The Police: "There's ZERO Tolerance" (woohoo)

What I intended was that if you don’t break the law, you’ll never have to worry about the RCMP coming after you. Of course there ARE incidents where police officers make mistakes–but more often than not they’re on the money.

“eccentric” is right.  Law enforcement officials, are agents of the government.  The government is supposed to represent the people that put it in power, that would be you and I.  If you have a problem with the laws around you, don’t take it out on someone who is just doing their job, get involved.  Understand the system and become part of the change.  First, stop the violence, communication is key.  Law should be taught at grade three.
peace

[quote]They had me handcuffed, face in the dirt when my roomie punched a cop, broke free and jumped in his Jeep across the street. Three cruisers chased him until he hit a lamp pole and totalled it.
Then this cop runs up and boots me in the head for no reason at all!!!
[/quote]

Do people understand we have a “Criminal Code of Canada”.  This is a book that defines the laws we are supposed to live within.  If you get kicked in the head breaking them, or under the suspicion of breaking them, and you don’t like it, get involved, change the laws around you.
And yes, I have been to jail before…
peace…

what, no

Saturday, I noticed a few alcoholics sitting down on a corner outside of Papa Jazzi’s, for well over an hour, and a half, passing a bottle of whatever, anyways, if our so called police claim to have a “Zero Tolerence”, then please explain how this took place for so long, meanwhile parents, and their children had to pass, and see the affects of being drunk, and obnoxious. then on top of that, the drunk guy not only told the police officers to “Fuck Off”, however he also gave the officers the finger about five times, as he walked away, only to have the officers follow him, and tell him that they were going to drive him home. Man if I give a cop the finger, or tell them to fuck off, boy oh boy, I would probually end up in front of the judge. Now, don’t get me wrong, I do have some respect for our RCMP, however, as I have said in other posts, I have no respect for alcoholics. Damn, DFO have a stricter “Zero Tolerance” than our ®otten ©arrots, and (M)ashed §otatoes do.

They respond quickest to crimes that are reported. Did you call the police station? Also, these people are likely known to police, and they’ve probably spent their fair share of time in jail. Sometimes the community is better served by driving these people home than by locking them up. It’s a process, shawn–these police officers know what they’re doing.

Just our of curiousity, have you had any personal encounters with the RCMP in the past?

A few years ago yes, however I am not reflecting on my past encounters, I am reflecting on what they claim to be doing. Further more, as far as processes go, we need more foot patrols, and more officers inter-acting with the public, not driving around once an hour. Essentric, thank you for your comments, however my comment reflected on what the drunks were doing, and how the police acted. If I were to do it sober, what do you think would happen, maybe I should try to finger the cops, and tell them all to fuck off, and see where that gets me, surely won’t be offering me a ride home. I know that our fine fellows in blue do what they can, however we have an issue with alcoholism in Prince Rupert, and that needs to be dealt with.

Alcoholism is the fault of people who decide to drink, not of police. Don’t shift blame.

Damn straight, I’m getting another beer…lol
peace

agreed- lots of people with problems and we need more services to deal with this and other problems-only way things will improve-the police can only do so much

“Zero Tolerance” wont reduce crime, before you dont go out and drink do you think, hmmm, i better be careful the cops are getting serious? The police have rules that they have to go by, if you break a law they can charge you, if you don’t they can’t. all they can do is use their discretion to ignore some of the minor laws that are broken, if they used zero tolerance we would need a justice system twice the size, our already overworked system diverts most people out of the system right away with a warning or a ride home or w/e. If you put every unruly rupertite through the system half of us would have a criminal record. They’re taught from day one of their training to try and deal with people without charging them if possible.

Halloween congestion was virtually absent when I went out in the evening to be dragged around by my dog. Stopping offensive behaviour is needed. How, is the problem. Police are increasingly in a bind as they are called upon to do the work of parents, social workers, educators etc. Youth need safe places to hang out, things to do and means of self-expression. That’s part of growing up. It would be great to see social workers, youth workers, elders, community leaders and parents step up to the plate. Our police needs would be entirely different and our community would benefit all the way across. I know a lot of RCMP who have kids and give a damn doing things to make this place better for kids outside of work. So one guy finally says what he feels out of fustration and he gets “woohoo”. Nobody needs to take the abuse I’ve seen in this town directed at the police. The community is abusing them by not recognizing the bind we put them in by not expecting better of the other supports in the community. It costs about $125,000 all in for an RCMP, about $60,000 for a social worker, $45,000 for a youth worker. Now let me see…

Well from I hear and heard many times since moving here, there was a guy by the name of Miles or Myles who did some good work with the streets and things going down with the streets and I heard he was left with no funding. So why has nobody gone to bat for him? Just keep hearing of him and that is a fairly good question I think.

I’m not sure if Mr. Moreu (sp) is formally trained as a social worker. I’m not sure, but I think he might do it out of the goodness of his heart. If this is the case, I’m sure there’s room for him at the soup kitchens and similar organizations around town, but I don’t think funding should be granted.

I believe that the amount of work he has done in this community on many levels of social issues should be acknowledged. Some of the folk he has worked with in the twenty years have moved on and some still come to him. I think it is not just the goodness of his heart but the fact that he believes in what he does best.

Isn’t he you?

Certainly your work should be acknowledged, but not through funding. There are lots of trained social workers trying to do the same type of work as you that need the same kind of funding.

Alcoholism is the fault of people who decide to drink, not of police. Don’t shift blame. <Some yes some no. The element of choice can’t be ignored but there are other factors and not all problems revolve around drinking. No debate that it sure as hell fuels the fire but the cause is much broader. Self-worth issues, self medication, escaping despair, lack of hope, doing it all right but still getting the short end of a stick… We need police and we need them to have the support from all of the community to correct our problems. I was walking by Herbies and an RCMP memeber asked me if I had seen a person and described him. He had made advances against a child on a bus. As I was listening a woman walked by and started yelling at him then me asking me if I was going to “rat” on him. Since when is it “ratting” if you are trying to prevent a child from being molested. Any right thinking person has the responsibilty to protect a child. This cop was simply doing his job and this was at noon. He didn
’t deserve any of the abuse he stood there and took before continuing to look. At night it gets far worse. The issue of alcohol and the costs is at all of our doors all of the time as is sexual procuring of children. Adults “run” for kids. Heavy drug use among teens has cost lives and there are many who may never get out with a chance at normal lives. As long as people conduct themselves responsibly the choices they make don’t affect me but stepping over the line to the point that the resources we have don’t hold up, then that’s a problem for all of us to deal with and the police are simply at one end of a long line that needs more stops along the way. My point is that the problem exists for whatever reason and it’s taking away necessary police time to do work that could be done better and less expensively by others. Some of the people I’ve seen come out of bars couldn’t stand up. That’s definitely a police problem because someone overserved them.

JGV has some very good points on these issues but we all know that someone will always be willing to blame or point their fingers at the RCMP when it comes to street issues as well. I sit and wonder where eccentric comes from and where he is going sometimes. One who loves calling people out it seems and always going against the grain no matter who is posting. If it is Mig’s word then eccentric calls him on it, the Podunkian gets the same treatment. No matter who the individual is he or she must expect the eccentric to call it down or question the post. Justin Case is now being questioned probably because he asked a simple question re the outreach worker in the community. Well maybe I wonder who the Podunkian is or burningrubber.

What? I’m sorry–I hate calling people out for grammar, but break that up a little. I have NO idea what you’re trying to say.