The Anthroapologist

The ANTHROAPOLOGIST

Dedicated to the grave robbers,necromancers and coprolite sniffers of the pseudo-sciences of Anthropology and Archaeology.

(DON’T) BERINGEA MY NASS
The Indians came in two by two
Some of them brought their Manitou
Haida,Navaho,Iroquois too
With Hopi,Hare and Teton Sioux
They trotted down to San Diego
Then some of them said hasta luego
And moseyed down to Tierra del Fuego
NOT!!

All right so its not my Nass I just lived here for over 25 years plus one year in Old Crow.
However there are no Nisga’a genesis stories dealing with a trek that makes Mao’s Long March look like a Sunday stroll.
The flimsy evidence supporting the Beringea Theory has been sliced and diced by Ward Churchill (Since Predator Came) and Elaine Dewar(Bones) among others.

Why do the “green” scientists of Anthropology and Archaeology continue to proselytize this myth?

By perpetuating this smoke and mirrors they toady up to all the governments and funding agencies that wish to have First Nations depicted as immigrants in their own lands.

If the governments of the Second Nations stopped turning the “Nelson eye” to those facts which debunk this theory they could proceed more expeditiously with legitimate Land Claims.

LET ME TELL YOU HOW YOUR GRANDMOTHER LIVED
Downstreaming, upstreaming
Let me see your bones
If I can’t find out how you lived
I’ll check your glottal tones
I’m sorry if we got mixed up
To the wrong Indian we spoke
I guess the truth has been found out
Anthropology is a joke

Perhaps we should have paid more heed
To your oral history
But the one thing you won’t get from us
Is an Anthro apology

You see we gaze into a ball
Looking backward into time
Robbing graves and necromancy
Seems to work out fine

We like to think we’re scientists
But you tell us that we’re not
Due to words like could be,maybe,perhaps
You say our theory’s shot

Monogenesis works for us
And Beringea we hold dearly
Too bad you think of Polygenesis
And question our origin theory

We know you think our facts unsound
But so few artifacts we have found
Its hard to be completely sure
We’ve totally defined your ancient culture

But even if we got it wrong
Some other green scientist will come along
And put you under the microscope
Don’t you see there’s always hope
NOPE!!

So where did the First Nations originate? Right in the Americas, that’s why they are truly “ab origine”. Since Darwin descended from his tree, both evolutionists and fundamental Christians have espoused the cause of Monogenesis. (I wonder how many Asians, Africans and Europeans believe their origin was centered in the Fertile Crescent between the Euphrates and Tigris rivers or the Olduvai Gorge?)

A much more plausible explanation is Polygenesis, where evolution of the human species took place on every continent. What possible argument can be presented to explain the vacuum of hominids on only two continents,North and South America. When the supercontinent Pangaea was breaking up did all the hominids jump ship and hop, crawl, slither, swim back to Africa, Europe and Asia? NONSENSE !! If the Americas contained life supporting flora and fauna then why no proto-humans ?

But what about indigenous migrations? First Nations responded to the abundance or lack therof of flora and fauna. Therefor seasonal rounds plus minor shifts in population took place constantly. With the Wisconsin Ice Age however the northern people retreated south and intermingled with the locals sharing technology, culture and language. When the glaciers retreated most northerners returned to a world vastly changed but still suited to their needs as the biota had returned.Some of these First nations that returned north now shared some cultural and linguistic characteristics with those who remained south.So the mystery of why some Dene and Navaho language patterns are similar is no longer an enigma.

When the glaciers last receded
To the North we then proceeded
Enjoying all the new terrain
And learning anew how to hunt each strain
Of every animal, bird and fish
To fill our overflowing dish

On the coast of B.C. as the waters rose through glacial melting the people moved to higher ground.So at the flooding’s crest the Tahltans, Nisga’a, Tsimshian and Gitksan wound up living in close proximity to each other near the sources of the Stikine, Nass, and Skeena in the Groundhog Mountains.As the waters receded,groups attempted to return to their previous environs although some took circuitous routes. In the end most wound up close to where they had lived before the floods.

They crossed the bridge two by two
The Gitksan, Musqueam and Chilcotin crew
Nobody asked when they looked back
Why the bridge was a one way track

Maybe one in forty-four used that northern door
But there definitely weren’t any more
Because while Europeans lived in caves
Haida and Nootka ruled the waves

Over the area called B.C.
And long before sad Wounded Knee
Nisga’a, Haisla and Salish too
Were all adept in the dugout canoe

Whites said we needed different goals
Than to carve our history in our poles
I wish they’d had a bigger heart
Heck, we have lived here from the start

What laws did these latecomers heed
To make a mockery of our deed
Since time began we owned the land
They never paid a single band

Just came and took
Hands never shook
So now just like apple preserves
We sit confined on our reserve

Cause the white man said this land is ours
We need some place to park our cars
So move your indigent,animistic souls
Back from the city to where the fresh wind blows

CONCLUSION

The Beringea Theory is a Potemkin Village whose sole purpose is to denigrate First Nations people as early immigrants and thus deny their “ab origine” rights. The weak arguments about ice-free corridors and elastic time-lines are self fulfilling prophecies based on the selective dissemination of facts.

To continue to promote this concept can only be viewed as an effort to undermine legitimate land claims by denying “aboriginality”. The concept that the Incas, Iroquois, Aztecs and Nisga’as all entered the Americas via the one-way street called Beringea is a null hypothesis. What we need now is a cease and desist order to all textbook publishers to remove all reference to Beringea as the sole source of First nations genesis.

PAX VOBISCUM

Comments e-mail howlingcross@msn.com (or reply here!)

Besides the fact that this is hard to read, there seems to be a few inconsistencies in your story.

For example, you said:

Pangea’s final break-up phase was between 60-55 millions years ago (Ma) when North America split from Eurasia. According to the fossil record, primitive primates ( small size, lemur-like) appeared about 40 Ma. Ape-like primates appeared 25 Ma and the estimated time of hominid appearance is about 15 Ma.
Do I need to explain why your theory is wrong?

Then you said:

So you agree that the water rose and receded. Yet, this also explains the Beringia land bridge as it would have formed while the water was in solid phase in the ice caps. The waters around the Bering Strait are quite shallow so it is possible that the land bridge existed in the past.

Moreover, there are also genetic studies that confirm the links between North and South American native people and people from Siberia.

To me, the land bridge explanation is more valid than the simultaneous appearance of two groups of individuals on separate continents belonging to the same species, Homo sapiens.

It is unfortunate that you use some erroneous facts to advance a political agenda while insinuating that anthropologists are biased in their studies because their findings don’t fit your political needs.

Funny enough, I was just listening to this week’s SGU podcast, and they take on the question of the populating of North America, with some reference to recent discoveries. Kenny Feder makes the point that Anthropology is like any other science, in that consensus can be challenged, and often is, with the appropriate evidence. Lots of stuff about pre-Clovis evidence, the history of the controversy, etc.

media

Starts around 33:20 in the file, if you have a few minutes to listen in.

If you can’t play an mp3 file, you can subscribe, or listen using their online podcast player: theskepticsguide.org/

[quote=“BigThumb”]Besides the fact that this is hard to read, there seems to be a few inconsistencies in your story.

For example, you said:

Pangea’s final break-up phase was between 60-55 millions years ago (Ma) when North America split from Eurasia. According to the fossil record, primitive primates ( small size, lemur-like) appeared about 40 Ma. Ape-like primates appeared 25 Ma and the estimated time of hominid appearance is about 15 Ma.
Do I need to explain why your theory is wrong?

Then you said:

So you agree that the water rose and receded. Yet, this also explains the Beringia land bridge as it would have formed while the water was in solid phase in the ice caps. The waters around the Bering Strait are quite shallow so it is possible that the land bridge existed in the past.

Moreover, there are also genetic studies that confirm the links between North and South American native people and people from Siberia.

To me, the land bridge explanation is more valid than the simultaneous appearance of two groups of individuals on separate continents belonging to the same species, Homo sapiens.

It is unfortunate that you use some erroneous facts to advance a political agenda while insinuating that anthropologists are biased in their studies because their findings don’t fit your political needs.[/quote]

To the mainstream acolyte comfortable in his Garden of Eden.Ex-digitate! Where is the Beringea Turnpike down which all the First Nations of North and South America came?I lived in Old Crow for a year where some of the purportedevidence of an ice free corridor came.I asked one of my janitors Peter Lord who was credited with finding some of the so called evidence if his ancestors had noted Cochise Pocahontas or Hiawatha traipsing by and he answered in the negative.Wake up and smell the coprolite instead of nit picking you mental pygmy!

[quote=“howlingcross”]

To the mainstream acolyte comfortable in his Garden of Eden.Ex-digitate! Where is the Beringea Turnpike down which all the First Nations of North and South America came?I lived in Old Crow for a year where some of the purportedevidence of an ice free corridor came.I asked one of my janitors Peter Lord who was credited with finding some of the so called evidence if his ancestors had noted Cochise Pocahontas or Hiawatha traipsing by and he answered in the negative.Wake up and smell the coprolite instead of nit picking you mental pygmy![/quote]

LOUD NOISES.

Carry on dr thesaurus.

Welcome to HTMF.
Please make your arguments without insulting people here on the forum.
Thank you.

hitest

HAHA! One year in “Old Crow”? WOW I am impressed!
This comes off as very “preachy” to me, and usually when I have people like this, trying to force their world views on me, I shut the door!

[quote=“howlingcross”] … Why do the “green” scientists of Anthropology and Archaeology continue to proselytize this myth?

By perpetuating this smoke and mirrors they toady up to all the governments and funding agencies that wish to have First Nations depicted as immigrants in their own lands…

If the governments of the Second Nations stopped turning the “Nelson eye” to those facts which debunk this theory they could proceed more expeditiously with legitimate Land Claims…

So where did the First Nations originate? Right in the Americas, that’s why they are truly “ab origine”…

CONCLUSION

The Beringea Theory is a Potemkin Village whose sole purpose is to denigrate First Nations people as early immigrants and thus deny their “ab origine” rights… [/quote]

The above quotes perhap capture the gist of your theory, which seems to be that aboriginal rights derive from first nations originating in the Americas, and that proponents of the Beringia Theory are toadies of governments that seek to deny those rights by saying that aboriginal people are immigrants to the hemisphere.

Really, though, you have created a legal Potemkin Village by attributing to government a legal theory that bears no resemblance to how our courts have interpreted section 35 of the Constitution, which is what governments are bound by under our political-legal system.

Some people may consider migrations over ancient land bridges as “immigrations”. That’s an an odd way of looking at things (what borders were crossed?), but in any event that has no significance legally, or even politically for that matter, outside of the confines perhaps of a redneck drinking party or some other gathering of political weirdos.

Our courts have said that aboriginal rights and title protect practices that pre-dated British and later Canadian sovereignty and have continued on since then even if in modified form. The applicable date varies across the country, but in BC it’s the way things were immediately prior to 1846, not what happened sometime way back during geologic time. Peace to you as well.

[quote=“chiefdave”]HAHA! One year in “Old Crow”? WOW I am impressed!
This comes off as very “preachy” to me, and usually when I have people like this, trying to force their world views on me, I shut the door![/quote]

I was wondering when you would issue a retort.

[quote=“MiG”]Funny enough, I was just listening to this week’s SGU podcast, and they take on the question of the populating of North America, with some reference to recent discoveries. Kenny Feder makes the point that Anthropology is like any other science, in that consensus can be challenged, and often is, with the appropriate evidence. Lots of stuff about pre-Clovis evidence, the history of the controversy, etc.

[media][/quote]

(http://media.libsyn.com/media/skepticsguide/skepticast2011-03-30.mp3)

Starts around 33:20 in the file, if you have a few minutes to listen in.

If you can’t play an mp3 file, you can subscribe, or listen using their online podcast player: theskepticsguide.org/[/quote]

Very interesting stuff indeed.

Nit picking??? Seriously! I point out how your hypothesis is completely flawed and you call that nit picking instead of presenting evidence to counter my observations. Instead, you resort to using insults. Everyone here can now see that, in this discussion, you show a level of maturity that is below what most people would consider acceptable.

And before you reply, try to learn about the htmf wasteland.

The “land bridge” is a bad word for it. It would like calling Alberta a “land bridge” between BC and Saskatchewan.

Howlingcross, did you get a chance to listen to that SGU podcast linked above?

The guy they interview makes the point that the earliest physical evidence they have is 15-16 thousand years old. Do you dispute this?

Oh, and as always, wikipedia has a great explanation of the debate, and the state of the current consensus:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlement_of_the_Americas

mericas(Cremo,The Forbidden Archeologist)pg227-8,137-8

The admonishment from the administrator was justified and i apologize to Big Thumb for the unnecessary vituperation.Mea culpa!However in defenceof my attemptbto attract attention to the weknesses in the theory of Beringia as the sole means of peopling the Americas here are some more thoughts.Thomas Jefferson in 1781 opened the discussion of a Beringia theory with the “Origin in Asia” in “Notes of Virginia"He used this to advance the the rights of colonistsand negate First Nations rights to the land who he said had arrived within the previous 3000 years.This theory was sustained by politicians and scientists up to the 1940’s but soon discoveries of artifacts with much greater antiquity pushed the aboriginal arrival date to between 12-15000 years.(Churchill,Since Predator Came” pg266-7.What has followed has been a plethoraof anomalies carbon oruranium dating in the range of 30-70000 years with even Louis Leaky of Olduvai Gorge renown claiming a California artifact to be 100000 years old.Hardliners of the mainstream continued to reject all such discoveries as “too old”,“crackpot” etc.The rejection of these troublesome “enigmatic discoveries” by the cocervative archeologists,/anthropologists/paleontologists continues to this day.Despite this resistance to change a number of artifact discoveries in the Americas have now been dated in the millions of years(Cremo,The Forbidden Archeologist,pp227-8,137-8 etc

Pls excuse me, more than interesting discussion.

I am 50 years of age, have a mainstream background in business (early 90’s) & worked for the gov’t system in Health & edcation for 10 years.(recruited)

I am half Gitksan & half English, I respect both bloodlines within me, but my heart is %100 Gitksan.
I first recognize the Culture of good hearts & souls in all People.

I represent the only Authentic Traditonal Artists in the NW, some noteable names.
We are in discussions with Te Taru White (Maori Leader, International Speaker, Global Business) & the Port, in regard to a potential Culteral Pavillion.

Our office has been in existence for the past year, with our Administration being defined within the last 6 months.
A big part of the business is to Authenticate Traditional Art, which means the office must have our Story of Origin.

This information has been gathered for the first time, by Professional Traditional People, not system Anthropologists, no offense.
Anthropologist telling me about my culture, no matter how much education or respect, makes no sense.
That is just like me coming to you, to tell you about your family.

If I was given the power to tell you about you culture, no matter how diligent I was, I may get some things wrong…& it only compounds.

Much of the same research & information will be used, just omitting the “part truths”.
Maori quote: “…part truths are %100 lies, respectfully.”

There is no one big, comprehensive picture of our Culture, it is lost in silly, media confusion, to the point where our Story may never be told.
We are at that point now, this last generation of Elders is the last to speak our Languages, know our Oral History & Ancient Stories.
The information is a combination of Oral History shared by actual Elders (specific definition & distinguishment), Matriarchs & Leaders, along with substantial documentation & publications of the last 50 years, endorsed by govt & educational institutes.
Quote from UVIC Thesis, Patricial Vickers (tsimsian) Phd, 2008: “…60 years ago, we all spoke our languages, the languages are dying as we speak.”

Maori are leaders in Culture & Commerce, we are not only discussing business, but studying the Maori Model, so we can implement their Infrastructure to House, Protect & share with the world, our misunderstood Culture.

thank you for the respectful discussion.

I feel very disrespected and insulted by some of your claims on here.
Firstly you go on saying that you are half Gitksan and half English, and then go on saying that YOU are the only representation for Authentic Traditional Artists in the Northwest. This is pure BU!!SHOT and very disrepectful thing to say in Tsimshian territory. If you truly recognized culture, than you would understand a thing called respect.
Secondly, you claim to be in discussion with a Maori and the port in regards to a cultural pavillion. Again, PURE BS. Mr. White was a advisor to the Coast Tsimshian and the Port of Prince Rupert, to develope a concept for a Cultural Pavillion to represent the culture of these two First Nations, nothing more.
The overall concept or idea, which you put forward is a good one, but, under the circumstance, you are out of line and misrepresenting yourself and misrepresenting the type of authority it would take to be an actual authenticator of traditional art within the traditional lands of the Coast Tsimshian.

I ask you respectfully, do you know the 2 reasons Mr White was in Prince Rupert in Oct 2010?
Do you know how the relationship between the Port & Mr White came about?
Are you aware of the relationship he has with certain Traditional Artists of the NW in the last 5 years?

After researching Maori in 2008/2009, we sent a message to Mr White in Jan 2010.

We have been in discussions with Mr White for the past year regarding an administration to authenticate Traditional Art.
We have sat with him, along with Gitksan / Tsimsian Elders & Traditional Artists, where Elders shared for the first time officially, our story of origin, along with specific publications back to 1972 & recordings that go back to 1938.
These Elders are of course connected to Elders of all Nations.

This last generation of Elders is where the last authentic artists reside. For Authenticity, one needs Protocol & Eldership knowledge.
Mr Whites comment in Oct 2010 was, “…the Risk is High.” We fully agreed.
Some Elders would not reveal information until they met Mr White. They first saw him online in short Maori videos, “sharing power” & “a maori point of view”

There has never been an administration to authenticate traditional art, but more importantly, no administration to house our Oral History & Ancient Laws /Stories, along with our Hereditary System…our Culture, once Mr White confirmed this truth, discussions deepened.

The responsibility that this Generation of Elders has, can not be measured.

All of this stems from an 8 year business assessment from working within, of the local / NW infrastructures to determine big picture concerns & issues.

My intent is not to bang heads or foster bad energy, seen it all my life.