The Book of Job

seeing that the Genesis thread has been revived…

Job is one of the better known characters of the Bible, and the Book of Job is one of the most difficult, controversial, intriguing, philosophical, contradictory books of not just The Bible, but of all literature. The Book of Job: When Bad Things Happen to a Good Person by Harold Kushner is a highly readable summary and discussion of Job’s story.

Several years ago I read another book by Rabbi Kushner called When Bad Things Happen to Good People. I can’t remember all the details but I do recall being impressed by his philosophical take on suffering, particularly by those who don’t deserve physical or emotional pain. When I saw his new book at the library, I couldn’t help but take it out.

For those who do not know the story of Job, here is a brief summary. God and Satan are talking. Satan is not the horn-headed, pitchfork carrying, curly tailed, hellish red monster that we generally envision but as Kushner tells us is actually a watcher of humans coming to tell God about what he has observed. God asks about his pious servant Job and when Satan tells God that Job is pious only because God has bestowed great fortune on him, a wager is made. In other words, let’s see how Job reacts when bad things happen to him. (I have trouble with a supposedly good god doing this.)

Immediately, all of Job’s cattle, sheep and camels are killed or stolen. His crops are destroyed. His 10 children are murdered. Finally, Job is covered with boils. His wife asks him to curse God and die and three friends try to get Job to admit that he must have done something wrong to have this happen to him. Job refuses both. All he wants is an explanation from God. God comes down and tells Job that Job cannot begin to understand what it is like to be the Creator and that God does not have to answer to anyone. However, because Job remained righteous, Job is given back his possessions (in fact doubled) and he fathers 10 more children. (His poor wife.)

One of the advantages of being an atheist is that I don’t have to tie myself in a knot trying to reconcile this conundrum: if God is all good and all powerful, why does evil exist? Why do bad things happen, especially to good people? After detailing the story of Job, Kushner spends the rest of his book wrestling with that problem including summaries of Jewish philosophers from the past. All of it makes fascinating reading, but in the end, if I were a believer, I am not sure how satisfied I would be at the explanation.

According to Kushner, God is not completely powerful. He really doesn’t have total control of the chaos that he overcame at Creation. He has no control over the evil that occurs from the free will given to humans. There needs to be challenges for humans to overcome and improve. (But don’t you think a little intervention say when Hitler was constructing concentration camps or when the hurricanes are about to touch land might be helpful?) Kushner even goes so far as to remind us that though God cannot control everything he is always there guiding the people who try to do good in difficult times. In other words, God can’t be criticized for things going wrong but does get praise when things go right.

Despite my biases going in and coming out, I would highly recommend the book for anybody who wants to struggle with the philosophy and especially for anybody who wants to learn more about one of the most fascinating pieces of world literature.

Less than a week after I read this book, a most horrific, inexplicable shooting occurred. I was watching Katie Couric on Monday and she stated that one of the parents (not sure if it was a parent of a victim or a survivor) asked her how a merciful god could allow this to happen and she asked Joel Onsteen, the head of the largest congregation in the US to answer that question. I really wasn’t satisfied with his answer. Not a completely accurate summary but essentially “God gave us free will but be assured that he has us in the palm of his hand.”

I was curious how others responded to the question so I googled “merciful god sandy hook” and read the first few hits. None of those answers were particularly satisfying either.

One of them was on a quite extensive website by a parish priest in South Carolina who titled his blog post "Where was God?. Several people - of various beliefs and non-beliefs - had posted, so I decided to post as well as he responds to nearly everybody. We had a few back and forths about God’s interventions, miracles etc. I had to laugh at one response when he told me that I didn’t have a clear understanding of - and listed about seven topics - and that he didn’t have the time to instruct me.

I admitted my ignorance as that was why I was asking the questions and then I asked if he agreed with Kushner’s idea that God was not completely all-powerful, that god couldn’t control chaos nor over rule our free will. I pointed out to him that he too had referred to god as having feelings of anger, frustration, and helpless sorrow which are all signs of powerlessness.

His cryptic (at least to me) response: “God’s omnipotence is proven by human free will” and then told me that he couldn’t give long answers and that I should continue my research as I would find it more satisfying to do it on my own. (I suppose rather than relying on him.)

Now, considering that my default site for all things religious and spiritual is HTMF (lol) I ask the question. What does he mean by “God’s omnipotence is proven by human free will”?

And please this is a legitimate question. I don’t want the thread to dissolve into a “religion sucks, atheists are stupid” kind of discussion. Thanks in advance.

[quote=“DWhite”]L What does he mean by “God’s omnipotence is proven by human free will”?
[/quote]

I can’t pretend to know exactly what he meant but I can probably say that cognitive dissonance may explain why he said this. Faced with such a horrible tragedy, clergymen (and many others) cannot explain it, so they resort to familiar formulas (like this one or the famous “mysterious ways” ) that are so ingrained because of their deep faith. The cold hard facts (26 innocent deaths being probably a godless act) still lose when pitted against the brain’s quest to seek comfortable familiar ideas that don’t clash with the beliefs of the individual. So instead of acknowledging that God wasn’t at Sandy Hook, he gave you the formula.

I can’t pretend to know exactly what he meant but I can probably say that cognitive dissonance may explain why he said this. Faced with such a horrible tragedy, clergymen (and many others) cannot explain it, so they resort to familiar formulas (like this one or the famous “mysterious ways” ) that are so ingrained because of their deep faith. The cold hard facts (26 innocent deaths being probably a godless act) still lose when pitted against the brain’s quest to seek comfortable familiar ideas that don’t clash with the beliefs of the individual. So instead of acknowledging that God wasn’t at Sandy Hook, he gave you the formula.[/quote]

I’m with big thumb in regards to knowing what he meant.
I guess one take on his comment could be explained like this.
We were created with our own free will. This coming from an all powerful (?) God that could create as he/she saw fit. What benefit would there be sew this particular seed into the human species?
Some would say that God had so much faith in us that free will would be his gift.

“Is man basically good or basically evil?” ( Grade 10 flashback)

Most of us are pretty upstanding folk. I truly believe that. But the very free will we were given has done it’s share in leaving deep scars in human history as well.

A delicate balance, this good vs. evil thing is.

Just a thought.

Well I took a little time to follow the pastor’s advice. I talked to a relative who told me I was being too narrow in my search. “There were other religions,” he said. So I went to a Muslim site and ended my search after reading the first blog. The writer quoted from a character in a Kurt Vonnegut novel.

“There’s only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.”

I suppose that about sums it up. We will never fully understand why horrible things happen but we can certainly minimize them and help recover from them if we follow that rule.

Of course instead of being kind, we can have armed guards in every school and I suppose day care, church, (might have stopped that Sikh temple shooting), hospital, theatre (especially those showing Batman) etc.

ctvnews.ca/world/nra-calls-f … -1.1088002

Are you implying that God screwed up when he gave people free will?