The Doors

I just bought the recently released The Doors Live in Vancouver 1970. I had to get it because I was at the concert.

I am enjoying reliving a moment in time, but I’m not here to review the CD.

What I found interesting was the poster on the liner notes advertising the event. Tickets were $3, $4, and $5.

I had a minimum wage job in the summer of 1970 paying me $1.50/hr. Two hours of minimum wage work got me in to one of the top acts of the day. Try getting into a top act today for less than the equivalent of a full day of minimum wage work.

Not sure if I have a point except that I think I was a lucky kid to be able to see groups like the Doors, Hendrix, Stewart/Faces, the Who for the prices I paid. I actually remember feeling ripped off when we had to pay $7 to see Led Zeppelin.

Dale , Led ,Ted and Fred had to charge a larger sum because of the party and damage the would cause . Plant and Page were hardcore party. I caught the Doors for free in Montreal in the Father’s Moustach after a concert at the forum , they came and jammed . Yeah I seem to remember some of the concerts or are they flashbacks.

I guess we date ourselves when we quote the prices back then ! I have been so lucky to have seen many concerts living near Toronto, The Who, Steppenwolf, Led Zeppelin, Hall & Oates, Seals & Croft,Tom Jones, Dr.Hook, Elvis (in Buffalo),Aerosmith, Stones (horrible concert!), Kiss, Stevie Ray/Joe Cocker, Grateful Dead etc. and I believe the most I paid for a ticket was the Kiss concert in Hamilton $15.00 ! Outside Hamilton, they used to host the annual Blues and Rock Festivals with Roy Orbison, Cliff Richards and all those fellas for free ! Such great times ! haven’t thought about those good old days in ages! I even remember them too, OMG !

You gotta pay for the greed somehow. How else are these poor rockstars to afford 10 multi million dollar houses, 400,000.00 cars. I mean they could just release good music and make a lot of money but thats work.

Wow, that does make me a little sad.

In the past couple of years I’ve been fortunate enough to check out some concerts at GM Place and the QET and the cheapest ticket for those shows was about $65 (plus Ticketmaster charges) - the equivalent of eight hours of work at minimum wage.

Next show on the list is Bob Seger (apparently touring again). Curious to know the price, but he’s the last one on my list of acts I really want to see…

This makes me feel pretty bad about having to pay $150/seat to catch a Canucks game every now and then.

Went and saw Hammerfall at the Venue in downtown Vancouver last year, tickets were about $70 if I remember correctly.

Yeah I caught early Stones when Brian Jones was with them three times , once Mtl. once To and L.A , caught Janis Joplin twice in Toronto, Bob Dylan and the Band , James Brown , ELO , Bob Seeger in 67 in Mtl. Byrds , It was all good I think.

Stuffing cigarette filters in our ears and going outside the Cow Palace because Deep Purple was so goddam loud… can’t hear worth shit anymore. I think that one was $4. I remember Yes, Eagles and another band for $3 and budgeting $20 for 2 tickets and 4 hits of acid for Pink Floyd.
Drifted away from concerts after the early Punk/New Wave days in Vancouver. Won tickets to Rush when I was 29 and felt like a freaking old fart then.
Now I really are one.

Won’t go see Mick Jagger in Depends.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”] Won tickets to Rush when I was 29 and felt like a freaking old fart then.
Now I really are one.
[/quote]

I realized I was old (22 at the time) when standing on the floor of the Coliseum listening to Led Zeppelin, some young kid about shoulder high nudged me and offered me a joint with the line “Would you like a toke, Sir?” He called me Sir. I was devastated.

I listen to stories about how artists used to actually play in Rupert. It’s depressing that the only band I’ve seen is Trooper. Oh, and Swollen Members. But I only really like two of their songs…

Does anyone else on this forum remember when artists would actually play here?

I saw Yes in Vancouver in the early 70s. I bought my ticket from a scalper wearing a black cape outside the Colosseum. Yes was loud, weird, and good. :smile:

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

Does anyone else on this forum remember when artists would actually play here?[/quote]

Valdy , Collin James , Long John Baldry , The Great Rita Chiarelli , April Wine , my lady and I spent an afternoon with Brian Greenway of April Wine , goodtime reflecting on our days in Mtl.

In the early '80s Stonebolt played at the Rupert Hotel.

Streetheart and The Headpins, if memory serves.

[quote=“Justin Case”]

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

Does anyone else on this forum remember when artists would actually play here?[/quote]

Valdy , Collin James , Long John Baldry , The Great Rita Chiarelli , April Wine , my lady and I spent an afternoon with Brian Greenway of April Wine , goodtime reflecting on our days in Mtl.[/quote]

I’ve heard all of those artists on CD, but never in person. Rita Chirarelli has an amazing blues voice.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

[quote=“Justin Case”]

Valdy , Collin James , Long John Baldry , The Great Rita Chiarelli , April Wine , my lady and I spent an afternoon with Brian Greenway of April Wine , goodtime reflecting on our days in Mtl.

I’ve heard all of those artists on CD, but never in person. Rita Chirarelli has an amazing blues voice.[/quote]

I have seen her twice since I moved to Rupert in '99 and she is amazing ! Well worth the $25.00 ticket and then of course had to buy a CD ! Doesn’t hurt that she is a Hamilton gal just like myself either !! Michele Wright and the Stampeders have also played here and they were good concerts also although my better half would disagree about the Stamps ! LOL

Shiiit. We dont buy cds these days old man, we just pirate bay them tunes. So I dont mind paying $100-150 for a live show. I’m pretty sure thats where most artists make their actual money.

Do you figure its easy performing live vs recording in the studio? Now I know you’re going to go rip on britney spears or some shit for lip syncing, and vocoding, and back tracking, and you’re right, but check out Black Mountain or TV on the Radio next time they’re in BC and you will enjoy their live show if you’re a fan of their recorded works. Those dudes (and girls) go off!! Art isn’t easy.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]I listen to stories about how artists used to actually play in Rupert. It’s depressing that the only band I’ve seen is Trooper. Oh, and Swollen Members. But I only really like two of their songs…

Artists still perform in Rupert. The Lester Centre, the Concert Society and the Northcoast Performers probably bring in 20 or so acts a year between them.

I am not saying that every one of them should be a sell out, but I would bet that if you went to a random concert instead of a random movie, you would feel that the $15-20 you spent on the concert was the better value. Last year Lunch at Allens (the all famous quartet of Murray McLauchlin, Cindy Church, Ian Thomas and Marc Jordan) played at the Lester Centre and it was certainly worth the $32.

It’s expensive for performers especially larger groups to tour up north, so before they come to Rupert they are probably going to need other shows along Highway 16. And they or a sponsoring group (like the three organizations in town) are going to want to make sure it is not a money loser.

I am not sure what people mean when they say they want artists coming to town. I assume it means well-known. But don’t be afraid to support some of the lesser known artists that come through town. First of all, they are usually surprisingly good and secondly, you might be able to tell your grandchildren you saw “so and so” before they became famous.

Rita Chiarelli to me is the finest female blues singer in Canada , yes Hamilton lady. Some ladies from Hamilton have good taste ( but not the Stampeders please.)

There’s been all kinds of great artists and music that have come through our town. Just a couple of weeks ago Harry Manx played at the Lester Centre. The April Verch Band was there in January. Alex Cuba in 2010. I know that these artists are’nt exactly mainstream but they are great and they’re Canadian to boot. Not to mention the community musicals that have run at The Lester Centre and The Tom Rooney. I’m talking about Jesus Christ Superstar, The Wall, Triple Bypass’s Metal Shop shows, Ted Keehn’s Ditto Sisters All thanks to the efforts of people like Crystal Lorette, Doug Moore, Ken Shaw just to list a few. So if you hear of a live show or play in town do your best to get out there and buy tickets to keep our live venues alive. I think the Lester Centre is currently raising funds for a new roof, contact them to see how you can support if you can. Help keep live music alive. Alive she cried.