The continuing EI ripoff

For the first time I find myself in complete agreement with one of the Taxpayers Federation’s pronouncements, though I wonder why it took so long for them to bring this to the public’s attention:

A taxpayer group says Canada’s employment insurance system is broken and needs to be replaced

In a report released Monday, the Canadian Taxpayers Federation says the EI system is being used by Ottawa as a cash cow.

Federation director Gregory Thomas says the federal government collected $3.3 billion more in EI revenues last year than it paid out in benefits. He also says that surplus is expected to rise to $4.2 billion this year.

CBC News

that is nothing new but don’t forget during the recession in the 80’s EI had a deficit and the government was topping it now it is doing the reverse for about 20 years or so, EI payments are too high for business’s who do not get any benefit from it time for it to be reformed

as long as steven harpers around the only reforms will be cuts to benefits for individuals so they can have higher surpluses at the expense of the program. I’m not saying changes don’t need to be made but be careful what you wish for…

Good stuff, that will cover the $3.1 billion that’s missing.

theglobeandmail.com/globe-de … e15503778/