The "Older than dirt" quiz

Older Than Dirt Quiz:

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about.

Ratings at the bottom.

1  Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
6 . Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels)
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S& H greenstamps
16  Hi-fi’s
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19 Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22 .Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers 

If you remembered 0-5 = You’re still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don’t tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You’re older than dirt!

It’s official, I am NOT older than dirt!!!  :smiley:

1  Blackjack chewing gum
15. S& H greenstamps

• American stuff. We didn’t have them.
  1. Packards
  2. Studebakers
  • Packards were Studebakers the last few years.
  1. Howdy Doody
  • Only if you lived on a hill and could pull in Seattle. He wasn’t on CBC, CHEK or KVOS
  1. P.F. Flyers
  2. Butch wax
  • no idea what these are

How about camping and  listening to ‘The Reluctant Astronaut’ on Channel 6 or 8 on the FM radio and imagining the movie?
Fleer bubble gum and Stubby Soda Pop. Kickapoo Joy-juice?
Four for a penny candy with politically incorrect names?
Pop machines with bottles. Pack an opener and a cup and tip the machine forward when no one’s around. Or the ones you slid the vertical bottles through a track, you just opened and sucked up with a straw?
Or a skinny gf who could reach into the smoke machine in the SFU student lounge and flip out a dozen packs or so?

I can remember 1-7, 11, 14, 19, and 23.  I remember walking to our corner store down by the beach in Delta as a kid buying paper bags filled with a variety of candies for 10 cents.
Yeah…I’m not gonna tell my age:-)

45rpm records??? I remember when we moved to BC from the country outside Winnipeg, throwing and breaking all my dad’s 78’s. Ah yes, I’m older than dirt. I remember 21 out of 25 items listed. Still have a few of my gramma’s cylindrical ‘Edison’ records. Packards were probably around, just don’t remember them, not sure what a P.F. Flyer is, nor Butch wax. For those not familiar, in the party line phone era, phones had a crank on the side where you had a particular kind of long short crank thing you had to do…maybe…gawd that’s a long time ago…and when you answered there would usually be a bunch of people you didn’t know listening in on your call…you’d have to ask them to hang up to get some privacy. Early but different version of messenger or facebook, I guess.

Damn, can’t tell my age - only 31 and I remember quite a few…eeeps.

Shhh!! It’s items like these ones that help keep some of us from the “dirt” category-if we changed it all to Canadian things, we’d be screwed!!  :wink:

Missing from the list is a totally inappropriately-named black licorice candy called, are you ready, ‘nigger babies’. Ignorance, as a child, is bliss, I guess.

I once went to my corner store and told the owner that I didn’t want to call them “nigger babies”. He said, “Well, then you can ask for tar babies.” … bastard, confusing a kid.

Anyway, I don’t remember the green stamps or Black Jack gum, but we did have Black Cat gum.

Guess I am older than dirt…

The quiz reveals me to be about the age of the rocks that were ground into that dirt.
Do remember Blackjack gum here when I was a kid. Also fond memories of the comic book racks in the bus depot and Eddies (when Eddy Clapp and his wife ran it). Chest type pop coolers with glass bottles in ice cold water. Chow mein in the Grand Cafe and buying show tickets there, and getting the odd loaf of free bread. The Capital theater Saturday afternoon shows. (I was too young to go to Sunday midnight)! Listening to KTKN Ketchikan radio when the reception got clear in the evenings. Shows like X-1, Gunsmoke, Jack Benny, Amos and Andy, Edgar Bergen. Army Cadet drill in the old Armories on 6th West. The old look out where the Rupert Square upper parking lot is now. Rupert Bakery bread in the wax paper wrapper. Airline service with the Canso with the 'blister window on the sides. Standing on the bridge between the CN station and the park and getting enveloped with steam from the locomotives as they went underneath.
These and so so many more! A kid growing up in Prince Rupert.
These things are gone now and it would be interesting to see what a kid here today would write in 50 years or so about their memories. I hope they will be as good as mine.

I remember 4.  I’m 27.

Anybody Remember looking in the window of the North Star Bottling works? Johnny McLeod ran it. Wet floor, clinking bottles, great memories! The old museum with Mrs. Bolton as the curator.We always went upstairs to look at The baby seal in the big jar of alcohol. I still remember the smell of the old building! Anybody remembering playing around the old cannon by the side of the museum?
I guess when you think back to the past it seems comforting, but there were the same problems then as we have today, but forgotten in the distance of time.

I remember the donut shop when they opened Brentwood Mall in Burnaby. They had an automated line that went around the edge of the shop and you could watch them plop off the line into the icing sugar through the window.
And long before 7-11 there was the Chinese Store on every corner. There was a drape behind the front counter, and usually the family kitchen or tv room was right behind it.

A Canadianized list should have Meccano and Dinky Toys on it! :smiley:

I remember almost all of that , plus walking through c.n park before rupert square was built  and the cruise ships that used to come in before the dock burned.

hehehe And they said i would never see it through my teens

Holy memories Batman!  I love hearing about this stuff that I wasn’t around to see.

Keep em coming!

Chemistry sets.
Flubber.
Superballs.
Making things out of powdered asbestos in Grade Two.
The Strap.
Girls sent home from school for wearing pants.
Which upon historical review seems more out of practicality in the days when, should a girl be stricken by The Curse, required a sanitary pad the size of a love-seat and a complicated network of straps and over-the-shoulders aircraft grade cable to hold in place, and could only be concealed under an ankle-length skirt!

Talking about CN  park. Remember the pond with the fountain in the middle? In the years when it was neglected and started to fall apart we use to make rafts out of old wood scraps and float around on it. And up the hill was the big tree truck cut in a cross section, a lot taller than any of we were! And there was the anchor beside it that we tried to lift to show how strong we were! As I remember there were three Totem Poles there too.(This was roughly where Boston Pizza is now). In the winter we used to ride our sleds down from there to the board walk leading to the bridge to the CN station.

And this in ‘later years’ does anybody remember the Melrose Cafe? The Red Boat? The days when the beer parlors had to close from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM? ( An antiquated law from the English tradition). In those days the Empress Hotel was called ‘The Bucket Of Blood’ and it was a short cut from the Belmont to the Rupert.(Old timers will know what that means, if there are many left here now). In those days a good beer parlor waiter was thought of as star athlete is today. They were respected and they were were tough! As I remember the Commercial Hotel was the bar for Longshoremen. Gill Gaudry and Rudy Ludago were the co owners. The Commercial was one of the first bars in town to put in shuffle board tables, and this riled up the old regulars no end! Eventually it was accepted and here we are today. I cant be the only one who muddled through all this!

I have heard some great stories about this area and it seems like many good memories shared by all. Just came here in 80 and I believe that the stories were shared within my first two years here. When men were men and the sheep were nervous.

Who could forget the original Brad’s Drive in? It was on the right side of the highway heading out of town near where the industrial park is now. It was an old bus with the side cut out. The ‘old timers’ will remember what was on the Deluxe Burger. I wish I could have one now!

I remember CN Park, Slaggards (West corner of McBride and 3rd) soft ice cream,
Ben’s News Stand West corner 3rd & McBride(last incarnation Green Apple) it had one of those glass type gas pumps on the 3rd side,  the elevated board streets that sounded like a giant xylophone when cars drove over them, when the Hwy to Terrace was paved I gues this makes me Glacial. ( how the dirt was made in the first place)

Wow! The glass gas pump on 3rd. beats me! Wasn’t Ben’s called Nora’s Corner in the 70’s?