and won the Bicknell Cup as the Most Valuable Player in 1968-69. George Armstrong says of Tim, “No finer person, teammate or hockey player ever lived.” In Bobby Hull’s words, “Few players brought more dedication or honour to the game. He was my idea of a pro.”

One of the most heartfelt tributes came from Punch Imlach, then of the Buffalo Sabres. Tim played for Imlach in Toronto during the glory years of the 1960s, and when Buffalo had a chance to pick him up, Imlach didn’t hesitate. “I know he was the backbone of our team in Buffalo”, said Imlach. “(His death) was a terrible loss, not only to his family and the team, but to the game of hockey.”

Gordie Howe has called Tim Horton hockey’s strongest man. In a fight, Horton was known to edge into the melee and “grab a couple” of players to help keep the peace. But despite his legendary strength, he was not a proponent of violence on the ice. Some claim Tim invented the slap shot, and he could always be counted on to get the puck out of his own end of the ice with his “heads up” skating style.

Tim Horton always considered his hockey talent in the proper perspective. He was modestly confident about his abilities, was approachable, generous and considerate. His memory will always be held dear by family, friends, players and business associates alike."

The History Of Tim Hortons:

The first Tim Hortons store was opened in 1964 on 64 Ottawa Street North, near Dunsmure Rd., in Hamilton, Ontario. It has since grown into Canada’s largest national chain of coffee and doughnut shops, with over 1,500 stores across Canada. Tim Donut Ltd., the corporate headquarters of the chain, is located in Oakville, Ontario and in 1997, Tim Hortons was employing 25,000 people across the country.

The Tim Hortons stores are named after their founder, Miles Gilbert “Tim” Horton, a hockey player who was born on January 12, 1930 in Cochrane. Horton began his hockey career in Quebec. He eventually played for the Toronto Maple Leafs (beginning in 1952), the New York Rangers (1970), the Pittsburgh Penguins (1971) and then for the Buffalo Sabres (1972).

Initially, Tim Horton was involved in a string of hamburger restaurants with his partner Jim Charade, while he was still playing hockey. These restaurants were not very successful ventures, so Mr. Horton explored the idea of a doughnut and coffee store. He opened his first Tim Hortons store in 1964 in Hamilton, Ontario. The Tim Hortons store served coffee and doughnuts exclusively. Eventually, Tim Horton’s own personal creations, such as the apple fritter and the dutchie, were featured at the store. These became the chain’s most popular doughnut choices in the 1960’s and have remained popular ever since.

Ron Joyce, a former Hamilton police constable,
aw that Tim Horton was looking for help in running his store through an ad in the newspaper. Joyce proceeded to take out a $10,000 loan from the credit union which he then invested in the store. At that time, the store was known as “Tim Horton.” Later the name was changed to “Tim Horton’s” and then later still to “Tim Hortons,” with no apostrophe.

In 1965, Ron Joyce took over the original Tim Hortons store with future aspirations of expanding the store to include ten outlets. At this time, a quarter could buy a cup of coffee and a doughnut. A dozen doughnuts cost 89 cents. Slowly, more Tim Hortons stores started springing up and business was fairly successful.

Tim Horton was killed in an untimely car crash on February 21, 1974 while traveling back to Buffalo after playing a Sabres game in Toronto. He was driving home in his expensive Pantera sports car, maintaining speeds of 160 km/h (100 mph) on the QEW near St. Catharines, when he lost control of his vehicle and crashed.

Not long after Horton’s death, Joyce offered Lori Horton (Tim’s widow) $1 million for her shares in the chain, which included forty stores by that time. Once she accepted his offer, Joyce became the sole owner. Years later, Mrs. Horton decided that the deal between her and Joyce was not fair and took the matter to court. Mrs. Horton lost the lawsuit in 1993, and was declined for appeal in 1995.

Nevertheless, the business continued to grow and become more innovative. In 1976, Tim Hortons introduced the Timbit, which has since enjoyed much success. Despite what many people believe, a Timbit is not a doughnut hole.

In 1977, a $100,000 Tim Hortons building at Main and Wentworth Streets in Hamilton was built and dubbed the “Doughnut University,” because it was used as a teaching facility. Trainees would be taught how to bake around the clock and provide continual freshness to customers. By this time, the company was approaching $20-million in sales. In 1978, Tim Donut Ltd. opened it’s 100th store in Thunder Bay, Ontario.

With his business on the rise, Ron Joyce developed an interesting way to pick out new sites for Tim Hortons stores. Mr. Joyce would pilot the company’s twin-engined aircraft around the country in search of just the right spot for a store. Any sites which he thought looked interesting would be further investigated, and if it was feasible, then a Tim Hortons would be built there.

Over the years, Tim Hortons has tried a number of new products, in an attempt to diversify the business. These have included such foods as clam chowder, chili, muffins, pies, croissants, cookies, cinnamon buns, bagels, soups, sandwiches and even macaroons.

At one time, plans were being considered to open Tim Hortons ice cream stores. This idea was abandoned when it became apparent that the ice cream business was seasonal and might not not be a successful venture. One similar plan which did go through was Tim Horton’s Break Away, which was a soup and sandwich chain. Break Away was a failure, and although nine of those stores were opened, the experiment was eventually abandoned.

However, Tim Hortons did come up with a number of exciting promotions. One of these promotions is the “Roll Up The Rim” cups that have come out annually since the mid-eighties. These cups have special rims that, when rolled up, have messages printed on the inside which indicate if someone is a winner or not. Prizes include food products, bicycles, coffee makers and cars.

On March 3, 1983, Tim Hortons took a somewhat controversial move and opened Canada’s first non-smoking Tim Hortons store. This store was located at the intersection of Main and Wellington in Hamilton. Not long after this, the second non-smoking store opened in Kitchener. The idea behind having non-smoking Tim Hortons stores was that people who did not smoke would still be able to enjoy Tim Hortons’ coffee and food without being surrounded by tobacco smoke. The ideology was that smokers would not have much reason to complain, as another Tim Hortons where smoking was allowed was probably not more than a few blocks away. When the first non-smoking store did open, people refused to obey their policy and police had to be called in a few times to evict smokers.

Business for Ron Joyce and his company continued to do quite well right into the 1980s. The 200th store was opened in 1984 in Clappison’s Corners and on November 25, 1985, the first Tim Hortons drive-thru was opened on Upper Gage and Fennell in Hamilton. By 1985, Tim Hortons was spending close to $100,000 on research and development and about $2.8 million on advertising. In 1987, store number 300 was opened in Calgary, followed closely by number 400 in 1989, in Halifax. By 1991, the 500th store was opened in Aylmer, Quebec.

One day, Ron Joyce met Dave Thomas on a golf course. Thomas, the American founder of the Wendy’s hamburger chain, owned a house next to Joyce’s, in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and the pair immediately hit it off as good friends. In 1992, the two men began co-operating on the business front. They established a number of combination Wendy’s/Tim Hortons stores in Canada, a total of 13 by 1995.

After serious consideration by both men and their company boards, a merger was announced between Wendy’s and Tim Hortons in 1995. This was a $425-million U.S. deal that left Ron Joyce the biggest shareholder of the third-largest hamburger chain in the United States. It also made Tim Hortons a division of the U.S.-based Wendy’s chain. The merger left Tim Hortons a wholly owned subsidiary of Wendy’s, although the two do retain separate management. As part of the deal, Tim Donut Ltd. was given 13.5% of Wendy’s stock, worth about $300 million U.S., and Wendy’s assumed $125 million U.S. of Tim Hortons’ debt. In the end, the total deal was worth about $580 million Canadian.

Although Tim Hortons had operated in nearby Buffalo since the 1970’s, Joyce, considered the Wendy’s/Tim Hortons merger a great way to expand into the U.S. market, under the merger, forty stores were opened in Detroit and another forty in the Columbus, Ohio area. He also began expanding the store by introducing some non-traditional storefronts, such as carts, drive-through-only locations, and small outlets in universities, sports arenas, the CN Tower, and duty-free stores at the U.S.-Canadian border.

Although Tim Hortons has had a dramatic expansion, and has grown considerably as a business since the early days of the 1960s, Ron Joyce and his company have done their best to see to it that some of the early traditions are adhered to and the old store standards are kept high. A plaque hangs on the wall of the first Tim Hortons store, reading: “Built on hard work and dreams, the Tim Horton chain takes pride in its history…”

Training for Tim Hortons employees is intensive in order to maintain a high level of customer service. This is especially true for someone who wishes to open a new store. They must attend training sessions at the company headquarters in Oakville for fifteen days straight where they are taught how to make doughnuts and how to manage a Tim Hortons store successfully.

In 1995, the company decided that each store should have a poster of Tim Horton by Ken Danby. However, Tim Horton’s widow demanded the removal of the posters. A letter from Mrs. Horton’s lawyer in 1995 eventually led to the posters being taken down, despite the fact that the company had no real legal obligations to do so.

Several years ago, Ron Joyce established the Tim Hortons Children’s Foundation. This is a non-profit, charitable organization, that allows thousands of children from less-well-off homes to attend a first-class summer camp for a few weeks of the year. Local Tim Hortons store owners keep in touch with community churches, schools, clubs and local agencies such as Big Brothers and Sisters, to select children aged seven to eleven, who might not otherwise have a chance to experience the fun of a summer camp outside of their immediate province or region. The Foundation covers all of the costs for each child, including food, lodging, transportation and the facilities at the camps.

Ron Joyce was named to the Order of Canada in 1992 for his work with the Children’s Foundation. In 1996, he also received a lifetime achievement award from the Canadian Franchise Association for his pioneering spirit and inspirational leadership.

Ron Joyce is not stopping the corporation’s expansion. By the year 2000, he hopes to have 2,000 Tim Hortons outlets across Canada. As of April, 1997, there were already 1,500, and since the company was able to accomplish its earlier goal of having 1,000 stores by 1995 (the 1,000th store was opened in Ancaster, Ontario), there is a very good chance that they will succeed once again.

Baking twice every 24 hours, the 1,500 stores go through an average of 200 pounds of dough everyday. Their sales totaled $646-million in 1996. In 1997, there were 70 stores in Hamilton-Wentworth area alone. This works out to one store for every 7,081 people, which confirms the statements that Hamilton truly is the capital of coffee and doughnut stores

I have been told that the donuts arrive frozen and totally premade. Then they are nuked. They don’t seem to be nearly as good as they were a couple years ago, and that may be why. But I don’t know if that’s really true.
I do know there’s less donuts on the shelves and if I go to Tim Hortons its for a gooey grease-carbs&white sugar fix, it’s not for a goddam carob, tofu and granola freaking muffin.
And half of them don’t even have debit card machines. My sister and I had to mooch coins off our kids to bring timbits to my Dad in the hospital!

I knew he was a hockey player and that he died in a car accident. There was someone in my car that didn’t believe me. Plus I also wanted to see if the workers knew.

My brother worked at Tim Hortons this summer. He speaks of it like it was some death camp. He forbids me from eating the chicken salad sandwhich. :cry:

He knew the right answers.

If anybody asked me about Bata I’d be stumped.

I wonder if you know what SAAN, as in the store, means?

Just some meaningless fact I once heard, but I think it means “Surplus Army And Navy”. Could be wrong though.

Bata was the guy’s name who started it, originally in Czechoslovakia, then in Canada (and now back in the Czech Republic). One of the world’s largest shoe companies, and mainly based in Canada, which is cool.

how bout mark’s work wearhouse ?

that was named for how they see their customers
:laughing:

Bata History:

The business that became the Bata Shoe Organization was established on August 24, 1894 in Zlin, Czechoslovakia by Tomas Bata, and included his brother Antonin and sister Anna. Although this business was new, the Bata name had been part of a tradition of shoemaking for eight generations, spanning three hundred years.

It was one of the first modern-day shoe ‘manufacturers’, a team of stitchers and shoemakers creating footwear not just for the local town, but also for distant retail merchants. This departure from the centuries-old tradition of the one-man cobbler’s workshop was a brand new concept, creating an entirely new industry.

The Bata enterprise revolutionized the treatment of employees and labour conditions. Tomas consistently maintained a human focus, creating opportunities for development and advancement, and added compensation for employees based on achievement.

In late 1895, Antonin was drafted into the army for compulsory military service and left the family shoe business. Also that year, Anna left the company to marry, leaving a young Tomas to build the business on his own.

By 1905 Tomas had taken the new enterprise to 2,200 pairs of shoes per day, produced by 250 employees - utilizing resourceful imaginations, skilled hands and modern machinery to keep up with demand. Under this ‘manufacturing’ system, productivity was greater than ever before.

Bata® shoes were excellent quality and available in more styles than had been offered before. Demand grew rapidly in the early 1900s. Despite material and manpower shortages, cartels and the outbreak of World War I, sales continued to increase, reaching two million pairs per year by 1917.

As the enterprise prospered, so did the communities where it operated. Tomas believed that a focus on people and public service was critical for business success. The enterprise built housing, schools and a hospital near the shoemaking plant in Zlin. It provided food and inexpensive rent during very difficult times, when there was no other help to be found. Bata companies later provided rail services, construction, insurance, publishing and a tannery in Zlin.

Following World War I, consumer purchasing power was very low. Tomas and his employees devised a plan to adjust to post-war economic difficulties and reduced their shoe prices. Bata® stores were flooded with buyers, and industry cynics were forced to follow their lead.

Already exporting to other European countries, Northern Africa and the USA, the enterprise began establishing new sales organizations in these markets during the 1920s. Companies were opened in Poland, Yugoslavia, Holland, Denmark, the United Kingdom and the USA. By the early 1930s, the Bata enterprise and Czechoslovakia were the world’s leading footwear exporters.

“The Bata System” devised by the Zlin team, and later applied in other Bata Shoe Organization companies, organized operations into autonomous workshops and departments (“profit centres”), allowing employees to contribute ideas and stimulate production, and contributed significant breakthroughs in footwear technology.

A great proponent of modern technology, Tomas Bata was likely one of the first industrialists to travel by private airplane. Tragically in 1932, poor weather on takeoff near Zlin forced his airplane down and Tomas died in this plane accident.

By this time, new companies had been established in France, Austria, Romania, Sweden, Switzerland, Egypt, Belgium, Finland, Luxembourg, Hungary, Italy, Indonesia and Singapore, and by 1938, the Bata Shoe Organization had established a unique and widespread presence, designing, producing and marketing footwear in more than 30 countries.

Thomas J. Bata, son of founder Tomas, had from an early age been active in the Bata Shoe Organization companies. He had already served in several leadership positions and would soon spearhead the establishment of the Canadian company. Thomas J. Bata was CEO of Bata Limited for over 40 years.

The Bata Shoe Organization regarded itself as a ‘multi-domestic’ rather than multinational enterprise, making it a priority to contribute to the economy in any new markets it entered. Production facilities were frequently added to sales organizations, beginning with Möhlin, Switzerland and Calcutta, India. Many other shoemaking plants followed, at a rate of about two per year, until the 1960s.

During the 50s, 60s and 70s the Organization redoubled its focus on retailing excellence, international footwear branding, advanced manufacturing techniques and extensive employee training, another Bata tradition that dated back to the Organization’s earliest years. The Organization continued to expand its retail operations, production facilities and moved into new countries of operation.

Thomas J. Bata, and son Thomas G. Bata, continued to lead the Organization with the traditional philosophy ensuring that each operation focused on customer satisfaction. The father and son team began redefining the Organization, as the world manufacturing base for footwear shifted to developing countries. New business strategies have been guided by the founding principles of focussing on customers, marketing and employees. Branded products, innovative retail store concepts, lifestyle merchandising, non-footwear products and participative retailing have been introduced.

In 1992, the Organization and family were invited to return to the Czech Republic, where Bata had remained a symbol of national pride and achievement.

Today the Bata family continues to be involved in the organization, with Thomas G. Bata, grandson of the founder as Chairman

What’s your source’s url? Man with the doll in his avatar.
I watched some A&E program on Bata once, pretty interesting seeing how they built themselves up from a small shoe company to a pretty popular name. It’s also neat how it’s been run by all generations of the family.

And today… you can get great quality mens shoes for $22.89 including taxes.

If you need dress shoes… there’s the place to go.

For the man with Dr. Pepper cans in his avatar :laughing: the Bata source URL is:

bata.com/about_bata/history.htm

Bata may have occasional good deals, but they’re a shitty company to work for. My husband used to manage the Terrace store (trained in PR) and they screwed him completely!!! It’s not bad if you’re a part-timer, but they screw their Management. Just a note.

I can not wait for smartass to reply to that one, this should be good…

Yeah, I haven’t heard what happened there, but being a “Manager Trainee” isn’t all that bad. I don’t want to be manager, I’ve already been asked 3 times, but nah, I’m happy where I am. I’m getting full medical and dental benefits, along with $10 an hour and lovely, lovely commission. And I just won $250 for coming 3rd in Canada during a 3 week contest… free cash is always good.

The Terrace store has turned into a big piece of crappola since your hubby left Lady_Kaboo. They hired a complete moron to run the store, and it’s always a complete mess. Kinda like the way the Rupert store was when Corey was managing it.

ROFL!!! OMG, someone who remembers Cory!!! Yeah, we heard about what happened to the Terrace store after we left. They actually hired Jarvis’s girlfriend, and the store went to shit from there. Their biggest mistake was getting rid of Trevor.

Yep… Trevor was personable, and had a brain. The new one is a complete moron who constantly asks the stupidest questions, and tries to act all high and mighty on the phone with me, when I’m the one that knows more about her job than she does.

Is that the one who wears sunglasses when she works?. HAHA